Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Joining the Royal Marines with a History of Depression

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by Guardie45, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Guardie45

Guardie45 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hey all,

I'm an 18 year old male, and I want to join the Royal Marines as an Officer in 2 years when I am done with my education. Thing is, from the ages of 14-16 I was dealing with depression, and self harmed a bit. I tried to commit suicide a few times when I was around the 14-15 mark. I am alive and well nowadays, and all that stuff is behind me. I used to be on antidepressants but came off them around about the end of 2018. I am currently on Melatonin to help me sleep, but will begin easing off them this Summer.

Will my history of depression and anti depressants eliminate me from joining the Royal Marines when I am 20? Thanks

2. JWJ

JWJ Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Firstly, it takes some measure of courage to freely admit to a past history like that, so hats off to you for that.

No one can tell you exactly how your medical history will effect your eligibility to join apart from those people in the process who make that decision (and they are not on this forum). Saying that, the document that outlines the medical policy is available via FOI, and can be found by googling JSP 950. If you navigate to the psychiatry section, it details the stance on depression, self harm and relevant medication.

Whilst of course none of us here are medically qualified or in the position to gauge your medical history or suitability to join, you can glean from the document that the odds are stacked against you joining when you’re 20.

The best course of action is always to apply, and hear exactly what the medical cell have to say on your suitability, as they will detail exactly why you’re unfit if found to be so, and from that you can see if it’s viable to join in the future, or if it’s a outright bar to entry.

If any info I’ve given is incorrect, then I am sure one of the sensible adults will be around to correct me and tell me to button it; and my summary advise is to apply regardless, they can only say no, and may say yes.

3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Welcome. As stated above the current medical standards for entry ultimately decide the matter. @The guide or @CHUB! might comment if they spot this.