Joining the royal marines

Chick3nHawk01

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all like the title says I'm joining the marines this is beciase I got medically discharged from the army for flat feet so I'm going to build up my fitness and apply next March
Thanks
RyanL

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Reality hammer inbound.

The Royal Marines medical is more stringent. If you were discharged for flat feet, you won't be waddling through the afco and straight onto a prmc I'm afraid. @Ninja_Stoker will clarify.

Xerath

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Judging from your signature you didn't make it as far as starting training. Do you mean you failed the medical questionnaire/medical at selection? As said above, I highly doubt you'll get through the RM medical.

Chick3nHawk01

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I know mate but I got discharged beciase there was no evidence to support me for my flat feet they wanted to know if I wear prescribed insoles which I do but I'm buying my own ones and they wanted to know about my toe surgery

Chick3nHawk01

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Judging from your signature you didn't make it as far as starting training. Do you mean you failed the medical questionnaire/medical at selection? As said above, I highly doubt you'll get through the RM medical.
I was on the medical they quoted my application was deferred which means basically discharged

Chelonian

Reaction score
I was on the medical they quoted my application was deferred which means basically discharged

Umm... no. I had to scratch my head a bit when I read the first post. Not wanting to be pedantic but there is a difference between not meeting pre-recruitment medical examination standards at age fifteen and being "medically discharged". The latter is generally applicable to those already serving. But—that aside—best of luck.

Chick3nHawk01

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Oh sorry I'm not that brainy so I don't know the difference sorry my mams boyfriend said try the marines they might take you

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
Oh sorry I'm not that brainy so I don't know the difference sorry my mams boyfriend said try the marines they might take you
As @Illustrious has stated, the RM medical is more stringent than the Army. If you are set on a military career, then another visit to your AFCO to see what options you have might be in order.

Good luck

Alan

Chick3nHawk01

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
As @Illustrious has stated, the RM medical is more stringent than the Army. If you are set on a military career, then another visit to your AFCO to see what options you have might be in order.

Good luck

Alan
Right I've got a careers advicer in my school who can sort it out for me like he will email and ask what it affects me and that

Wings

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
You are allowed in the army with flat feet

Chick3nHawk01

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
But ive had a look on the navy's website and it doesn't say anything about flat feet

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
But ive had a look on the navy's website and it doesn't say anything about flat feet
Perscribed insoles is also a bar regardless of whether you wear them or not. Also, being rejected by the army doesn’t mean you were ‘medically discharged’- that would be if you were to actually join up and discharged for something medically related so sounds like you definitely need to have a proper look into all the eligibility criteria!

Chick3nHawk01

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I know but if I wait 2 years down the line even if I buy my own insoles can.i still join even though I had them prescribed in the past

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
By the book, orthotic insoles prescribed by your GP and recorded on your medical record are a bar to entry in the Naval Service.

If a considerable period has elapsed since last prescribed, without further recurrent lower limb injury whilst undergoing sustained high intensity impact cv exercise over a prolonged period, similar to the rigours of RM recruit training - an appeal maybe worth a go. To successfully appeal you would need supporting medical evidence and verifiable evidence of a sustained, uninterupted training schedule (ie: more than a handwritten training diary).

Chick3nHawk01

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
By the book, orthotic insoles prescribed by your GP and recorded on your medical record are a bar to entry in the Naval Service.

If a considerable period has elapsed since last prescribed, without further recurrent lower limb injury or recurrence whilst undergoing sustained high intensity impact cv exercise over a prolonged period, similar to the rigours of RM recruit training - an apoeal maybe worth a go. To successfully appeal you would need supporting medical evidence and verifiable evidence of a sustained, uninterupted training schedule (ie: more than a handwritten training diary).
Right Ninja I've not used the prescribed insoles for like a month now and my feet are fine I use over the counter ones

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
As stated, to successfully appeal a considerable period must have elapsed without recurrence - ie six months to a year or more.

Chick3nHawk01

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
But if I like wait 5 months before I apply should that be fine because that would be 6 months from the last check up

New Threads