Joining the royal marines

ArtfulDodger

Reaction score
Hi there, I have some questions I was just looking for answers to really, as i want to join the marines, After training, is it difficult to get into the fleet protection group? Or do you have to do a few tours out in places like Afghanistan before you can ask to join? What is the best unit to go in? I've heard the fleet protection group spend a lot of time in the uk, is this true?, as a kickboxer, I know they do boxing, but is there chances to do kickboxing in the royal marines? Thanks.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
There's a reasonably good chance of getting a draft to FPGRM straight from training as the majority usually aim to join one of the three Commando units. FPGRM is a good platform to join the Fleet Standby Rifle Troop who conduct boarding ops worldwide or SFSG who support Special Forces overseas. Whilst FPGRM is largely UK based, it would be folly to join the Corps in the assumption you will serve exclusively in UK during your career.

Kickboxing is popular in most RM units.

ArtfulDodger

Reaction score
Thanks ninja, I don't like the idea of spending alot of time in the uk, I'd prefer to be away, what is the sfsg? I've been looking into joining for some time now and I like the idea of fpgrm, so I think it's about time to apply :)

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
SFSG is the Special Forces Support Group.

We don't know much about their role but RM run a mini selection course for them and they support SF around the world.
They were supposedly involved in the Nigeria SBS op that's currently in the news.

Other examples which highlight their role, but weren't actually SFSG, are:

Op Barras, Sierra Leone, 2000. The SAS rescued the hostages from one village while Paras provided mortar cover and a diversion attack to distract the enemy.

Op Gothic Serpent (Black Hawk Down), Somalia, 1993. Delta Force went in to the target building to capture some enemy officers, while the Rangers took the local area and provided security.

ArtfulDodger

Reaction score
That sounds pretty interesting too, Does anyone have any experience in either units? If so is it as interesting as it sounds?

Blorange

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
90% waiting around drinking tea and reading a paper, 10% action, and yes its tougher than RM training as its for the more advanced soldier or people who want to test themselves.

work on passing out first, after that look for going to SFSG, SBS SAS or other special forces units