Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Joining timescale

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Commando2912, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Commando2912

Commando2912 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I went to an RMAD recently which was an excellent insight into the fitness requirements. My scores were as follows:
    Bleep test- lvl 10
    Press-ups - 21
    Sit-ups - 33
    Pull-ups - 3
    3 mile run - 12:54 return
    My careers advisor and I have decided I am going to train for the specific tests etc and I’ll go to the next RMAD (around January time) and if I get around 14-15 points then I’ll get booked onto do my PJFT then hopefully PRMC around February and again hopefully start training around March next year. So I’ve been given around 4 months till PRMC and does anyone have any recommendations for training methods/plans for the current fitness level I’m at P.s I have only been training general fitness nothing specific to the tests ie circuit training etc I’m now going to start test specific training and push myself hard so I can make this timescale I have planned it will be hard work but I have determination to succeed at this

2. sharpe

sharpe Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    I think it’s a little optimistic aiming for prmc in 4 months based on those stats. I think to get the base fitness and leg endurance for determination test and endurance course will take longer to achieve. I don’t doubt your determination but I think you’d run the risk of over training and risking injury to try and cram the required work into your timescales. Just my take and plenty on here will be more qualified than me

3. sharpe

sharpe Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Sorry I wanted to edit my post but long phone call later I’d missed the opportunity. For clarification i didn’t want my post to sound negative, far from it. I’d say aim for 7 months, use the 4 to really build up your running progressively with hiit and longer endurance runs. Work on your body weight exercises. After that spend 3 months following arnys plan. I think for the sake of 3 months you’ll massively increase your chances

4. Commando2912

Commando2912 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Cheers buddy, I think I’m *text deleted* give arnys program a go but it’s just could I modify it to my capabilities for example, I got shin splints very easily running quite a lot at the start of this year and I’m worried if doing a bft followed by an 8miler next day etc might wreck my shins after the first week. But I was thinking I could do like a 1 or 2 miler best effort instead to work my self up etc

5. sharpe

sharpe Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    That’s why I’d spend some time building your base fitness before starting it. No point rushing and getting injured

• Like Like x 2
  6. JWJ

JWJ Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Arny's program isn't ment to be a foundation program, its ment to be the last few months before PRMC, when you've already built up to a good level of fitness.

You can follow the format, but adjust the mileage and exercises to suit your level, and increase them slowly but steadily, and then for the last few months before PRMC, aim to be doing the original amount

7. springbok

springbok New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yes, I asked the same thing a while ago and he said to start with you can half or even quarter it to start with and build it up

8. Commando2912

Commando2912 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Cheers guys, I should mention I already have quite a good base fitness, there’s a former boot neck who runs a fitness boot camp 2 times per week which I cycle about 2 miles too so the session which varies from circuit training to more running based sessions etc then I cycle back. I’ve been going to that for 8 months and it has massively made a difference so I’m not starting from scratch if anyone thinks I am. Cheers lads

9. The guide

The guide Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure

@Commando2912
    Sorry to be blunt , but on the figures at the top , you dont actually have a base line that is that high , i think that has been alluded to by above posters as well , you dont want to go not PRMC just hitting the lower levels ,ideally you should be able to surpass them with some ease as bear in mind you do a nice "warm up " prior to the tests and nerves , strange environment all come into play ..also a score of 14-16 will not guarantee entry, 21 or above will.

10. sharpe

sharpe Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    My son never mentioned this on his prmc;)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
  11. The guide

The guide Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure

He must have been in the "unlucky" course...:(..:D..amended.!