Joining up queries

Discussion in 'Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by JaFrJh, Aug 11, 2017.

1. JaFrJh

JaFrJh New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi there was just looking for some advice on joining up as an officer and the path I should take after finishing my GCSE's earlier this year. I want to join up as an officer but this means I will miss out on getting myself a trade due to A-Levels and degree etc. After speaking to my brothers and dad they have all said to make sure your set up for when you leave as have the badged lads that I've spoken to but thought I'd keep asking around. Cheers!

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

Welcome. Plenty of information, comment and robust debate on the forum so dive in!

Others will hopefully add their own perspectives but to kick off, bear in mind that a university degree is not a requirement for Officer entry. But that those with a degree will have the benefit of several years more maturity and life experience.

Also—just my opinion—but you've made a good start by starting to research and to think about the process. Keep an open mind about opportunities and options.

Feel free to point your dad in the direction of the Partners & Parents sub-forum here. It's a fine source of information and support for the families of those considering a career; the information being most pertinent because it comes from others' actual experience. Good luck.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Welcome.

To join as an Officer, you don't need a degree, as stated above...but you could do an OU degree whilst serving and let the service assist with funding.

I'd go along with the advice of having a career to step into when you leave but to play Devil's advocate, consider the following example.

If you join aged 18 as an officer and your (imaginary) twin went to uni first:

You would earn around £92K wages during the three years your twin was at uni, racking-up about £45K student debt, a difference of nearly £140,000.

Your twin would have a degree (vocational or otherwise) upon joining with no promotional or earning advantage, you would have three years leadership, management and military work experience and a green beret. Your wage would be £33,000 at the point your twin joins the service on £25K.

Upon promotion to Captain, your wage would be £45K at the five year point. Your twin would achieve the same, but three years later than you. By this time you could have also gained an OU degree whilst serving and earning a wage.

If you both leave upon achieving the rank of Captain:

Upon leaving, your twin is three years older and has a degree that was achieved at least five years prior. You could leave with a current degree, the same work experience, but three years younger.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  4. JaFrJh

JaFrJh New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    @Ninja_Stoker I have heard that becoming a captain is a whole lot easier if you go in with a degree is this true?

5. Ninja_Stoker

Nope. The degree makes no difference whatsoever.

It used to increase the start pay & afford accelerated advancement until a few years back, but now it's the same for all.

6. JaFrJh

JaFrJh New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Oh I see so the best thing to do is A-Levels then go in from there? The thing is I have been told I should have something to fall back on after I move on and not sure what that would be? Any ideas?

7. Ninja_Stoker

Only you will know what particular civilian job you wish to pursue and what qualifications are required for that job.

I'm not suggesting a degree should not be undertaken, just trying to illustrate the true cost of a degree and get you to question its value. To me, recruitment aside, a vocational degree is worth far more than an unrelated degree that may not even be relevant to a job or make you more employable.

Truth is, many parents want you to undertake a degree in the belief you may well change your career aspirations - particularly if you are politicised by the left wing fraternity often found in university students but seldom found in the middle aged teaching staff ;)

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  8. JaFrJh

JaFrJh New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yeah that makes sense, I don't fancy the student loans etc, am I right in thinking you can do most degrees or (degree type courses) from within the forces?

9. Ninja_Stoker

Assuming you meet the course criteria: http://www.enhancedlearningcredits.com

10. Ninja_Stoker

11. JaFrJh

JaFrJh New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    But you have to be in to do them? So won't help selection much right?

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  12. its_meg

its_meg Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I considered university but decided against it. Just starting second year of A levels and in the application for 2018 YO intake. I spent a very long time making this decision and found out about further education later on so feel free to message if you want to ask anything. :)

• Like Like x 3