Joining with a family.

Edinburghguy

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking for a little advice, I've wanted to join the military for years ( the Royal Marines have always appealed) but never got round to it, now I'm 22 with a fiancé and a daughter who is just under a year old, was just looking for other people who have joined the Royal Marines with a young family and what it's like? What it's like for your family? I have contemplated applying for RMR just now and wait till my daughter is a bit older then apply for the regulars.
Thanks for reading, hopefully you guys can give me some insight.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I'm 22 with a fiancé and a daughter who is just under a year old,

Welcome. Having a very young family and being away from home will always be a wrench. There's no point in suggesting otherwise.
From a practical aspect, with a very young child at home it's important that a proper support network exists for your other half and that family at home are fully 'on board' with your application.

As you stated, the RMR option exists which is worth considering perhaps until the little one is older. I understand that the current policy is that trained RMR ranks transferring to Regular service must start RT from Day One unless they have already previously completed Regular RT.

Edinburghguy

Reaction score
Welcome. Having a very young family and being away from home will always be a wrench. There's no point in suggesting otherwise.
From a practical aspect, with a very young child at home it's important that a proper support network exists for your other half and that family at home are fully 'on board' with your application.

As you stated, the RMR option exists which is worth considering perhaps until the little one is older. I understand that the current policy is that trained RMR ranks transferring to Regular service must start RT from Day One unless they have already previously completed Regular RT.

Thanks for your reply! I do believe she would be fully on board as I was going to apply just before she got pregnant and she was supportive of that, but she got pregnant and didn't want me to be away just before the baby was born. I'd be totally ok with starting RT again if I did join the RMR and wanted to join the regulars. I understand that your deployed straight after you complete RMR training?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Thanks! Can I ask how long RMR training usually takes? And are they always recruiting?
Approx 12-18 months. Recruiting is year-round with holding troops, but intakes commencing recruit training are usually once a year in Sept/Oct.

Edinburghguy

Reaction score
Approx 12-18 months. Recruiting is year-round with holding troops, but intakes commencing recruit training are usually once a year in Sept/Oct.
Thanks again for the information! Don't want to seem like a complete idiot with all the questions, but is holding troop just to get your fitness up to standard then the recruit training is to get your green beret ?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Thanks again for the information! Don't want to seem like a complete idiot with all the questions, but is holding troop just to get your fitness up to standard then the recruit training is to get your green beret ?
Yep that's pretty much it, but holding troop is only a couple of hours a week, so it gives you a benchmark to work from - the difficult bit is keeping the momentum.

Best way to look at it is a free gym session with a personal trainer,

Edinburghguy

Reaction score
Yep that's pretty much it, but holding troop is only a couple of hours a week, so it gives you a benchmark to work from - the difficult bit is keeping the momentum.

Best way to look at it is a free gym session with a personal trainer,
Thanks ninja, least that would give me a year to get to fitness, then maybe in a few years il be at a better standing to apply for the regulars!

Saz

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
The honest answer is there is never a good time when you have kids there will always be a reason not to, i know plenty of people who have joined with young children and it’s worked
We have a son and once we got a routine he was ok, training is def harder with contact etc but it’s not forever

Catto

Reaction score
Hi mate RMR Scotland are having 2 troop intakes next year like ninja said 1 usually in october (last week) but the next one will be around April time. So 1st prmc will be February/march. I know this because i failed my last prmc and im getting put on the Feb date.

I will say i was told this is not official yet. Just what is proposed.

If you do get your app in get straight on the holding troop nights its an hour of phys and a hour doing admin/interest lectures etc. Our det wont let you do phys till you have passed medical. But attending still gets you used to what is expected phys wise and used to calling them cpl, staff, sgt etc it will save your arms on prmc and you will get to know the lads in your det better before you arrive.

Sorry for the essay but worth mentioning out of 11 rct's in my det i think 3 are looking at going regular in the future even if it means starting again.

ivywavexxi

Reaction score
At my RMR initial brief a week ago the CSgt said that they had had one RMR who had finished training and taken all the extra opportunities going and was allowed to transfer straight to regulars (without repeating rt). He said it was on a case by case basis if you had shown the right level of commitment and fitness/correct quals.

Edinburghguy

Reaction score
The honest answer is there is never a good time when you have kids there will always be a reason not to, i know plenty of people who have joined with young children and it’s worked
We have a son and once we got a routine he was ok, training is *text deleted* harder with contact etc but it’s not forever
Cheers, yea I know it'll be hard no matter what age she'll be, but I'm sure if the Mrs will be understanding we'll be able to make it work! As you say il not be the first to do it.

Hi mate RMR Scotland are having 2 troop intakes next year like ninja said 1 usually in october (last week) but the next one will be around April time. So 1st prmc will be February/march. I know this because i failed my last prmc and I'm getting put on the Feb date.

I will say i was told this is not official yet. Just what is proposed.

If you do get your app in get straight on the holding troop nights its an hour of phys and a hour doing admin/interest lectures etc. Our det wont let you do phys till you have passed medical. But attending still gets you used to what is expected phys wise and used to calling them cpl, staff, sgt etc it will save your arms on prmc and you will get to know the lads in your det better before you arrive.

Sorry for the essay but worth mentioning out of 11 rct's in my det i think 3 are looking at going regular in the future even if it means starting again.
If the April intake is true would be great, still enough time to get some serious training in, il definitely be applying or going to see a careers adviser in the next few days! It's good getting advice from someone who is in the stages of joining RMR Edinburgh.

At my RMR initial brief a week ago the CSgt said that they had had one RMR who had finished training and taken all the extra opportunities going and was allowed to transfer straight to regulars (without repeating rt). He said it was on a case by case basis if you had shown the right level of commitment and fitness/correct quals.
That's really good to know too, as I say it would be something I really wanted so wouldn't mind doing it all again, I do join the RMR.

Catto

Reaction score
If the April intake is true would be great, still enough time to get some serious training in, il definitely be applying or going to see a careers adviser in the next few days! It's good getting advice from someone who is in the stages of joining RMR Edinburgh.
Well my det seem to think its going ahead so fingers crossed. Il send you a PM mate so i dont clutter your post.

New Threads