Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Joining with a joint strain

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by rmcwb, Jan 28, 2019.

1. rmcwb

rmcwb New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Hi there,

So I recently applied to join the Royal Marines, I have been doing my fitness training, push ups pull ups, etc, but about 3 years ago I cut my tendon on my right ring finger on a piece of glass after falling off my bike. Although it works fine it's at a slight angle and I was wondering if this would prevent me from joining up.

My question is do any of you guys know off anyone with a similar injury in the corps or will this decrease my joining chances on medical? (If there are any medical staff available that would be smashing!)

Thanks,

RMCWB

2. rmcwb

rmcwb New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
  3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I'm not qualified to give you a meaningful answer but one of the Careers Advisers on here such as @CHUB! may be able to offer guidance on the probable effect that your injury might have on your application. The CAs post here on a voluntary basis in addition to their day jobs so one will be along when the thread is spotted.
    Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Something Original

Something Original New Member

Simplest way is to pop along to your nearest Recruitment Office. I've spoken to them following an injury after breaking both of my elbows after also coming off my bike. One was a neck, and the other a head fracture, which is already risking a P8 (and thus PMU), and then compounded by notes saying I might not regain for RoM, which is another bar to entry if proven: I'm currently trying to get to see the Consultant who made those notes to remove or review those comments as my GP and Physio have both said that there is no limitation to the elbow RoM they can see.

Given that I'm a 'problem' candidate with a number of months living outside of the UK, and am a previous entry DUDT around 10 years ago, I'm going to be a nightmare but the staff were supportive, gave me advice on what I need to do, and it has at least given me a goal to aim for, And, even if nothing comes from it, I'll have got myself fit enough to potentially join: and open up other avenues to what you want in life. Should the answer be the worst case scenario, don't let it hold you back and keep with the goal. You never know if it might change, and with the age limit rising to 33, there is always potential further down the line.

For reference, the JSP950 is the information to which you have to conform and it is the one to which Capita have to follow. Might be worth having a look on the Google for it and seeing what comes up in reference to your particular injury.