Joining with a newborn

browner467

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
hi chaps, looking at going for regulars in the new year. I've got a little one due in January and was just wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience joining with a young baby? What's it like?

My partner is supportive but doesn't want me to apply, understandably, until our baby is here. Still smashing the phys though.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have kids myself but I'm sure there has been plenty of people with kids or married who have applied later in life who would have found it difficult for sure but still followed there dreams. Each person will be different in regards to how they deal with home sickness and the mentality of it all

The application process does take a fair bit and thats without any setbacks I'll be into my 7 month process next week and only at the pjft stage!.

Good luck!

Chelonian

Reaction score
hi chaps, looking at going for regulars in the new year. I've got a little one due in January...

Congratulations on your impending arrival!

I don't know where you are in the application process but starting RT too soon after the little one arrives is potentially a big risk.

Consider waiting at least a few months for the dust to settle and for you and your family to adjust to your new lives. Best of luck.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Welcome!

Fully concur, family comes first.

Most AFCOs will recommend you give it about six months if it's your first child, just to be sure everyone is doing OK and has a support network confidently in place in your absence.

If you are having a confidence wobble a teary call from home with a baby crying in the background is about as sophisticated as psyops gets ;)

browner467

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice fella's, I was planning on starting my application around July time with the intention of starting RT in 2019.

R

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
hi chaps, looking at going for regulars in the new year. I've got a little one due in January and was just wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience joining with a young baby? What's it like?

My partner is supportive but doesn't want me to apply, understandably, until our baby is here. Still smashing the phys though.

All been touched on now, but I can give a personal perspective to this. My daughter was alittle under a year when I joined and to be honest even as supportive as my other half was and how big her support network was if I knew what I know now I would have waited till my daughter was abit older to join. Say atleast 2-3 years old. You will miss seeing a lot of development, and when your home on the weekends/leave your exhausted, but partner and child will want your attention.

Good luck with joining but family should come first.

Saz

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
All sound advice given and I can only offer a partners perspective but I agree on waiting till they are a little older, we have a 7 year old and it’s not been easy but he’s old enough to understand why dad isn’t home all the time, however it works we have adjusted to the way of life and we get on with it
If you partner wants to talk to others that are in similar situations she should join the parents and partners group on here, we are a friendly bunch