Joining with psoriasis - instant medical fail?

Preston1966

Reaction score
Needing advice re son joining and passing medical with psoriasis can anyone help me?
My son really wants to join the marines but has had mild psoriasis affecting two small patches on his arms. Is this a definite no go to join and would he instantly fail a medical? It used to say if you body had more than 5% covered it was a cause to fail but I see mention of that has been removed from the eligibility document updated Nov 2020. Is he wasting his time training to get medically fit to apply? It’s his dream but I fear he will be turned down. Do they still consider folks with this if it’s mild ? Should he still apply ?
Thank you

Chelonian

Reaction score
Needing advice re son joining and passing medical with psoriasis can anyone help me?
Welcome. Medical standards for entry can change over time and obviously individual clinical circumstances are major factor.

@The guide might comment if he spots this.

In the meanwhile, if you haven't already done so, it might be worthwhile entering psoriasis into the forum search box. There are about four pages of content dating back to 2008 (so please be aware that some posts are aged). But some individual experiences are detailed and there may be some general nuggets of information in there.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
My son really wants to join the marines but has had mild psoriasis affecting two small patches on his arms. Is this a definite no go to join and would he instantly fail a medical? It used to say if you body had more than 5% covered it was a cause to fail but I see mention of that has been removed from the eligibility document updated Nov 2020. Is he wasting his time training to get medically fit to apply? It’s his dream but I fear he will be turned down. Do they still consider folks with this if it’s mild ? Should he still apply ?
Thank you
Welcome to the forum. Clearly you've already researched the matter in JSP950. The issue is whether the condition is active (ongoing) and whether or not it could potententially become debilitating in extereme environmental conditions.

Probably the best way to get definitive guidance in this particular case is for your son to register an interest online now, then follow it up with the written query to your nearest AFCO, requesting the condition is reviewed by the Service Entry Medical Cell (SEMC).

All he need do is give a brief covering letter stating there is a non-specific medical query and enclose the medical history and any supporting medicalevidence in a sealed envelope marked 'protect medical' together with the covering letter.

He should then hopefully get a response within about four weeks.

My gut feeling is if it is ongoing and requires prescribed medication is that it may not go the way he would wish, but hopefully I'm wrong.

New Threads