Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Journalist shot dead in Northern Ireland

Discussion in 'Military News and Clips' started by m1249, Apr 20, 2019.

1. m1249

m1249 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Police in Northern Ireland said Friday the dissident republican group the New IRA was probably responsible for the fatal shooting of a journalist during overnight rioting in the city of Londonderry.

The Police Service of Northern Ireland said 29-year-old journalist and author Lyra McKee died after she was shot during rioting in the Creggan area.

Assistant Chief Constable Mark Hamilton said a gunman fired a number of shots at police during the unrest Thursday evening.

"We believe this to be a terrorist act. We believe it has been carried out by violent dissident republicans," he said.

"Our assessment at this time is that the New IRA are most likely to be the ones behind this and that forms our primary line of inquiry."

A murder investigation been launched but there have been no arrests. Hamilton appealed for calm to prevail on Easter weekend.

An eyewitness told the BBC that a gunman fired indiscriminately into a crowd during riots on the crowded Creggan housing complex.

The New IRA is a small group of republicans who reject the 1998 Good Friday agreement that marked the Irish Republican Army's embrace of a political solution to the long-running violence known as "The Troubles" that claimed more than 3,700 lives.

The group is also blamed for a Londonderry car bombing that did not cause any injuries in January. It is regarded as the largest of the splinter dissident groups still operating and has been linked to several other killings in the past decade.

There has been an increase in tensions in Northern Ireland in recent months with sporadic violence, much of it focused in Londonderry, also known as Derry.

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rover

Rover Moderator

One report stated that it was “a stray shot from an indiscriminate shooting”!o_O:confused:

Translation anyone?:(

• Like Like x 1
  4. m1249

m1249 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    It wasnt aimed at the journalist directly. Thats one of the issues with these sort of shootings...bullets that do not hit the target continue flying for miles downrange with the possibility of hitting anything else that happens to be in their way

5. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Cameras show the gunman aiming at the Police Landrover, which had several people, including Lyra McKee, standing alongside. You have to be a special kind of stupid to think that discharging a weapon into a group/crowd, will not take someone out.

Alan

• Nailed It Nailed It x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Agreed. As an aside, forty years ago nobody living locally would have dared to identify the alleged shooters. How times change.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. rkec

rkec Member

At first I thought it was kids just mini terrorist wannabees but there is footage on the net from the protesters side shows the shooter and his friend immediately picking up the casings. Either criminal or terrorist trained, they knew what they were doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=25&v=WjzgYVvURno

Lots more footage and angles here

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-...-source-survey-of-the-shooting-of-lyra-mckee/

I guess the question here is does the community want to end this nonsense buy working with authorities on a prosecution or do they stand by these lads actions.

I can't help but feel that these journalists still don't take this area seriously. I think that whilst trying to convince us that it isn't serious, some of their colleagues in the industry actually believe them too. There is a reason cops turn up in armoured vehicles, helmets and body armour. Here's a tip, don't stand beside anyone that is wearing that stuff. It's not healthy, just naive.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

The IRA has never gone away. As a criminal organisation there is too much money at stake even if its political 'struggle' has ceased; or at least been suspended.

The murder of Lyra McKee has been attributed by some credible sources to 'New IRA'. Given the factional internecine hatred which still abounds in NI the two teenagers—if convicted—will probably live longer in HM Custody than they would have in the community.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Rover

Rover Moderator

Saoradh paramilitary parade condemned as having no place in society

Participants in Saturday’s march are ‘pathetic cowards’, says Minister for Health
    about an hour ago Updated: 54 minutes ago Sorcha Pollak

The Minister for Justice and Equality Charlie Flanagan has condemned the Saoradh paramilitary march held in Dublin on Saturday saying he found the displays very disturbing.
    “I know that all right-thinking members of the public are sickened at the sight of a small number of people in paramilitary uniforms, particularly after the horrific killing of a young journalist, Lyra McKee, in Derry on Thursday night. These demonstrators do not represent the views of the Irish people who have been united for many decades in rejecting paramilitarism and are rightly revulsed at this display,” he said.
    “I am informed that An Garda Síochána policed yesterday’s O’Connell Street event appropriately and with restraint in the circumstances. The gardaí have to continually use their training and judgment to balance the rights of people to demonstrate. They do this well and maintain the public’s trust. At the same time, I am regularly briefed on these matters and I am satisfied that the gardaí prioritise the security of the state in monitoring of all dissident activity and will continue to do so, in conjunction with the PSNI and other security partners,” he added.
    Mr Flanagan joined a number of public representatives in strongly criticising participants in the Easter demonstration which took place less than two days after the murder of McKee in Derry.

Minister of State for Defence Paul Kehoe said those involved had “no support, no legitimacy and no place in our tolerant society”.
    Retweeting a message from Minister for Health Simon Harris which described those involved in the march as “pathetic cowards” who have “no place in our democracy”, Mr Kehoe called for Saoradh to “disband and lay down their arms”.
    Also speaking on RTÉ news on Sunday morning, Mr Kehoe underlined that Ógalaigh na hÉireann were the real army of the Irish State and that the actions of those who marched on Saturday were “absurd”.

McKee (29) was shot dead during riots on the Creggan estate in Derry on Thursday night. The PSNI have said they believe those responsible for her death are connected to the New IRA and two men have been arrested in connection with the shooting.

Self-styled “revolutionary party” Saoradh, which paraded in paramilitary style through the capital on Saturday, said “if republicans were involved” in the killing of McKee, “then the IRA should apologise”.

Mr Harris retweeted a photo of the Saoradh march with the message “Pathetic cowards. No place in our democracy”.
    Fine Gael Senator Neale Richmond, chair of the Seanad’s Brexit Committee, also condemned the protest, describing it as “a disgusting attempt at intimidation by a worthless organisation intent on bringing back misery”.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Continuing the 'how times change' theme:

londonderry.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  11. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Former Combat Medic

Folks,

I knew Lyra. I will forever treasure the last WhatsApp message she sent me. It sums up her beautiful character.
    Genuinely one of life’s special people.

Lyra was an extremely sophisticated writer. Please seek out her work and read it. She often helped me when I was going through a tough time.
    It’s important people know that she believed in peace, tolerance and equality. Literally the exact opposite of those responsible. They will never win because Lyra will always be the future.

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1