Juggling time

snooker96

Reaction score
Has anyone on here successfully managed the RMR with police/ any emergency services shifts before ?

I was PMU’d for a long time, joined the police then got the ok from the navy after an appeal (I’m not looking to leave my job to start RT) . I understand the army reserve to be a lot more flexible with a few lads I work with doing it but my heart isn’t really with the army...

Griff149

Reaction score
A few lads in our current troop are in the fire service. That being said things are only just getting started for us so yet to be seen how easy it’ll be for everyone to manage.

snooker96

Reaction score
A few lads in our current troop are in the fire service. That being said things are only just getting started for us so yet to be seen how easy it’ll be for everyone to manage.
i can see how it would work but just haven’t heard of anyone doing it , when do you start rt?

Griff149

Reaction score
i can see how it would work but just haven’t heard of anyone doing it , when do you start rt?
Half the troop started their ROP in July, the other half start in August. Everyone needs to pass to get going properly in September

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Has anyone on here successfully managed the RMR with police/ any emergency services shifts before ?

I was PMU’d for a long time, joined the police then got the ok from the navy after an appeal (I’m not looking to leave my job to start RT) . I understand the army reserve to be a lot more flexible with a few lads I work with doing it but my heart isn’t really with the army...
It’s possible. I know of lads in all 3 emergency services being RMR. Most being ex regular though.
It is however more of a challenge for commitment, as you need to cover your shifts missed for Training.
Depending on your works local area/service you should have a Reserve Policy that lays out the procedures for Reserve Service. Usually that as Emergency Service, they have the right to refuse certain deployments for manning/publi safety, and a bog standard 2 weeks extra leave for continuation/annual training.

It’s possible but as you already know the commitment is high, with little understanding of flexibility for your employment.
You could always try it, and if it doesn’t work out, go Army Reserve. But in simple term it can be possible with a high commitment and it will be total admin, say goodbye to your family life.

Remember your work requires you to adhere to any policy stating a required amount of rest time before starting shift. So if you finish a Recruit Weekend on the Sunday, probably best not to roll straight into a Sunday nightshift or early shift monday, for example.