Just a couple of questions

Necki

Reaction score
Ok so I've been trying to wise up on the Royal Marines recently, but theres still a couple of things im unsure of, (this is in the POC section as I wish to be an officer)

1. How good at swimming do you have to be?
honestly I kinda suck at swimming, never been very good, but I can swim about 25-50m without drowning myself. I was considering going to the local sports centre / gym and trying to get swimming lessons, but the only thing holding me back so far is I reckon I would feel pretty stupid learning to swim properly aged 16.

2. Is it true if you fail a POC or Officer Training you can't apply again?
I seem to recall reading somewhere if you dont manage the training you cant got back again at a later date, this may just be BS though I'm not sure.

3. Do all Royal Marines/Officer have to undergo cold weather training?
It's not that I wouldn't want to do so, I would just like to know (Forewarned is forearmed and all that).

4. How fast/good do you have be at running?
This past Tuesday, our Public Services group did a 3 mile run and I reckon I did pretty well. The pace was first 1.5miles at I think it was just under 9 minutes, then I ran by myself a 10misn 15seconds second 1.5miles. (This was done on grass wearing studded footy boots if that makes a difference)
However my last bleep test was appaling, I only got to level 7.3ish, main reason being I hurt my ankle the week before (Doing kit run [running around a football field carrying benches while wearign 50s great coats]) and had a pretty bad blister. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll do another and see how good I actually am.

Err yeh, Im think thats it for the moment :amuse:
Thanks in advance

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
1. You need to be able to swim breaststroke at a reasonable standard and would be advised that at least 200 metres without pause should be a minimum standard to target before POC. Swimming is an excellent non-impact CV exercise & should ideally be the preferred method of exercise on alternate days between your road runs & whenever you are carrying a minor impact related injury.

2. Codswallop. If you fail POC you will be told when you may be eligible to re-take. (It could put you back a year). If you pass AIB & get selected AND start Officer training then you cannot usually transfer to Other Rank "in-service"- you must leave then re-apply. Depending on the reasons you failed Officer training, you may certainly re-apply if you still fulfill al the eligibility criteria (age especially) & are recommended to return. If you burn your bridges when you leave & are recommended never to return, then obviously you cannot re-apply.

3. They have no choice- if you're sent, you go. Whether you get sent depends entirely on whether your unit is going to be deployed to cold weather operational areas or merely sent on cold weather exercises. Either way, you can tell your appointer you only wish to serve in tropical climes & even go so far as to suggest the Bahamas preferably, however you should not join up with any other expectation than you are quite likely to serve in cold as well as hot operational areas.

4. You should aim to be able to complete 7 minute miles over 3 (then later 5) miles & aim to achieve 13.5 in the bleep test.

Incidentally if you're undertaking a Public Services Course & are relying on your BTEC providing enough UCAS points at A level standard for Officer entry, you are strongly advised to confirm the BTEC validity at your AFCO unless you are also taking full A levels in addition. Many colleges make outrageous claims with regard BTECs- again, check with your AFCO first.

Reaction score
Good advice as usual Ninja, I'd love it if I asked the Appointer to only send me to hot climates! I think I would be laughed out of the Corps with my professional reputation in tatters.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Well I'm 18 and I've never swam before in my life!

My understanding was that you do not have to be able to swim, but it is preferable, as I was told you would be taking swimming lessons on top of everything else.

But then it states there is a swimming test so I'm not sure...

Reaction score
You really want to be able to swim before you get there. There are a few sessions in training but generally you will have to do it on your own and that's during the limited time you have off. Learn to swim asap.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Well I'm 18 and I've never swam before in my life!

My understanding was that you do not have to be able to swim, but it is preferable, as I was told you would be taking swimming lessons on top of everything else.

But then it states there is a swimming test so I'm not sure...

If you cannot swim before you attend and cannot keep your head above water you will have snags, you may find drowning on POC can hinder your employability prospects.

In short you must be able to swim.

Necki

Reaction score
1. You need to be able to swim breaststroke at a reasonable standard and would be advised that at least 200 metres without pause should be a minimum standard to target before POC.

2. Codswallop. If you fail POC you will be told when you may be eligible to re-take.

3. They have no choice- if you're sent, you go.

4. You should aim to be able to complete 7 minute miles over 3 (then later 5) miles & aim to achieve 13.5 in the bleep test.

Incidentally if you're undertaking a Public Services Course & are relying on your BTEC providing enough UCAS points at A level standard for Officer entry, you are strongly advised to confirm the BTEC validity at your AFCO unless you are also taking full A levels in addition. Many colleges make outrageous claims with regard BTECs- again, check with your AFCO first.

- rite so....

1. I'm going to have to go down the local sports center (with pool) and see what I can arrange

2. Thanks I really wasn't sure about that

3. Ha, I think everyone got the wrong end of the stick, its not that I wouldn't/don't want to go do cold weather training, I was just wondering if it was compulsory?

4. The running shouldn't be a problem since I'm a quite strong runner and I've got plenty of time.

For UCAS points from the BTEC- it is supposedly (for two years )80 for a double pass (PP), 120 for merit/pass (MP), 160 for double merit (MM), distinction/merit is 200 + double distinction is 240 points.

Chances are I'll be getitng either a pass/merit or hopefully a double merit. I'm also studying Psychology for AS which should give me a decent amount. But right you are I'll have to check at the Southampton AFCO.

just a couple of other things,

Can Marine Officers take an E&E course (escape and evade) or is this specific to special forces?

What kind of troop would a newly trained officer be assigned to? Is it always a front-line combat section or is it where-ever the Corps/Navy wishes/needs?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
- rite so....k

1. I'm going to have to go down the local sports center (with pool) and see what I can arrange

2. Thanks I really wasn't sure about that

3. Ha, I think everyone got the wrong end of the stick, its not that I wouldn't/don't want to go do cold weather training, I was just wondering if it was compulsory?

4. The running shouldn't be a problem since I'm a quite strong runner and I've got plenty of time.

For UCAS points from the BTEC- it is supposedly (for two years )80 for a double pass (PP), 120 for merit/pass (MP), 160 for double merit (MM), distinction/merit is 200 + double distinction is 240 points.

Chances are I'll be getitng either a pass/merit or hopefully a d6ouble merit. I'm also studying Psychology for AS which should give me a decent amount. But right you are I'll have to check at the Southampton AFCO.

just a couple of other things,

Can Marine Officers take an E&E course (escape and evade) or is this specific to special forces?

What kind of troop would a newly trained officer be assigned to? Is it always a front-line combat section or is it where-ever the Corps/Navy wishes/needs?
Officers do undertake such courses, especially aircrew.

You basically go where you are required, but can anticipate frontline jobs from the outset.

Reaction score
If you can already swim 25-50m, then you just need to go practice. Just like running, you need to push yourself.

A few weeks ago, I struggled to swim 200m, now I can manage a mile and a half. Go to your local pool during a lane swim session, so their aren't loads of kids about, and crack on

Stizza

Reaction score
operations

How often do royal marines get sent on operation. I got told the army get deployed for 6 months every 2 years is that the same for the royal marines