Just a thought.

t00old4this

Reaction score
Hi all. I would just like to ask this question because its been on my mind for a while now. I am 25 yrs old, I first started my marine application last november but because of shin splints it has taken me til now to continue with my application. I have my PRMC on the 14th of October and I have read most of the threads on the injuries part of the site, and the fact that all these potential recruits (and my self) have spent the time and money on, changing technique, buying expensive insoles and trainers, getting GAIT tests and running on nice soft long grass etc etc, but what happens when you get to limpstone and you get given a 40 quid pair of boots and you are made to run on hard surfaces, that you (and i) havnt been training on because it hurts, and to top it all off we're doing this with alot of extra weight?
Sorry to bring this up, but I have put everything into this over nearly a year now, does anyone else think like this or am I just worried because i want it so bad?

Matt2085

Reaction score
I believe (could be wrong, just what I've read) but your not expected to be able to run with a lot of weight at the start, and that they build you up to be able to run with weight, your not expected to turn up able to do the 30miler with a house on your back *text deleted*.. they're just expecting a decent level of fitness, not superman ;)

I personally run in cheap as *text deleted**text deleted* trainers, no insoles and on a mixture of surfaces (woodland, football pitch, road, hills), it'll be over 2years before I finish college and apply but I dont *text deleted* turn up and be all shocked with running because I molly-coddled myself. I even wear a jumper and trackies in warm weather and shorts and t-shirt when it's raining to condition myself to go out in anything.

Hope I helped, someone please correct me if anything's wrong :eek:

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I would just like to ask this question because its been on my mind for a while now. I am 25 yrs old, I first started my marine application last november but because of shin splints it has taken me til now to continue with my application. I have my PRMC on the 14th of October and I have read most of the threads on the injuries part of the site, and the fact that all these potential recruits (and my self) have spent the time and money on, changing technique, buying expensive insoles and trainers, getting GAIT tests and running on nice soft long grass etc etc, but what happens when you get to limpstone and you get given a 40 quid pair of boots and you are made to run on hard surfaces, that you (and i) havnt been training on because it hurts, and to top it all off we're doing this with alot of extra weight?
Sorry to bring this up, but I have put everything into this over nearly a year now, does anyone else think like this or am I just worried because i want it so bad?
You could buy a cheap pair of boots and go fast walking in them,
only like once a week,
and stop if it hurts,
but it might get you used to it a bit.

Joe

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
You could buy a cheap pair of boots and go fast walking in them,
only like once a week,
and stop if it hurts,
but it might get you used to it a bit.
i'd recommend this as well man reduces the chances of getting splints again, these days i heard they add insoles to boots to help with shock absorption (*text deleted* that was due to health and safety apparently, of all the things to pick up on the H&S nuts pick up on boots...)

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
(*text deleted* that was due to health and safety apparently, of all the things to pick up on the H&S nuts pick up on boots...)
Well the most important thing to a soldier is his feet,
(I'm sure I heard that somewhere anyway :worried:).

Joe

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
yeah sure and i completely agree with doing it, but doing it in the name of health and safety, then sending us/them off to the tarzan course, commando tests and into combat just seems funny (as in amusing)- it's a bit like insisting we/they hold on to the banister when you go up the stairs for health and safety reasons, then asking you to jump out a window

t00old4this

Reaction score
Cheers lads, altho I dont wish injury on anyone, it sure does help to know other people are in similar situations. Thanks lads.

emerson88

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat mate. had shin splints a few times now but they're ok at the moment. Just bought a pair of top of the range running shoes and was worried about hitting training and having to run on road with boots on. But you can put insoles into your boots so I don't think you should run in crap trainers at all. It can't help at all. Some people are just really lucky and will never have a problem, others need to take extra measures such as insoles etc. I'm just going to take as many precautions as possible and pray they don't come back!

reid81

Reaction score
im about the same age and i think it comes down to being honest with yourself, yknow,am i bein soft/hard on my body etc.
and boots, humans can get used to anything.and if your ever feeling sorry for yourself.....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=reBTgLr-l_4

this guy seems pretty happy with the boots god gave him

M

MTW

you need to buy insoles for your boots, as the marine down at my afco was quick to pull them out of mine and show me they dont call them "cheese graters" for nothing, they are *text deleted**text deleted*.

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Try vaseline, smear all over the inside of your boots. The vaseline will eliminate most if not all the friction, it is this that causes blisters.