just done a 30 miler in 3hrs 30mins

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
on a bike though.. and it was over 30 miles really, only by a mile or two but shh.. *text deleted* :P

i thought it would be a good idea to cycle from south bristol to cheddar, only to find out it was longer and harder than expected.

and i nearly lost my shoe :S

just thought i'd randomly share that with you all

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
How did this near loss of your shoe occur.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
was going along a track leading up to a veiw point/beacon and there were really boggy mud puddles along the way, i went through a few without much trouble. then i came to one and my front wheel sank right in and the bike stopped so i put my foot down to help push the bike out, only for my foot to sink it as well, to just above my ankle

so i was trying to yank my foot out without losing my shoe but my shoe was fairly lose *text deleted*. so i gave one big yank and i fell on my side right into the mud and got covered *text deleted*, but i just about managed to keep my shoe.

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
hahaha thats classic, how far were you into the ride when this happened. Not sure if i would do 30 miles on a bike myself.

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted*, i thought you ran 30 miles in 3 hrs 30 minutes! Now that would be bullsh.t! Good effort though, longest I've done on a bike was about 25 miles, in the pennines... and that took a hell of a lot more time than 3 and 1/2 hours!

MrBannister

Reaction score
Looking for a bit of advice really here guys!! Ive recently been doing abit of biking nothing massive, just 5/6 miles, but honestly i feel more tired running 3miles, is bike riding benifical to enhancing your running times.

Reguards, lee

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ummmmm, i guess so, but running would be more beneficial because you are running *text deleted*. Additionally, you wont be required to ride a bike on the PRMC/POC

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i was about 15 miles into it.. so half way.. and the worst thing of all is i ran out of water then as well.. *text deleted*

but yeah i totally underestimated how hard it would be, i thought it would be easy, hour bike ride there, hour back. as i go on bike rides for like 3 hours a time cross country.

but christ it was difficult, and i thought it was much shorter. it was 12 miles to get to cheddar and i though ah 12 miles is nothing on a bike. but i totally underestimated the hills and what it would do to my legs.

got half way up a huge hill and was nackered so i thought i would take a break. but as soon as my right foot hit the floor i got a huuuge cramp in my quads and it was painful as hell, so i decided to get off my bike to sort it out and as soon as i put my other foot down i got a cramp just as painful in the other leg. bloody agony.

wont be doing that again for a little while though *text deleted*.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
unless you take riding really seriously and go out everyday and do like 15 miles or something like that on a bike then it wont be as benificial as running. i think there was a fella who came on here who does cycling at a national level or something and he said he done a 3 miler in like 16 minutes or something as such.

but your best of sticking mainly to running.

RossRobObey

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I'd say only bike as a bit of fun, or if you have an injury.

Reason being I used to so *text deleted**text deleted* loads of biking, about 20 miles a day 5 days a week, then another 50 or so at the weekends, then sometimes races during the week.

Anyway, kept that up for 2 years and when it came to starting to train for Marines, it didn't really help my running at all. The muscles used (or the way they're used) is totally different for cycling and running.

I've now cut down on the running because I have huge theighs that look totally stupid :redface: and don't really help my running.

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
swimming is also excellent for when you are injured. Because your body is in the water, it floats, so there is no weight on top of any injured parts of the body.

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted*, I was *text deleted* say yeeeeea, total bull*text deleted**text deleted* myself *text deleted*. Good ride. I did a 30 miler the other day with a friend as well. Took us 3 hours. Outside of our city here, we have this really old foot bridge where trains crossed. It's about 200 feet above the forest, and about 150 feet across, 15 or so feet wide. We went to there and back, was great. It's a bloody beautiful view too. Im *text deleted* do the bike trek again soon and take some pics.

At the end of the bike trip I couldn't help but visualize yomping that distance with the required weight for the 30 miler commando test. Just nuts.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
exactly what i thought.. i was thinking to myself. christ i cycled that and i didn't do any cardio for a couple days befor and i feel nackered.

but its made me respect a hell of a lot more how hard the 30 miler really is *text deleted*.

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
unless you take riding really seriously and go out everyday and do like 15 miles or something like that on a bike then it wont be as benificial as running. i think there was a fella who came on here who does cycling at a national level or something and he said he done a 3 miler in like 16 minutes or something as such.

but your best of sticking mainly to running.

I've got a friend who used to be in the US army rangers, he ran a 3 miler in just under 11 minutes, for that he got his name on the wall at he training base :D