Just finished week 7 onto Xmas leave

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Like the title says. Just finished week 7 and marshal star. got leave and a couple of weeks before we head back so i thought id post on here, knowing how much i used this site prior to training.

Any questions Fire away!

posh_punter

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
What did ex. Marshall Star involve pal? We just did the RMR version of Marshall Star, so I'd be interested to see how they compared. Both bloody freezing I imagine.

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
aye cold! haha a lot of Nav, both day and night, lectures on observation, FFOs and stalking, a night walk using NVGs, a fair bit of field phys, a stalk which was great fun and then a lot yomping on the final day!

posh_punter

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Sounds tasty. How long were you in the field for?
We didn't get to use the NVGs and no stalk, but otherwise sounds similar. Any idea how far your insertion and extraction yomps were?

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
4 days and 3 nights. We didnt do an insertion yomp. but on the final day we got bumped at 0400 and straight into a four mile yomp, quick break back at our original position then straight into another 4 miles back to camp.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
aye cold! haha a lot of Nav, both day and night, lectures on observation, FFOs and stalking, a night walk using NVGs, a fair bit of field phys, a stalk which was great fun and then a lot yomping on the final day!

You missed out the large amount of flashing mate ;)

posh_punter

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
4 days and 3 nights. We didnt do an insertion yomp. but on the final day we got bumped at 0400 and straight into a four mile yomp, quick break back at our original position then straight into another 4 miles back to camp.

Nice. Last ex we got bumped at 04:00 then straight into the extraction yomp. There's no better way to wake up in the morning. What sort of weight are you carrying on the yomps? I recon we're on about 70lbs.

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Nice. Last ex we got bumped at 04:00 then straight into the extraction yomp. There's no better way to wake up in the morning. What sort of weight are you carrying on the yomps? I recon we're on about 70lbs.
Honestly have no idea mate, its full bergen and everything but not a clue how much it was.

DhobiWanKenobi

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Honestly one of the worst exercises for me and many others I’ve spoken to, so enjoy leave knowing that is out of the way!

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for coming back on! If there was one thing you could/should have done before starting training what would it be?

Rob20

Reaction score
Honestly one of the worst exercises for me and many others I’ve spoken to, so enjoy leave knowing that is out of the way!

I'm in the same troop and that's good to hear. It was good but very tough. Hunters moon next -vomit-

Rob20

Reaction score
Honestly have no idea mate, its full bergen and everything but not a clue how much it was.

I reckon we must have been at about 60-70ish lbs. The extra rations and water made some difference I think. Damn flask

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Good effort @SCOTTY6 , thank you for taking the time to check-in, feedback really is invaluable.

What would you say has been the biggest shock to the system so far and is there any aspect you've struggled with in particular? Anything you have found easier than expected?

Enjoy your leave, an ideal chance to recharge your batteries. Don't get too comfortable though - keep the phys ticking over otherwise the journey back is more difficult than it needs be.

Have a great Christmas!

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Thanks for coming back on! If there was one thing you could/should have done before starting training what would it be?

no problem! get friendly with your iron! get a good one too! also i managed to learn to climb ropes in my gym thats run by an ex bootneck before i went and that helped massively! ropes can be difficult to learn and the learning curve is steep. they expect you to be climbing to the top at the end of your second session. so yeah if you can get to a crossfit gym or something and learn the RM style of climbing i would do it! dont ask a crossfitter how to do it *text deleted* they climb differently! if you havnt got anyone to teach get your hands on sean lerwills RM physical training guide and its in there.

Good effort @SCOTTY6 , thank you for taking the time to check-in, feedback really is invaluable.

What would you say has been the biggest shock to the system so far and is there any aspect you've struggled with in particular? Anything you have found easier than expected?

No problem Ninja!
i think the biggest shock was the initial shock of capture. Literally everything you know, even your first name is taken from you. the first couple of days had many lads thinking what the hell am i doing here! but stick it out and it all kind falls into place and it eventually makes sense. there are points in foundation where your head explodes. when they give you all your kit for example. its sitting on a pile next your bed and youre thinking how the hell am i *text deleted* get that to look like the display locker! i struggled initially with doing admin methodically. I would flap and do parts of jobs at different times when i should just crack on with one at a time but i managed to get that ironed out (excuse the pun). i havent found anything particularly easy but you adapt and get better to make things easier, its a gradual process but it works! like im surprised at how well our troop works off just 2 hours sleep and that kind thing! just stick in there and it all gets better! its definitely a roller coaster±
i hope this helps!

thanks ninja! yeah we have been given a phys plan by our PTI to do over the holidays in prep for gym pass out so it will be a working holiday for us! Have a good christmas!

PS for anyone about to start training. 1 solid piece of advice:

DO NOT. i repeat DO NOT Go in the PTI staff room. Even if one of them tells you too. Run away. If they grab you fight back and run away. Just stay away from that door. Thats all im saying.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Excellent feedback and some first class tips, thank you.

Enjoy your leave - catch up on your sleep and have a cracking Christmas.

Rest assured you're not alone feeling low when the time comes to get back on that train.

Rob20

Reaction score

DO NOT. i repeat DO NOT Go in the PTI staff room. Even if one of them tells you too. Run away. If they grab you fight back and run away. Just stay away from that door. Thats all I'm saying.

Ahh the memories mate -vomit--vomit--vomit--vomit-

Fibonarchie

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
no problem! get friendly with your iron! get a good one too! also i managed to learn to climb ropes in my gym thats run by an ex bootneck before i went and that helped massively! ropes can be difficult to learn and the learning curve is steep. they expect you to be climbing to the top at the end of your second session. so yeah if you can get to a crossfit gym or something and learn the RM style of climbing i would do it! dont ask a crossfitter how to do it *text deleted* they climb differently! if you havnt got anyone to teach get your hands on sean lerwills RM physical training guide and its in there.

No problem Ninja!
i think the biggest shock was the initial shock of capture. Literally everything you know, even your first name is taken from you. the first couple of days had many lads thinking what the hell am i doing here! but stick it out and it all kind falls into place and it eventually makes sense. there are points in foundation where your head explodes. when they give you all your kit for example. its sitting on a pile next your bed and youre thinking how the hell am i *text deleted* get that to look like the display locker! i struggled initially with doing admin methodically. I would flap and do parts of jobs at different times when i should just crack on with one at a time but i managed to get that ironed out (excuse the pun). i havent found anything particularly easy but you adapt and get better to make things easier, its a gradual process but it works! like I'm surprised at how well our troop works off just 2 hours sleep and that kind thing! just stick in there and it all gets better! its definitely a roller coaster±
i hope this helps!

thanks ninja! yeah we have been given a phys plan by our PTI to do over the holidays in prep for gym pass out so it will be a working holiday for us! Have a good christmas!

DO NOT. i repeat DO NOT Go in the PTI staff room. Even if one of them tells you too. Run away. If they grab you fight back and run away. Just stay away from that door. Thats all I'm saying.
Would you be able to post the xmas training plan? I don’t know if that’s allowed or whatever and obviously it’s intended for week 7 nods but it would be great to see!

Rob20

Reaction score
Would you be able to post the xmas training plan? I don’t know if that’s allowed or whatever and obviously it’s intended for week 7 nods but it would be great to see!

To be honest mate alot of it is based around the sessions you do down at CTC such as IMF and swim circuits. The basics of it is just a few runs a week. A few swims and circuits most days. Nothing crazy, just enough to keep ticking us over.

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score

yeah like @Rob20 says its basic stuff. the circuits are basically run throughs of a specific element of the gym pass out, like four courners or beam routine etc. just with some runs and sprints thrown in! unfortunately i cant post a pic of it as its got our PTIs details on it!

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
Best leave phys advice for those in RT solely to the PTI staff at CTC :)