Just had Surgery for MTSS (Shin Splints)

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I am currently laying on my bed,after having had surgery on my legs today.

Over the past year ive had 'shin splints', paid hundreds for insolves,treatments etc with no avail. I had to cancel my first PRMC Sept 2007,then waited and thought i had healed them.
I then applied again this year,and passed a PRMC in July/Aug,even though i had problems (left CTC after PRMC with golfball sized lumps on my shins)

I then decided that the RMR would be a better route for me,mainly to give me more time to sort myself out,but also because of my partner,her child and my family life at the moment.I wasnt keen on giving it up.

Unfortunatly i have now had to scrap the idea of joining up,again. For the moment at least. I was told that i couldnt attend the RMR intake due to not giving enough notice about my application switch,fair enough. But it was a blessing in disguise *text deleted*. As my legs have been very unmanagable latly.

So i decided to see a speicalist and he said i had MTSS,with the possibility of some compartment syndrome. So here i am, a good few grand later (Went private),unable to realisticly leave the house for 2 weeks,or shower etc im now hoping this is the final piece of the puzzle.

Ive wanted to be a Royal Marine for as long as i can remember, but its never quite gone my way. I know the Corps not going anywhere,but i feel my AFCO dont take me seriously because its the 2nd time ive canceled at the last minute. I told them the first time that i canceled my PRMC because i was injured. And this time i was worried about telling them it was for the same injury,so in a way it was good that i got told i couldnt attend the RMR intake and had to wait 6 months without having to withdraw myself.

Ill get there one day,but for the moment im bloody bored and fed up!!

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Gutted for you mate, but keep trying!!

Macca

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
The dream may seem distant mate but its still insight, keep up the great work fella and I wish you the best of luck

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers lads. Been a bit up and down for a long time as one minute i see some light at the end of the tunnel,pass PRMC and think im about to crack on with things,then its back to the beggining.

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to hear, I hope it all goes well for you in the end.

Chris92

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
best of luck with everything pal!
hope all goes well for you!!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hope you get better soon Sam.

Far rather you cancel a PRMC than knowingly attend one carrying an injury. I can see both sides to your point of view with regard your disappointment and equally from your AFCO perspective.

If you were carrying an injury there was little point booking a PRMC in the knowledge you were not fit to attend. The problem with late cancellations is it deprives those candidates that were fully fit to attend as there isn't enough notice to fill the gap. Likewise those who are injured tend to leave it until the last minute to cancel in case a miraculous recovery occurs (sadly with shin splints, there's no quick fix).

Anyway, best of luck in your recovery & ultimate goal.

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks.

I hate thinking that people dont take me seriously. A lot of my mates didnt even beleive me when i said i had an injury,they just said , "get on with it,your not cut out to be a solider". So i did,and although i loved PRMC and was keen to crack on with training,deep down i was never as happy as the other lads because i knew i was pyhsically still not 100%. I thought i was when i re-applied. But the weeks leading up the PRMC i got more problems again and i could see the AFCO binning me if i just done the same as last time.

I cant wait to just be able to go out and run pain free,train with one thing in mind,the Corp,not pain from an injury.

At least im lucky enough to have a crack at it,some lads dont even get past the first hurdle due to asthma etc. Its just annoying having to wait so long for something!

christomo

Reaction score
its a shame to be injured when you seem to want it so bad

hope it all turns out for the best anyway mate

manonfire

Reaction score
Unlucky mate keep your head up pal.

MTSS i think thats what i keep getting. What does the surgery involve? Cutting the muscle away from the bone?

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeh thats it mate. Shin splints is basically either MTSS (Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome),so stress to the tendons and muscles near the Tibia,a Stress Fracture,or Compartment Syndrome.

I cant remember the name of the opperation,but it basically involved cutting along side the Tibia/Shin bone,releaving the tendons and muscles that run along side the bone by cutting them away,and they will then grow back without too much hassel,nice and new,instead of damaged and attached to the bone.

manonfire

Reaction score
How did you know you needed this operation? Did MTSS keep coming back? I keep getting this pain on the inside of my legs and it's starting to *text deleted**text deleted* me off

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I done pretty much everything else but an opp mate,and it didnt help.

In order of treatment

Doc (*text deleted*!)
Physio
- RICE (Rest,Ice,Compression,Elevation) as told by Physio
Podiatrist (Foot speicalist)
More Physio's
Orthotic Insoles
MRI scan for Stress Fracture
Opp

Basically after none of the others helped i went to a speicalist and he then went down the line of checking for a stress fracture first,then when this wasnt the case,he said it was MTSS.

Unfortunatly mate its a bit hit and miss. Every has a different case. For a lot of people some of the more basic things work,rest,ice,reduce running mileage etc. Then i took the plunge into the expensive stuff. Luckily my parents were able to help with a lot.

Dont get me wrong the NHS is fine,but bare in mind in the space of 2 weeks, i saw 2 speicalist consultants,had an MRI and an Opp. I wouldnt have even seen anyone in that time if i went down the NHS route.

First port of call if you havnt see anyone mate is go to a Physio

manonfire

Reaction score
I've been to see a musco skeletal podiatrist and he's told me to buy new trainers and sold me all kinds of inserts to go inside em. Spent the best part of 300 quid and have got shin splints again.

How much did this private op cost if you dont mind me being nosey?

tcsmith88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Very unfortunate, mate, and sorry to hear it. But keep your dream in mind, never lose sight of it or give up on it. It might even help spur you on when you think your dream is dying. I actually posted on another lad's thread elsewhere on the site who too has had a very unfortunate injury. And that is, remember this particular part of the Marines ethos... "Cheerfulness in the face of adversity" (=

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
To be honest mate it probably was a good few grand,at least. Im sure you could have it on the NHS like i said,but i wanted to nip it in the bud asap.

TheYeti

Reaction score
I'm having similar grief with my lower legs. Though the physio seems to be doing the trick for me.

It's really grim, the words 'my legs hurt' as an excuse for ringing up the AFCO and pulling out of PRMCs really sucks '*text deleted* it sounds such a cop out limp wristed excuse!

As you say the corps aint going anywhere and there's no point rushing things.

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I know mate, i can apprieciate the AFCOs point of view. But at the end of the day when you get injured its never simple. Everyone says tell them straight away etc,but if you say,a few weeks before your PRMC,RT,and you think you can manage it,you would regret it if you rang up,and then your 'dodgy knee' or 'shin splints' cleared up in time and you wouldnt have shown much grit.

Its a shame that so many lads seemed to get injured. I think back to my first PRMC i canceled back in 07. I just think i could have finished training by now,but here i am,probably having spent 5 grand trying to fix somthing that isnt certain,just to level out the playing feild and get to the point of starting training.