Just in case

Gidion

Reaction score
Hi all.

I was looking through a few threads on this site, and came across someone saying that if someone was to be prescribed an inhaler, they wouldn't be able to join until 4 years had passed. Im not asthmatic but was prescribed an inhaler after a rugby injury. Basically, I tackled some fat geezer and he fell on my ribs. I found myself short of breath on occasions and went to the doctors to see if they could help. I did various lung capacity tests and breath tests, and the doc said i had one of the healthiest sets of lungs she'd ever seen. however, she gave me an inhaler 'just in case'. I have never used said inhaler and haven't had any problem with breathing since about a month after doc's visit (about 1 year has passed now). basically, i was wondering if even possessing an inhaler was enough to hinder application?

thanks for reading and hopefully, helping.

SHorgan

Reaction score
If you haven't used it and don't need it, they don't need to know about it. But by no means should you take that as gospel, there's lots of knowledge fonts on here that know a lot more than me, it's just my opinion.

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It will only be a problem if it's on your records-don't mention anything to them and if it comes up duirng your medical explain you never used/needed it and your 100% fit and healthy. I had a similar thing when a doctor tried to give me an inhaler when I had a chest infection-I refused to taked it point blank because of the potential for it to cause problems with my application

jeremy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
service doctor may ask for you to get a reference from your gp to confirm your story

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
You must declare whether you have ever been prescribed an inhaler or if it is subsequently revealed you have knowingly witheld medical information, you may be discharged on medical grounds during phase one training. It's a lot less hassle to get the issue resolved before you join.

The reason for the stringent rules is because people tragically can & do die of asthma.

The medical examiner will write to your GP requesting further detail- you should advise your GP beforehand to ensure he/she replies promptly.

You need to be 4 years clear of being prescribed an inhaler & your GP will need to explain why they treated you for asthma in order that you may be passed fit for entry.

Good luck.

Gidion

Reaction score
thanks for response peeps. Il be gutted if my application gets delayed, as *text deleted* never even used the *text deleted* thing! Il go and have a word with my doc and see what i can do.

thanks again