Just some advice

Simon1992

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, I have been searchin for a good RM forum and this seems to be the one :) so I feel comfortable posting here.

Ok so, I have wanted to join the Marines for a while now, I just want an active lifestyle but also I want a good civilian lifestyle, well maybe.

I can't make my mind up between the Regular RM and the RMR, I will be going to college next term to do my a-levels and then was thinking maybe after that join the Royal Marines. I will be studying ICT in college and this is were I get stuck.

Would it be better to join the Regular RM as I want that lifestyle and have my ICT qualifications for when I come out or do I go on studying more and join the RMR.

Im just not to sure which one to choose!

Hopefully there is someone here with experiance that can give me some really helpfull advice, also I live in Merseyside and training is in Devon right? This would be a treck each week just to go to training, anyone else have this problem?

Thanks
Simon

R. M. Pitt

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Hey welcome to the forum.

If you have enough spare time why not join the RMR until you finish your education? Then you could join the regs after.

Simon1992

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply mate and thanks for the welcome.

I was thinking doing that but i would only be able to join in my second year due to dental braces so im pretty stuch in civilian life for i would say another year.

Does anyone else travel from merseyside to Lympstone for training on this forum? How do they find the journey?

Thanks
Simon

Simon1992

Reaction score
I wish I could choose! Luckily my burning desire to join has only just started, ive been interested for a while but now I crave the marines and luckily my treatment is nearly over :)

I guess I have longer to prepare myself :)

The thing is, I want to go down to the AFCO but I think a year in advance is a little to early : D, or is it? :P could anyone tell me?

Thanks for the reply mate
Simon

R. M. Pitt

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I think you can go to the AFCO for info whenever you want.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
first time i went to the AFCO to find out about the marines was 8 years ago... *text deleted* don't think a year is too early, you can never be overly informed. except when it comes to parental bedroom antics etc

Simon1992

Reaction score
*text deleted* that made me chuckle.

Well thanks for the advice, I will ring my Careers Office up tomorrow and book an apointment but explain to them my situation :)

Thanks for the help
Simon