karate or judo......

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
hi

stuck at the moment, well let me explain, in year 4,5,6. of primary school i did judo loved it moved to 2ndry school, they didnt do it.

anywhom, i am now 17 and a half, and i want to start karate or something like this, for 2 reasons to get fit'er, and to defend myself better.

i don't know am i to old to start like???? this i a problem for me, would be worried to go to a club feeling ''left out''

also is it worth me going when i ''could'' be in rt by the end of the year??

advice please,

cheers

CJ

Sam

Reaction score
CJ. You are not to old to start Karate.
I did it for years and some people were starting in their 30s and 40s.
So go for it fella and enjoy it.
Steve

SHorgan

Reaction score
I did Judo for 3 1/2 years from 7 - 11. I then moved to Australia and I am now practising Jiu Jitsu. Here's my advice: Stick with Judo. Judo and Jiu Jitsu can beat any other martial art if you know how. Karate strikes are useless when a Judoka is as close as he needs to be. But, if you want to do Karate, by all means start it, it's never too late and because you've had previous martial arts experience you will most likely pick it up very fast.

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
My Dad and Older Brother (20) Are both Black Belts in Karate.. Just fort id let you know *text deleted*..

Sam

SHorgan

Reaction score
Hey I'm not saying Karate is a bad thing, it all depends what your after. Karate is by far a better martial art for fitness and strength than jiu jitsu and judo, I'm talking from a fighter's point of view - both judo and jiu jitsu work on a marvellous philosophy: "If pushed, pull."

Satch

Reaction score
Judo and Jiu Jitsu can beat any other martial art if you know how.

I'm *text deleted* have to disagree with you there. I've done both Judo and Karate and Judo has become far too much of a sport for it to have any practical self defence applications and from what I've seen of Jiu Jitsu there are too many complicated locks. If someones punched you in the nose you arent going to be thinking too clearly! Anyway, in the UK you are legally allowed to strike first with reasonable force if you genuinely feel in serious danger and by reasonable force that means putting your opponent on the ground so that they can't attack you. The karate club I go to when I'm at Uni also does practical self defence as well as knife defence classes (and by practical I mean someones trying to hit you in the face and if you dont defend yourself you will get smacked).

Having said that all martial arts have their merits and if you *text deleted* go for Jiu Jitsu go for it!

SHorgan

Reaction score
The Jiu Jitsu I learn encompasses:

Throws
Trips
Locks
Grappling
- Ground
- Standing/Ground
Defences
- Strikes
- Weaponry
- Knives
- Side arms
Strikes

I find this caters for most fights and although the arm locks are complicated, they are all in defence and all have certain scenarios attributed to them. Our ideal way of fighting is by not grappling at all, but that's the way it ends up most of the time.

hughbrown

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i do Yuishinkai Kobujutsu which focuses on
weapons
locks
escapes
empty hand
strength
respect
and to avoid getting in bad situations so it depends what you want

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The best Martial art

Im not the hardest person in the world but I have studied a wide range of martial arts and Muay Thai is by far the best and most practical martial art, complimented well by jiu jitsu.

I studied Judo all through my younger years, (pre school and primary school) I started Karate in high school but after 6 months changed to Tae Kwon do.

More recently I started Muay Thai and its so so much more pratical. It teaches you to be able to deal with and not be phased by pain/taking a blow. It focuses massively on elbows and knees, which do so much damage with so little damage to yourself.

If you watch the UFC, Cage Rage, Pride, TKO, etc, you will see that 80% of the fighters practice Muay Thai, and about 70% Jiu Jitsu. Some argue that Jiu jitsu locks, grapples and bars are complicated, but if you practice them day in day out, like with anything, they become second nature.

Jiu Jitsu focuses massively on ground work and those with fighting experience know that if both yourself and your opponent are content on winning, 95% of the time you end up on the ground, the 5% is when you get a standing knock out and Muay Thai is the best for this as your elbows and Knees are devastating!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Karate or Kickboxing Jollies Bar 32
PRMBenjey1993 Royal Marine Judo Player Selected For London Olympics Military News and Clips 1