Kettlebells for throwing the vertically challenged

User1234

Reaction score
What is your opinions on the whole hardstyle vs softstyle? I think they could have come up with some less suggestive names!

User1234

Reaction score
Made a typo in the thread title if possible could a moderator change it to kettlebells for throwing the vertically challenged

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I am from a hard style training style. Never done GS. Back in my old days you only needed a Tabata swing or a 10-minute snatch test to feel alright . :)

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I can upload all of (I think) Pavel’s book if you guys are interested tomorrow.

User1234

Reaction score
That would be great thanks, I think there is such a one side vs the other when in reality they can compliment each other well if a mix is used. Saying that I used hard style aswell because I am not taking out a loan to but competition kettlebells :)

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Well it’s quite more different than just the kettlebell shape.
For all things kettlebells look up Mark Wildman on YT. I can’t stop mentioning him but I really like how he breaks down movements and explains them. There is always something new to learn from him.

User1234

Reaction score
I have watched a few of his videos, he is a bit too focused on health, longevity and clubs for my liking but he is very good at making complex movements more simple.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Well having multiple knee surgeries certainly make you focusing moving well. :)

User1234

Reaction score
I don’t doubt it, are you doing any kettlebell specific training at the moment if so what kind of programme are you on?

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
No, not at the minute as I sold my garage gym a year before Covid. Currently, just BW, running only and every now and then a little bit of mace for maintaining my shoulder’s health.

As soon as the gyms reopen I will a little bit again but not too much as I need to focus on interval runs.

I will swing twice a week (10 min EMOM):
part of Wednesday:
Week 1: 10 x 16kg
Week 2: 14 x 16kg
Week 3: 18 x 16kg
Week 4: 10 x 20kg
Week 5: 14 x 20kg
Week 6: 18 x 20kg
Week 7: 10 x 24kg
Week 8: 14 x 24kg
Week 9: 18 x 24kg
Week 10: 10 x 28kg

part of Friday:
Week 1: 12 x 16kg
Week 2: 16 x 16kg
Week 3: 20 x 16kg
Week 4: 12 x 20kg
Week 5: 16 x 20kg
Week 6: 20 x 20kg
Week 7: 12 x 24kg
Week 8: 16 x 24kg
Week 9: 20 x 24kg
Week 10: 12 x 28kg

part of Tuesday's warm-up:
Armbar to TGU up to windmill to TGU down:
1-1 16kg
1-1 20kg
TGU:
1-1 24kg
1-1 28kg
1-1 32kg

That's it and twice a week when I have forearm conditioning, I will do farmer's walk, but no clean, snatch or anything else.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Books. I would start with Enter the kettlebell first and Return of the kettlebell second. The rest are mostly just about programmes.

Attachments

• Enter The Kettlebell Strength Secret of The Soviet Supermen by Pavel Tsatsouline (z-lib.org).pdf
    21.3 MB · Views: 6
  • Dan John And Pavel Tsatsouline - Easy Strength (2011).pdf
    5.8 MB · Views: 4
  • Pavel Tsatsouline - Beyond Bodybuilding.pdf
    9.4 MB · Views: 2
  • Pavel Tsatsouline - Power To The People.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 3
  • Pavel Tsatsouline - Simple & Sinister.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 2
  • SFG Prep Guide.pdf
    665.8 KB · Views: 2
  • The RKC Book of Strength and Conditioning.pdf
    10 MB · Views: 1
  • Return of the kettlebell by Pavel tsatsouline (z-lib.org).pdf
    5.7 MB · Views: 1

User1234

Reaction score
Thanks for them that should keep me entertained for a while, your old home gym would be have been a gold mine if you had kept it! What kind of maces do you use?

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for them that should keep me entertained for a while, your old home gym would be have been a gold mine if you had kept it! What kind of maces do you use?
Oh mate you have no idea... I spent around 3-4k on it sold it for much less... I could have make so much money from it... it is what it is. On the plus side I made money on buying around 40 pull up bars from Aldi for £10 and sold them for £30-35 on eBay during the first lockdown.

I have a 5kg and a 2.5kg mace. Mostly use the 2.5kg for single hand movements and generally most of the time. I bought the 5kg one first and if I knew better I would have got the 2.5kg first!

I had heavy steel clubs first (4, 6, 8kg) but they were horrible due to how they were manufactured. Very slippery coating, no knurling on them... disaster waiting to happen. The R-Max ones are super nice but crazy expensive. I like the complexity that the maces provide, for anything else there are the kettlebells, barbells, BW... maybe one day I will pick up a heavy steel club again.

On a lighter level I use Pahlavandle’s to act as a great shoulder mobility warm up tool. Highly, highly recommend them!
Clubs have a great history in physical training it is a same they are not widely used anymore.
Having said that there is a reason they are featured in the RN PTI’s badge. I really wonder if they use it for training apart from having to learn it for a demonstration.

User1234

Reaction score
Just finished a clean and press ladder with some light snatches and tgu’s, decided to snatch the 24 and got five good reps each side was amazing how fast they begin to get difficult