Kiddeh's PRMC Diary 02-08-2011

Kiddeh

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Right just before I start this bad boy, realise that this diary is being done from memory and the event itself was nearly 8 months ago so it will be to the point... my next diary will be much more comprehensive but I want to do this one aswell as i had said i would last year but because of things outside my control i was unable to do it... right so...

Backdrop:
I arrived in England on the 20th of March and got my app started almost straight away, exact dates of when things happened are in my signature but needless to say I flew through the process (like a boss) after alot of phys training in gyms and runs around the wild streets of Portsmouth I felt fitter than ever and was ready for my PRMC (or so i thought)

02-08-2011 Day 1 PRMC:
I woke up at around 0800 wished myself a happy birthday and made my way to my train which my AFCO had booked seats for me on and it was scheduled to have me in Lympstone for apporx 13:40... it was a long broing journey but i kept myself entertained with my iPod when I arrived in Exeter St.Davids there were a few lads looking as lost as I and as "smart looking" as i with massive bags so I headed over... score more PRMCers happy days we got chatting sort of... a few of the lads new each other already as they had been on trains together on the way down from far off places like Geordie Shore and the home of Battered Mars Bar and the mythical Jock... when the Lympstone train popped along we all crammed in and headed off... we arrived on the platform and had just about got off when a Cpl lined us all up and asked a very simple question "Are you all here for the PRMC" and some said yes with confidence others were more "hmm" anyway he was happy enough and he tore off up the steps toward the accomadation and when we started sauntering behind he instantly shouted "hurry up you ?%#!'s" and so we sprinted like no tomorrow up those steps people dragging bags whatever way they could... when we got to the top i was shattered... proper blowing but to my relief so was everyone else so we headed to the accomadation, got a brief of what we were to do i.e sign a form and indicate past military experience + whether you're under 18 or not, find your room, grab a bed, get bedding, make your bed, get a pair of boots, get 2 pairs of combats, a rugby shirt, a water bottle and a plastic cup... after running around like headless chickens for about 30 minutes everyone was sorted and was polishing there boots out in the quadrangle, though I was sorted with a set of boots which were 11 Large I later found out... THEY ARE NOT MY SIZE but alas there were no more 11 Medium around... meanwhile a few more arrived and I got chatting to the lads in my room who were all sound as a pound... There was me, a Geordie, 2 scousers, 2 lads from Pompey, a Kiwi, and I've no idea where the rest of them were from but it also doesn't matter...

After a while we got scran (food for those out of the loop) at which time i absolutley horsed everything down... we got back to the accomadation had a final role call and I think there was 48 people in all then we had a lecture with the Colour Seargent on what we had got ourselves into and also a banking brief and medical brief where we were asked to indicate any injury's or ailments... Not much else happened that night other than more chats, a bit of personal admin, 9 o'clockers, some stick about being Irish, a quick happy birthday from all the lads in my room and sleeps... a few were dissapointed we hadn't ran around the world on Day 1 but I was grand as I knew we had a busy few days ahead...

03-08-2011 Day 2 PRMC:
We were detailed to be up at 0545 but we set our alarms for 0530 and our room got into the showers and squared away before the other rooms did... shaved, showered, smart dress, down to scran, back for 0620, into PT rig, clean the accomadation and heads (toilets), back into smart rig and fell into the corridor for 0645 that morning we were given our coloured bibs which had our number on them and were told to wait in the rooms after getting changed into combat rig. At 0715 we were fell in in the hall and marched over to the square for some basic drill with a South African Cpl who was an altogether nice bloke provided you weren't being a gobby eejit and were trying your best. We learned the basics i.e marching in step, turning at the halt, wheeling, about turn, open/close ranks and dressing off. We had been told before starting not to talk and not fidgit when we were at the position of attention (which was fair enough as he gave us plenty of time to stand at ease and reajust ourselves and wipe sweat off our face which we had to do quite frequently given that the tempreture was somewhere around 18-19 degrees and there wasn't a lick of wind!) and of course when people did fidgit or talk they were given 20 tuck jumps, one small ginger lad in particular got a fair few tuckers to do and after him screwing up so many times the Cpl decided he didn't have to do them anymore and the whole course did it instead...

3 Miler:
By about 0800 we were back in the accomadation and had 5 minutes to get changed into PT Rig but wearing combat trousers instead of shorts (a few lads were shocked when they learned they had to run the 3 miler in trousers instead of shorts). we made our way to a car park where we had a warm up consisting of jogging while balistic stretching and sprints to and from a certain bastad pole! ha then we were told what we had to do after completing the run which was to stay in single file after passing the Colours (Colour Seargent) and then collect a tally from a Cpl which had a number on it corresponding to the order in which you cross the finish line so we were warned not to wander off and to get them in order otherwise our time wouldn't be correct.... then we lined up and off we went it was a 0.75 mile run which we did out and back as a squad and a word from the wise get to the front so you aren't stopping and starting due to some other lad being out of step as the ranks need to stay closed... The run was a faster pace than i thought and i was still a little tired from the warm up but we had about 30 seconds to have a waz and then be lined up to go again... 5,4,3,2,1 and we were off, the sun beating down and people scrambling to get to the front... I was around middle of the pack and just before the half way point i passed most of the lads who had tried to sprint at the beginning including a Canadian fella but i slowly started to run out of puff aswell... when i crossed the finish line i got may tally and saw i was 33rd and then in a daze did exactly what i was told not to before we had begun i.e put my hands on my head and stopped moving... i was quickly pushed into the circle which had formed in the car park and we watched the last few cross the finish line and join the cirlce after collecting their tallys 3 of them however weren't given a tally and had failed the run... one of which was the bloke who'd travelled from Canada... as they got talking to about what they were to do now and why they'd failed we were told to line up in one long line, colour and number order, to give our tally numbers and unbeknownst to a Cpl had just said "No spitting and stay of the cars" when i passed straight infront of him and spit on the ground before taking my place in the queue as he ran up behind me and screamed "Are you having a ?@#$ing laugh!", i said "No Corpral" he said "Did i or did i not just say don't ?@#$ing spit and don't lean on the ?@#$ing cars!" and i said "i didn't hear you Corpral" to which he responded "well i better make sure you here me next time... Get over to the curb and give me 100 press ups" i was hanging out already and now i had 100 press ups to do in the baking sun... i went over.. stuck my feet on the curb and slogged throught about 50 press ups when another Cpl came over and asked i wasn't fell in with the rest of them... i told him because i had spit when the other Cpl said not to and almost as a little tease to me the Cpl spit on the ground about a foot or 2 infront of me and said i didn't say stop... so i squeezed out about 12 - 13 more and then a Cpl asked my name, told me to get up, asked my tally number and told me to fall in... i was shattered and my arms were hanging off... we got hydrated and then headed tto the accomadation..

Gym Test:
When we got back we jumped into our smart rig and had a lecture about what we could potentially end up doing after passing out of training and there was a general bit about life in the Marines... then more scran at 1200 and back to the accomadation for 1230 where we were to get into our second set of PT rig and fall in for 1245... some lads at scran hadn't eaten alot as they didn't know when we'd be doing our gym test... i was one of those lads but in hindsight i should have eaten lots which is another top tip... EAT EVERYTHING! ha anyway we arrived at the gym and we were weighed and warned about not going upstairs in the gym as it was a Physical Training Instructors only area, we were also told not to move from outside the gym unless a member of the training team we recognised told us to as seemingly in the past people send off small details to do pointless tasks just to mess with the PRMC training team and waste time... all in all the weighing etc took about 15 minutes and then we were directed into the gym and lined up in 3 ranks... we got the skinny of what we could and couldn't do... the could column had only one entry though "Do what the PTI's say"... and yes they never said we could breathe!! shocking i know... but seriously we were shown the how to stand correctly in the gym, also how to do a correct tuck jump and squat jump which we got very familiar with, we were told to do everything at 100 miles an hour, told not to move at all unless told to and the Cpl said if you didn't know what to do the best thing to do was nothing... and then it begun
We lined up for the VO2 Max Test (Bleep test) not much to tell... boring as hell and no one left before level 10.8 bar one who bailed on level 8 apparently due to a back issue... this lad had a serving marine for a father and we all realised there wasn't a thing wrong with him but he knew he had done terribly in the run so it seemed obvious he was jumping out on medical grounds... anyway at about 10.8 1 more lad dropped and then over the next level or 3 about 1 to 15 lads dropped... then up to level 13 a steady flow of fellas dropped off... i made it to level 11.9 before being told i had missed the line.... when level 13 finished everyone got into 3 ranks all the while people where being told to do tuck jumps and squat jumps for talking and wiping sweat from there face... when we were in 3 ranks the Cpl came around and verifyed our scores and then one PTI made us all do 20 tuck jumps, then hold the squat position then do 20 more as clearly he felt he hadn't made it clear that we weren't to do anything unles told to...
Moments later the red bunch and grey bunch were told to get mats and line them out down the hall while the green and blue bunches lined up along the mats and awaited the reds and greys to dress off infront of them... we got a demo of a correct press up and both positions then we took our tops off and set to work *NOTE* you should definitly have a sneaky rub to take the sweat off your face while your taking you top off... do it as awkwardly as possible so as to not get caught but honestly it's the cheeky little victorys that keep ya smiling... During the press ups i could hear in the back round Cpl's telling counters to deduct 5 as people were dropping their hips and not extending arms fully or not keeping their elbows tucked in... i don't know how many i did but my counter counted 46 which i of course wasn't happy with but well... i was 70+ press ups in already that day so what could i really complain about? Then it was onto situps. Another demo on correct form and off we went during the sit ups the lad to my immediate right had a Cpl standing over him deducting 5 sit ups every few seconds and telling him that none of his sit ups were right for a multitude of reasons such as he hadn't got his fingers on his temples or was spreading his knees or didn't touch his head and elbows off the mat or wasn't bringing his elbows up to his knees... by the end i think the Corpral had worked out he'd done 25 correct sit ups I mean while had only done 48... another bad score...
Pull ups were next, twas over to the pull up beams according to colour but not before putting away the mats and getting a few more tuck jumps for not doing things quick enough.... at the pull up beams stood 2 PTI's 1 to watch form and 1 to take scores the beam was wiped with a towel and the next 3 people were given the oppurtunity to wipe their hands then it was on and doing pull ups to the beep... when it was my turn i jumped up and did 1 correctly, 1 before the beep, 1 after the beep and then i didn't get up in time for the next beep so i was told to hop off at which point i swear i almost crapped myself... everyone else finished bar 2 other lads and we were all braught over to a beam on our own for a retake we again had a chance to wipe our hands and the Cpl made it quite clear if we didn't do 3 correctly we'd be off the course... i hopped up... got to 3 and was told to hop down as the most points you can get on a retake is 1 i.e 3 pulls ups so don't screw it up! One of the lads failed to get 3 on his retake and was sent home...

The rest of the day not much else happened as we didn't have the swim test to do because the pool was closed for some reason or another... So we had Dinner, 9 o'clockers, more admin and a chance to play around with and hold some weapons that we'd taken out of the stores while we asked a Marine questions about his time in... at this point i got to show off a bit as i had nearly 4 years in the Irish Reserve Defence Forces and i took the liberty to ask questions relating to tactics until he asked was i ex military ha... we also had a 1 to 1 meeting with our section Cpl's and they asked us a few questions... why we want to join, how we think we're getting on and the like... i was straight up and told the Cpl i though i was failing... he asked did i want to pull off the course and i said no as i didn't want a 12 month return so he said "well you never know, if you crack on tomorrow you might do well" and that was that.... we did a little maths and English test aswell in the Library but it was easy enough and nothing anyone should worry about.... anyway before bed me and the lads in my room talked about the 6 lads who had already left the course and more so about the 2 lads who were gone from our room... also we talked about girlfriends and how psyched up we were for the next day....

continue to Post #2 for Day 3 and Day 4

Kiddeh

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
04-08-2011 Day 3 PRMC:
Twas the dreaded morning and everyone knew what lay ahead... i was slightly apprehensive as i had a fairly good idea i had failed due to my bad scores and i thought about packing it in until one fo the lads told me its a 12 month return if i do opt out...

Same routine this morning... Shave, Shower, Scran etc... we had been told to hydrate and have plenty of salt on our breakfast as apparently it keeps the cramp at bay... we fell in back at the accomadation with our combat rig on and went pretty much straight to the bottom field which was pure torture... we got there and got told we could scrath and fidgit as much as we wanted but we had to keep moving i.e jogging on the spot if we didn't we'd be out there longer than we needed to be.... we started off with balistic stretching some sit ups/press ups/squat jumps then ran up hills and around certain features crawled for what seemed like forever, duck walked, moved from one point to another with our hand and feet on the ground but while keeping our knees off the ground which is a killer on the shoulders, did carry's and drags to and from places, played a lovely game called Pays to be a winner in which 2 people sprint against each other and people who lose have to go again... but the winner had to do situps whilst and hold the press up position while waiting so was it a win?? you decide.... this all in all lasted 40 minutes and we lost 5 people on the bottom field 1 who left just before we finished up... i found the whole thing extremely difficult and was at the back of the bunch for everything furthermore i could feel blisters in my boots which were giving me a bit of hassle and got an urge to wrap more than once but knowing it had to end eventually kept me going... before i knew it, we were over by the Low/High Obs getting demonstrations of how to go across them properly then it was our turn and onto the assault course.... They demo'd 3 obstacles while we marked time and then we ran the 3 then we moved onto the next 3 and repeated the sequence once we'd done all of them we ran to the beginning and lined up according to number and colour then we were set off... it was only about 4 minutes of running but i was wrecked by the end of it and felt every step on my left foot in particular thanks to my blister... when we finished we went to the accomadation, got ourselves cleaned up and went for food... but not before i showed everyone my knarley looking blister which was bigger than a 2 pound coin and was right on the back of my heel torn open and oozing god knows what... after i limped back to the billets we got changed again and went to the endurance course..

We got there and i was in a daze... i was in pain and knew i had a filthily long physical day ahead of me... we did a warm up which included sprints and balistic stretching and then we took off down the hill toward the first obstacle which is the tunnels... when we got there we again had to mark time as people went in 1 after the other... next thing i know a Cpl came over to me and asked me was i alright... i said yes i'm fine Cpl... he then stopped me marking time and took me to the side and said "what happened" and me not having a clue what he was talking about said nothing Cpl i'm just tired "Did someone hit you" he asked and i said no why to which he gestured for me to rub my face... I had a nose bleed... couldn't believe it... he asked again did i feel ok and i was like seriously i'm grand and he again asked did i want to continue which i did... after the tunnel we had a short run to Peters Pool which we was a welcome cool down as the sun was boiling us in our gear... at the pool we need to go underwater for 5 seconds to ensure we could hold our breath in the cold... we needed to do it about 5 times as apparently some eejit kept coming up early... we set off again up to the end of a hill in 2 files and played it pays to be a winner again up an 80 or so metre hill... i got to the front and the Cpl there asked me what happened i just told him i have a nose bleed and he said crack on... thank fully i won my sprint and got to mark time on the top of the hill which was a relief as i was hanging out already and i could feel every move my boot made thanks to my blister even though i had moleskin which is sort of like compeed on it.... 2 miles of more running including marking time with squats, press ups on your knuckles, sit ups up hill, duck walks, carrys, and a honking crawl down a river and into a clay pit... the obstacles included the sheep dip, smarties tubes, 2 more tunnels, a horrible gravelly hill which we had to do carrys up and lucky me got stuck with a lad who weighed 92 kilos and at the time i was only 75 kgs so that was a pain.... and to make it worse the sun was still beating down and I had felt my moleskin come off my blister to tortue me slightly more and while i ran down a hill i tryed to slow myself down to quickly which resulted in my big toe nail being pushed out of place and into my toe itself which was altogheter lovely :-p agh the memory is giving me the willys anyway I never thought of opting out as i knew it was the last thing to do and i was a bit out of my head with fatigue but we did however lose 6 more lads on the endurance course... when we got back to where we'd left our water bottles we were told to have a drink and that we'd be running back to camp after we put our water bottles away... they asked who wanted to get in the wagon... no one did and we cracked on... we ran approximatly a kilometre and then out of no where the pace went through the roof. At the back, which is where i was hanging out for the whole course (3 ahead of the last lad) there were 3 PTI's, one who was telling me to catch up while the blood was still pouring from my nose as we bolted up a hill... i could see a massive long snake of PRMCers up the track and the PTI had already gone over the top... i don't know how but i opened out my reserve and passed out 2 fellas and as i came over the crest of the hill i saw the transport and absolutley hammered myself down the track toward it... when we got there i was handed some tissue and asked if i wanted to get in the wagon to sort my nose... i said no and jumped in the transport with the boys.... 2 more fellas opted out on the run from the end of the endurance course to the transport...

When we got back we all got squared away and went for food... i rebandaged my heel and i don't really remember what we did for the night besides be happy we had all finished the course and clean the accomadation top to bottom....

05-08-2011 Day 4 PRMC:
The Results day.... we woke up and did the usual... then we turned back in all our issued gear and fell in in the hall in our smart civvies... 6 names were called out to go to the rooms and the rest went with the Cpl.... i was one of the 6...

We all bailed into one room and it was fairly apparent we had failed... i didn't mind to much as i knew from Day 2 i probably had done but 1 or 2 of the lads took it a bit hard... we went over what scores we thought we got and waited for the Colours... about 20 minutes later all of the lads who'd gone off came back in with boots... stuck them on their beds and ran outside again... they said they'd passed which we knew already and the gave us condolences.... when the 6 of us went in to meet with the colours he congratulated us on finishing the course and gave us our scores.... i got 17 and the requirement at the time was 21 to pass... one lad got 20 and he was gutted but we all got 3 month returns bar one who got a 6 month as he had done particularly bad on the course... a fella who had failed got 25 points but because he was passed out on the Hare and Hounds at the end of the endurance course they gave him a fail for lack of effort or something... i felt kind of bad as i was the person who passed him...

To finish up we got a pep talk and were told not to give up... we were given bag rats (a little lunch) and sent to the train station... we all went to Exeter St.Davids and then went our seperate ways... i went to get changed into civvies in the toilets and then went to my platform only to find i had lost my ticket to Portsmouth... i was in a dire state.... tired, no money, run down and now ticketless but thankfully i had my receipt for the seats i was to it in on the trains and thus after a bit of pleading the guys on the train let me hop on (fair play to those lads) i went off home and had a quiet one to drown my sorrows...

I do now have to apologise as this was a fair bit longer than i thought it would be but heck i just couldn't stop typing... if you've any questions ask away but remember the itinerary for the PRMC has changed since last August but i am going to now write up another PRMC diary for the course which i passed last week which will be about 20 billion trillion times better than this one!

Hope you enjoyed the read and hope you're looking forward to my next diary

Kiddeh

Grimmey

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Nice diary unlucky about the scores but im sure it must of looked like you were determined with blood pouring down your face.

Look forward to reading your other one.

Luke2504

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Congratz on going 'till the end, and even more on completing it recently. Looking forward to reading your next diary. :applaus: