Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Kit List for joining recruit training

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by maz867, Apr 24, 2019.

1. maz867

maz867 Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Hi, my son is due to join recruit training in the next few weeks. Can anyone advise me on the additional kit required, not the essential kit, the kit they are required to purchase when they first get to lympstone. I have been told they need £200 but some forums are saying a lot more money?

2. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Your son should have been given a list of items to take to CTC. Ideally he should not take extra, as anything extra is at the discretion of his training team. When he arrives at CTC he will be advised of what to buy and on his first weekend he will be allowed into Exeter, where he will be able to buy from the Kit Shop, or other outlets.

Unfortunately, despite efforts from all, there is no uniformity to the extras they are allowed and, as I have previously mentioned, it is at the discretion of his TT.

£200 will be sufficient to start with, but as he will not be paid until the end of May, so be prepared for requests for top ups.

Good luck to him and you!

Alan

3. The guide

The guide Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure

@maz867 There is no kit that is actually "required" to be bought , and when you are allowed to buy and more i,portant use kit it varies from training team to training team !

£200 is more than sufficient , and i would not advise taking that much money either (30 to 40 quid max.!!..There are cash points at CTC & the shop does cashback , also if they are out getting kit they are in town , so loads of cash points.!! .

Things he will likely buy are items such as Bivi poles & good tent pegs , zip lock bags , or even small canoe bags later in training , Jetboils may be permitted by some teams but not until at least week 15 , foot care items such as compeed is another item. A cheap casio type digital watch may also also advised, better than trashing a good watch in the field ,

They are just a few of the items that may be advised and i,m sure others will come up with other small items like a waterproof notepad and so on.

But suffice to say £200 is plenty unless he wants to buy "all Gucci" kit when he is allowed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

In my experience, guaranteed your average nod will want the gold-plated carbon fibre bivi poles, hand-crafted by blind, toothless monks living in a remote mountain commune.

They won't want a ten quid Casio F91W, like most people use, oh no, it'll be much bigger, chunky, manly, more expensive and break your toes if dropped from waist height.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  5. Omega

Omega Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Casio F91. Foolish not to.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. westy

westy Well-Known Member

Will I get away with wearing my Garmin at HMS Raleigh? Or will I be better off getting the battery changed in my G Shock (it’s a cheap one)

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

As long as it's wrist-watch sized, no problem day to day but they get twitched if you use them on field exercises instead of map & compass or when on parade.

8. westy

westy Well-Known Member

I only want it for the step counter!! And obviously it’ll disappear for PT training

9. Firedrake

Firedrake Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Main issue I had with the Garmin was getting my bergan on without the straps catching on the watch. Sure it was interesting seeing how my heart rate changed when in Peters Pool at 2200, however I have now switched over to the casio.
    As for other kit it's true that you are not required to buy it however the stuff recommended does help. A head torch is recommended and a good one is less likely to fail you. Cleaning your rifle with an issue torch in your mouth is a bit of a pain and makes the activity inefficient and efficiency and well organised activity will keep you off the flank if your attention to detail is there as well.
    I have brought loads of resealable bags from the kit shop, mainly so I can pack my kit and suck all the air out. This allows much more space in the Bergan. Trouble is as soon as you get the smallest nick in one of the bags this ability dissappears, as such I have bought about 9 dry bags. You definatly don't need to do this but I was fed up of constantly buying resealable bags and thought at some point I would have spent more on bags from the kit store than dry/canoe bags from amazon.
    Most people buy the bivvy poles on the first weekend it seems as the issue ones are a pain and a bit tall.
    Secetures are also a good buy unless you want to be pulling gauss out with your hands.
    All in all I have definatly spent more than the £300. Whether that is though over investment, poor investment or unnecessary naffi runs depends on how you view it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Firedrake

Firedrake Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    That's £300 in Phase One. First few weeks I spent £150 on the headtorch, bivvy poles, drybags and sundry items for cleaning and such.

11. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Casio F-91W.
    When most life is dead on this planet, somewhere these watches will still be functioning; a bit like cockroaches really.
    A legacy design from the early 1990s, this Casio is arguably one of the best ‘tool watches’ out there. No fuss or nonsense and costing only £8-00 they have a certain utilitarian charm. Stick it on a NATO strap for added durability.

F91W.jpg

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Sly3

Sly3 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    That watch ends up a pocket watch if one is not to careful, I felt like Jeeves on Dartmoor when heading to stag.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  14. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

The Casio strap will definitely fail long before the watch does. Wore them for years until I had more money than sense and started buying Apple.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  15. Sly3

Sly3 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    I can see your arm now.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  16. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

The F91W itself is quite low profile but as stated by @Caversham the plastic strap will fail first.
    Fitting a 18 mm nylon NATO strap is a big improvement. Plenty available on eBay.

Fitting a new strap usually requires the removal of the two strap pins. These are tapered and a friction fit so will only come out one way and should be refitted the same. A few people have actually gone to the trouble of filming a guide. The clip below is okay. Apart from the bloke's droning voice.

• Like Like x 1
  17. JWJ

JWJ Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Never put your F91W in the key bucket.

Don’t spend money on things like Dry bags, gloves, that kind of thing. You won’t be able to use them until phase 2. It’s better to wait to see if you’ll get to phase 2 first.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  18. maz867

maz867 Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Sorry but what is an F91W?

19. maz867

maz867 Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    It’s okay just read previous comment!

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  20. Banshee

Banshee Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    I’m at week 8 of Raleigh and a cheap Casio is fine gen some people have expensive watches and I just think *text deleted* haha

• Seen Seen x 1