Kit List for joining recruit training

Chelonian

Reaction score
...he has a ton of ironing to do tonight with no cover...
Back in the 1970s I completed my RT without using an ironing board. We simply placed a blanket on a table top.

Also, while an ironing board is easy to throw out of a window or down a stair well our TT was reluctant to do the same with a MoD table. :)

Last edited:

ex killick

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
No laundryman anymore?? Choi was great, especially putting creases in your ‘run ashore’ jeans.

Mumma23

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
No laundryman anymore?? Choi was great, especially putting creases in your ‘run ashore’ jeans.
In my son's case - no laundry-mum anymore! The "magic basket" which turns dirty clothes into clean will be a distant memory for him soon:D

Elljac

Reaction score
My nod is week 5, he’s on his 3rd ironing board bought from the naffi. LWEL this weekend first stop Argos to buy one. Time is very limited in the first couple of weeks and the naffi ones aren’t great. If he can borrow someone’s in his troop and gets time in Exeter this weekend he’d be better getting one there. I know my nod did a bit of ironing on a towel on the floor for a bit x

Mumma23

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, my son is due to join recruit training in the next few weeks. Can anyone advise me on the additional kit required, not the essential kit, the kit they are required to purchase when they first get to lympstone. I have been told they need £200 but some forums are saying a lot more money?
Hi, did your Nod have to take the £200 as cash or can they use cards on site?

JTech

Reaction score
Hi, did your Nod have to take the £200 as cash or can they use cards on site?
They’ll be buying the extra kit in town so there’ll be a bank. The machine at the camp shop works most of the time too

BLM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Trouser twists, hard ground tent pegs, waterproof paper (lots, they aren't cheap), waterproof see through map holders, dry bags, vaseline (for body and for fires), water sandals (the really thin rubbery material ones you can wear for swimming)-they use for wet/dry. 2xpairs swim shorts... 1 for swimming the other to wear in daytime to avoid chaffing.
Ironing board and iron is a definite must. He even has both still now. Saves a lot of time. Paper pads for lectures, they go through a fair chunk.
Mine didn't buy a jet boil in the end (but many recommend it for last phase).
Anything else I can remember will jot

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
Pack a strong nylon brush for cleaning the training area off your boots... (before using your nice "polish" brushes on them).