Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

knee cap pain

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by Joshusky, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Joshusky

Joshusky New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Hi ya'll

Recently I've been getting a bit worried. Due to university I had decided to apply for the reserves until I finished. All seemed fine but about 2 days after I put my application in for the reserves I was walking normally and felt a really really really REAAALLY sharp pain in my knee cap but it only hurt for about 6 seconds and then subsided. After that day, underneath my knee cap has been hurting quite a bit, but only when my leg is bent e.g when I'm sat down and I place my legs a little bit under my chair or when I go to kneel down. It is only in my left knee cap. I have got myself fit enough to pass the pjft easily but this sudden problem is scaring me from carrying on my running even though it doesn't hurt at all when I run just in case I am damaging myself even more on a minor level. When the pain starts when I have had my legs bent the pain starts getting more and more severe and I can feel the pain getting worse when I press around my knee cap, but when my leg is extended and the pain is dispersed I can not longer feel the pain when I feel around my knee cap with my hands.

This has been ongoing for around a week and a half. I am worried to go to the doctor unless it is a ligament or tendon issue as I know any problems concerning them is a potential bar to entry and that would mean my whole future prospects are ruined. I will eventually go, I just want to hear if anyone has dealt with something similar and if they went to the doctor or just rested it?

Also, my knee cap also clicks when I straighten out my leg even though the other one doesn't.

2. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    I'm no doctor but have significant experience of assorted knee issues. 1st bit of advice is do not ignore this...it is probably a minor mechanical issue, but you never know. If you don't want to go to a doctor due to having the issue on your docs suggest you go to a private sports physio for advice. This will be cheaper than you think and they can advise on treatment and whether or not you really need to see a doctor for further investigation.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  3. Boggy

Boggy Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Knees are notoriously tricky customers, very difficult to rest properly, even if that is the only prescribed treatment. If you can go 'under the radar' by consulting a private physio you will know exactly where you stand, no pun intended.

4. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Firstly you need to ice the knee for up to 20 minutes every 2 to 3 hours and don’t be shy with paracetamol. The first drill should always be to lower any potential inflammation.
    Obviously it is incredibly difficult to assess based on words alone but the sharp pain certainly would be consistent with a meniscus tear/ACL rupture.
    Minor cartilage injuries may get better on their own within a few weeks, but more severe cartilage or ligament damage may eventually require surgery. If you are having issues weight baring or experiencing any locking out or giving way sensations then visit your GP. You will require an MRI for definitive diagnosis.

5. physiomum

physiomum Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Sounds like a patellofemoral dysfunction which could easily be resolved with physio. I fully concur with the above advice about a private musculoskeletal/sports physio just go to one recommended to you.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Kermenzie

Kermenzie New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I have a similar problem to you, the only difference is that my pain, it feels like its slap bang in the centre of my knee. Now for me this is very worrying because i have an entry date for the 21st October, the pain is only present when i try to run or anything that requires the knee to move in a fast motion, due to this I’m very worried because i am a rejoin also which adds to the stress. Any ideas?

Cheers

7. physiomum

physiomum Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    It sounds like patellofemoral dysfunction again which can be easily resolved with taping and exercises. However, I can't make the diagnosis on this forum so get yourself to a good sports physio soon and it could settle down really quickly saving you unnecessary stress.
    Good luck