knee injury....back.....again

Brucey1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
this is starting to worry me now. about 7 weeks ago i first injured my knee...rested...cracked on...injured. rested for longer...cracked on... injured. everything seemed fine until last night. about four hundred metres into my run i felt my right knee starting to lock up again. it becomes really tight across the back of my knee and the outside of and just below my knee cap. i also started to feel it pulling from my thigh too. it hurts but isnt agony. you can easily carry on running with it, although im constantly thinking if i start to sprint, it could twang again. normally i would have stopped, but yesterday carried on (dick head).

ive seen specialsts, physios, had an mri scan(years ago) and not one person can say what it is. is there anybody here who knows about knees please :*text deleted*:

*text deleted* go doctors monday (he's seen my family for years so he may be able to get us pushed forward for another scan). just so worried now that ive worked so hard these last few months, changed the whole structure of my life etc etc, and this could ruin it completely.

any ideas, steve, ninja.....anybody

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Brucey,

sorry to here that mate, thougt you might have got past that this time round! Hope all goes well with the doctors bud!!

paddlequack

Reaction score
My best guess would be to have a good half an hour and i mean 30 minutes stretching mixed in with some sprints, so you have oxygen moving through your body and your muscles are ready and oxygenated for exercise.
Start your run and if you feel it getting tight etc then stop and stretch again and have a good stretch and once you feel the tightness in your thigh go start your run again and if the stretching doesn't prevent it then it might lead to a conclusion that it's a medical problem :S.

hazholmes

Reaction score
Outside of your knee cap and up towards your thigh as well? Might be ITB. Have a look on wikipedia about it. illotobial band strain. Hope it isn't mate it's not very nice or a very quick healer.

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Brucey1 said:
this is starting to worry me now. about 7 weeks ago i first injured my knee...rested...cracked on...injured. rested for longer...cracked on... injured. everything seemed fine until last night. about four hundred metres into my run i felt my right knee starting to lock up again. it becomes really tight across the back of my knee and the outside of and just below my knee cap. i also started to feel it pulling from my thigh too. it hurts but isnt agony. you can easily carry on running with it, although im constantly thinking if i start to sprint, it could twang again. normally i would have stopped, but yesterday carried on (dick head).

ive seen specialsts, physios, had an mri scan(years ago) and not one person can say what it is. is there anybody here who knows about knees please :*text deleted*:

*text deleted* go doctors monday (he's seen my family for years so he may be able to get us pushed forward for another scan). just so worried now that ive worked so hard these last few months, changed the whole structure of my life etc etc, and this could ruin it completely.

any ideas, steve, ninja.....anybody
Brucey, itspossible that you have a muscle imbalance. It would be best to get some sort of muscle tests done by a physio so that you can find out which muscle is pulling the knee cap off its tracking line. Its a common problem. That can be remedied with guidance.

http://www.runnersrescue.com/Running_Knee Pain_Strain_Injury.htm

Cheers

Steve