Knee injury

Ludger

Reaction score
Anyone experienced bad knee pain inside the knee and got any advice to sort it?

I’m just presuming the injury is due to overtraining and hoping it will just heal up after time and icing it.

It’s not painful at all times, only painful when bending my leg, maybe a but swelling inside the knee

If anyone has had anything similar because of overtraining and would like to shed some light on it would be appreciated

Thanks!

physiomum

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @Ludger
It's very difficult to make a diagnosis on this forum.
How long have you had the pain? What positions or movements hurt? What were you doing when it started hurting or did it come on insidiously? How swollen is it? Does it ever lock or feel like it's giving way?

Ludger

Reaction score
Hi @Ludger
It's very difficult to make a diagnosis on this forum.
How long have you had the pain? What positions or movements hurt? What were you doing when it started hurting or did it come on insidiously? How swollen is it? Does it ever lock or feel like it's giving way?
Sorry, should’ve been more clear.

had the pain for about 36 hours now.

bending my leg behind my body (if that makes sense) hurts.

bit of a nightmare but it came on after I first sat down on the sofa after being out running. Didn’t happen during running or immediately after about 10 minutes after.

it is a bit swollen, nothing massive like but slightly bigger than my other knee (not sure if it was like that before or not)

doesn’t feel like it locks out or gives way either. So hoping it’s nothing too serious from that and just came from overtraining.

for the past three months I’ve been running 5 times a week and then playing football most weekends since the start of March.

Thanks for the reply!

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, should’ve been more clear.

had the pain for about 36 hours now.

bending my leg behind my body (if that makes sense) hurts.

bit of a nightmare but it came on after I first sat down on the sofa after being out running. Didn’t happen during running or immediately after about 10 minutes after.

it is a bit swollen, nothing massive like but slightly bigger than my other knee (not sure if it was like that before or not)

doesn’t feel like it locks out or gives way either. So hoping it’s nothing too serious from that and just came from overtraining.

for the past three months I’ve been running 5 times a week and then playing football most weekends since the start of March.

Thanks for the reply!

Give up football as a sore knee could be the least of your worries!

Ludger

Reaction score
Give up football as a sore knee could be the least of your worries!
Officially hung up my boots on Saturday mate, had been thinking all this training and exercise was just a tad overkill!

AsdaOwn

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like patellar tendinitis
I don’t think so mate. I’ve been diagnosed with that and the pain isn’t inside the knee like this guy is reporting and it didn’t swell. It’s more between your knee cap and shin bone and hurts on squatting and bending. This sounds like something inside in his knee maybe cartledge or a tendon?

Ludger

Reaction score
Sounds like patellar tendinitis
I don’t think so mate. I’ve been diagnosed with that and the pain isn’t inside the knee like this guy is reporting and it didn’t swell. It’s more between your knee cap and shin bone and hurts on squatting and bending. This sounds like something inside in his knee maybe cartledge or a tendon?
Sound for the replies lads, think the obvious thing to do for either is just rest and hope it goes away!

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Officially hung up my boots on Saturday mate, had been thinking all this training and exercise was just a tad overkill!

Good stuff!

Do you do anything like cycling or things that involve a lot of stress on the knees like running up/down steps , hopping , squats , sharp sprints so a sprint to a cone and quick turn , heavy weights. ?

physiomum

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Can you duck walk? Can you fully lock the knee into extension? Have you taken any ibuprofen?

Ludger

Reaction score
Can you duck walk? Can you fully lock the knee into extension? Have you taken any ibuprofen?
I can't duck walk, i can fully lock the knee in to extension and i haven't taken any ibuprofen.

Thanks for the help!

Ludger

Reaction score
Good stuff!

Do you do anything like cycling or things that involve a lot of stress on the knees like running up/down steps , hopping , squats , sharp sprints so a sprint to a cone and quick turn , heavy weights. ?
I just do a load of road running in the week and then played football on the weekends. Haven't done anything too strenuous apart from the sprinting involved in football

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I just do a load of road running in the week and then played football on the weekends. Haven't done anything too strenuous apart from the sprinting involved in football

How much mileage on running you doing a week? Seen you said 5 times a week since March.

JWJ

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Not too related to this thread, but what's the outlook like for someone post bilat gastroc release?

physiomum

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Quite a few variables/factors influencing outcome but there is good chance of returning to previous or better function.

Reactions: JWJ

physiomum

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
@Ludger If there are no contraindications, i.e. check the pack instructions or with a pharmacist that you are ok to take ibuprofen I would take the max dose for 2-3 days.
As you’ve suggested, I would also back off the impact, torsion and end of range activities for a week. If the swelling settles down completely and you are able to fully flex your knee pain free then you can gradually resume your activities. If not I think you should see a recommended sports physio to have a full physical assessment. Good luck

Ludger

Reaction score
@Ludger If there are no contraindications, i.e. check the pack instructions or with a pharmacist that you are ok to take ibuprofen I would take the max dose for 2-3 days.
As you’ve suggested, I would also back off the impact, torsion and end of range activities for a week. If the swelling settles down completely and you are able to fully flex your knee pain free then you can gradually resume your activities. If not I think you should see a recommended sports physio to have a full physical assessment. Good luck
Thank you! Very much appreciated!

JoeJitsu94

Reaction score

maybe you’re right but your last sentence made me laugh. You are aware your knee is the patellar and tendinitis affects the tendon right? ;)