Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Knee niggles

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by LilInac, Mar 1, 2020.

1. LilInac

LilInac Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi folks

just wondering have been getting a bitta in my right knee especially when bending down have noticed that during squats it’s not bad at all when running only when I put weight down on it like going up stairs or weights on leg day. Have been running serious over the past three weeks and that’s when the pain has started To tell you I’ve never ran like this ever in my life was an ex fatty but I’m still a heavy oul fella 210lbs ish around 6’5. Have been doing hill sprints/intervals/3milers and to be fair always been able to em fine so it just making me wonder why I’m getting these niggles should I continue on with running also in the past weeks I haven’t be getting rest between runs as the weather here is sh1t one week done them in 3 days in a row, could that be a problem ? Haven’t ran now in 4 days and the knee is back to norm, any help would be appreciated thanks lads.

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

My bold. Your answer is perhaps contained in the quote above. Niggles come and go, particularly when starting a new training regime. Often they simply vanish with rest.

On a general note even minor additions of extra padding to the insoles of running shoes can throw leg mechanics out of whack and cause knee pain. I'm not suggesting that this is your problem but it's worth having an awareness.

Your stated ratio of height to bodyweight indicates a BMI of 24.8 which is healthy. BMI is a blunt instrument but it remains a credible standard:

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/bmi-calculator/

Hopefully others will chip in with their own comments.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Guest

There are some folks on here that are better qualified to comment but from personal experience my advice would be that you need to ensure you are building in sufficient rest. I always did my big leg session the day before my rest day so everything had a chance to calm down. I would also say that if you are doing squats etc, never bend your knee more than 90 degrees and move like you are sitting down on a bench, this will remove some of the pressure from your knee. Otherwise you've just got to manage it I'm afraid. When my knees started to go my physio told me to make the leg muscles around the knee as strong as possible so as to relieve the pressure from the joint, seemed to work for me. @physiomum , any thoughts?

• Like Like x 2
  4. physiomum

physiomum Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    Obviously difficult to tell on this forum but it sounds like it could be your patellofemoral joint. This is the knee cap and quads muscle component of your knee joint. Sometimes due to muscle tightness/weakness and change in alignment it causes pain around the knee cap especially when doing steps, squats and leg extensions. Just make sure you are keeping the knee cap outside of the 2nd toe when ever you’re lunging or squatting. This action encourages the use of your gluts (bum muscles) which helps to keep the knee in a better position and a better load on the patella.
    I think the lack of rest could be a factor too.
    I would start doing some double and single leg squats using theraband, working hard on maintaining good alignment. Ease off on the running and leg weights for a week then see how you are. If no better I’d book into see a good MSK or sports physio for a full assessment.
    Good luck @LilInac

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. LilInac

LilInac Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks a ton @physiomum @dodgyknees @Chelonian !!

I won’t be touching anything leg related now for a few more days till I hit the one week and see will go back and do some sprint training first.
    Never had really a problem with weight lifting in the past and knee problems so it’s quite strange. If it persists I’ll definitely get it checked out. I guess I can’t do much till I go back into running/ the weights ! I’ll also use less weights with the legs I have been doing heavy leg days as of late so I think I’ll go down on the weights and see if that does the trick and concentrate on good form.
    Many thanks for the replies appreciated.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Some absolutely fantastic advice.

Make sure you look after your knees @LilInac , trust me- you’ll need them!

The key to take away is to listen to your body & to accept you’ll have niggles. But strike a balance, many people brush off knee pain when they first start to experience it and believe it will eventually go away. This isn’t always wise.

Early diagnosis is key to preventing more severe and irreversible damage. If you ever experience a sharp, intermittent, localised pain you should get checked out sooner rather than later in order to stop some conditions getting worse.

For the first couple of days of any niggle, follow the classic RICE approach to help bring down swelling and support the injury:

1. Rest – stop any exercise or activities and try not to put any weight on the injury.
    2. Ice – apply an ice pack (or a bag of frozen vegetables wrapped in a tea towel) to the injury for up to 20 minutes every 2 to 3 hours.
    3. Compression – wrap a bandage around the injury to support it.
    4. Elevate – keep it raised on a pillow as much as possible.
    To help prevent swelling, try to avoid heat (such as hot baths and heat packs), alcohol and massages for the first couple of days.

• Like Like x 3
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  7. LilInac

LilInac Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi there

thanks for the reply appreciated ! Just a question when following that routine would you say stop any hard exercise for a certain amount of time or wait till the niggle goes away? Thinking of investing in some knee wraps for the leg days also I’ll get some knee bandages too!
    Thank you

8. physiomum

App Stage:
    Parent
    Difficult to advise on here but I’d just stop the intense running and weights for a week to start with. I’m a great believer in keeping moving though , so controlled squats in good alignment and steady running should be ok. On a treadmill if possible. Not that keen on knee bandages although there can be some benefit in the correct use of tape. Could PM you more specific info and advice if you give me more details.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Hunter71

Hunter71 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    Good advice. Are you MSK. I work MSK in Scotland. X

10. LilInac

LilInac Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I’ll pm you now thank you so much!
    Thanks all

• Like Like x 1
  11. physiomum

App Stage:
    Parent
    Thanks . Yep I am. 30 years now can’t believe it:eek:. Not that the nod offspring is one of my best patients though;). Sounds like you did a good job with your nod’s feetXx

12. Hunter71

Hunter71 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    ;);)
    I’m 30 years next year. You can’t treat family.
    ;) I’m not the most sympathetic towards my nod but he is not the most compliant either.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1