Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Knee pain

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by john smith, Oct 17, 2019.

1. john smith

john smith New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I went on a run yesterday and within 20 minutes I fest a very sharp pain below my left knee it has happened before but I didn't think much of it. Can anyone advise me on stretches or exercises to stop it?

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I'd begin by Googling 'pre-run stretching' as it will deliver a wealth of suggestions with illustrations.
    Also, perhaps try some body weight squats to get your knees 'warmed up' and moving.

If you're not accustomed to running (particularly on hard surfaces) it can take a while for one's body to get into the swing of things. Hopefully others will chip in with their own suggestions and comments.

3. john smith

john smith New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    thanks, is there any way to stop the pain whilst running so that I wouldn't have to stop?

4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Discovering the cause of the pain is perhaps a sensible first step. It might only be a transient niggle. But see how you get on. Perhaps try some swimming as well.

5. john smith

john smith New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    will do thanks

6. Corona

Corona Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    It might be runners knee which is what I got a few years ago. About 2 weeks off and doing this stretch (icing also for up to 20mins a time) helped:

To stretch the area, Andy recommends lying on your side with your bad leg on top.

Bend your top leg so your foot goes back towards your bottom, then hold it there with your hand and keep both knees touching.

Hold the stretch for at least 45 seconds, breathing deeply and feeling the stretch in the thigh. Repeat this around 6 times a day.

If the pain's severe or the knee's swollen, see your GP straight away.

If your knee pain isn't severe, stop running and get it checked by a GP or physiotherapist if the pain doesn't go away after a week.

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/knee-pain-and-other-running-injuries/

7. john smith

john smith New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks I'll give it a try