Knuckle Cracking

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by Lurch, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Lurch

Lurch New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Hey guys,
    Just wanted to see if anyone else has or has had this problem. Since I can remember I've always cracked my knuckles (even though it's earned me a smack or two off my mum who hates it) and I was just wondering if it really is as a bad as everyone says or if it's just an old wives tale. The only reason I do it is because if I don't I feel like my fingers tense up and I struggle to bend them or grip anything, so I have lived by the philosophy that if it was bad for me then I wouldn't be able to do it.
    Would appreciate any insight thanks,
    Lurch
    P.S I also can do it with my toes but I feel the need to do it less often and my knees do it when I stretch after sitting down and having them bent for a while.

2. Gromit

Gromit Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Pretty sure it's just an old wives tale same with many things adults tell you when you're a kid.

"
    Knuckle "cracking" has not been shown to be harmful or beneficial. More specifically, knuckle cracking does not cause arthritis.

Joint "cracking" can result from a negative pressure pulling nitrogen gas temporarily into the joint, such as when knuckles are "cracked." This is not harmful. "Cracking" sounds can also be heard if tendons snap over tissues because of minor adjustments in their gliding paths. This can occur with aging as muscle mass and action change."

http://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/guide/joint-cracking-osteoarthritis

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lurch

Lurch New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Thanks for the reply :) had a feeling it was a load of bull, but better safe than sorry.