Lactic Acid

Taggart91

Reaction score
This has to be one of the worst feelings ever.
I get it everytime i run in my legs.
Does anybody have any tips on how to reduce this problem or is it simply that i need to get fitter?

WrapJuice

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
What feeling do you get exactly? i'm no doctor but i thought it normaly effects you after you stop moving and your muscle starts to feel like it's getting tighter, that's the lactic acid building up. i might be wrong though. i also very much doubt it should be happening to you WHILE you are running?!?

Taggart91

Reaction score
What feeling do you get exactly? i'm no doctor but i thought it normaly effects you after you stop moving and your muscle starts to feel like it's getting tighter, that's the lactic acid building up. i might be wrong though. i also very much doubt it should be happening to you WHILE you are running?!?

well i thought it was lactic acid,
just that feeling when your legs start to burn and then you cant feel them and then your just in major pain while your running.

RC

Reaction score

Lactic acid accumulates during exercise as a by product of anaerobic production of energy.

Rich.

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I get it all the time, its so *text deleted**text deleted** annoyin but just spend more time warmin up. I tried that and it helped but yeah i hate lactic acid

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
How far are you running?

Sounds odd that you would mention it. Maybe you have an extreme case or Compartment Syndrome or something.

Otherwise yeah you just need to get fitter. I personally never really get it anymore or to the extent that it's worth mentioning, ofcourse my legs get tired and stiff but that's normal.

Taggart91

Reaction score
:cheesy:
How far are you running?

Sounds odd that you would mention it. Maybe you have an extreme case or Compartment Syndrome or something.

Otherwise yeah you just need to get fitter. I personally never really get it anymore or to the extent that it's worth mentioning, ofcourse my legs get tired and stiff but that's normal.

No believe me i can run and run its just its annoying as it makes you feel uncomfortable and it puts you off and stuff.
i dont have a massive problem with it i was just lookin for ways to try and reduce it.
Thanks il try warming up for longer as i dont usually warm up.
That might be the problem

billybambino

Reaction score
i find the best way is just to increase your leg muscles, i just use one of them leg push machines at the gym, and i can feel it working

i can now run faster for longer without feeling the burn in my legs

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
:cheesy:

No believe me i can run and run its just its annoying as it makes you feel uncomfortable and it puts you off and stuff.
i dont have a massive problem with it i was just lookin for ways to try and reduce it.
Thanks il try warming up for longer as i dont usually warm up.
That might be the problem

Ok, well yeah, you just need to run.

HIIT would help, only other thing I can think of is supplements like Beta Alanine, which is brilliant. It delays the onset of Lactic Acid production when exercising.

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
I always used to get it bad after I'd done exercise - aching muscles, stiffness...

When I'm at the gym after I've finished it's always straight into the freezing cold plunge pool for as long as I can stand, then straight into the jacuzzi. Seems to work wonders for me. At home, I tend to have a really cold shower followed by a really warm one. It's something to do with driving the lactic acid filled blood away from the surface with the cold water, and then drawing good, 'fresh' blood back to the surface with the hot water.