Language course.

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.
Do you mean that as an officer there isn’t much opportunity to learn a language in general or was your reply specific to learning Pashto? I understand that any language learned would be operation specific, and so, doesn’t give much room for choice, but saying that I would definitely be motivated to learn a language.
You've answered your own question, insomuch it's operation specific. No real need for Pashto at the moment, so as @Advocado points out, why would the Corps send someone away on a course for something they will not use. My understanding is that there are some exchange postings going on, so may well be a requirement there, but as most of the world speaks English, it's not a real priority.

Nothing to stop you learning one in your own time though. Big shout went out for Spanish speakers during the Falklands war in 1982.

Alan

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Apologies for the brief explanation, I'm on mobile.

Russian/ Arabic / Spanish / Mandarin/ French are your big five to really concentrate on if you want to learn anything. The reason I say these languages is because of the amount of speakers and UK foreign interests around the world.

20% of the world speak English.
15% of the world speak Mandarin.
4.85% of the world speak Spanish.
4.23% of the world speak Arabic.
2.3% of the world speak Russian.
X% of the world speak French.

The UK have considerable interests in Africa where French and Arabic are heavily featured. French is also seen as a very fast growing language in Africa, expecting to be spoken by approximately 700m people in the next few years.

Mandarin is spoken by one the world's fastest growing military powers and it never hurts to have a homegrown capability to translate.

Russian is spoken by our nearest peer adversary, including its usage as a bridging language within the caucusus regions. Think Ukraine et al.

Spanish is heavily spoken in Central and South America where we continue to have minor interests, including the Falkland Islands.

All these languages, bar Mandarin are 'bridging languages' which explained simply, means they're often 2nd languages for a lot of people. An example would be two people;one speaks German and French, the other speaks Afrikaans and French. Their bridging language is French in this example.

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
Going back to Spanish during the FI war, I heard that "Manos arriba, hijo de puta", was easily learnt and very easy to understand!

Alan

Lockerz2112

Reaction score
Out of interest, what SQs/units would provide the best opportunity to use/learn languages in the corps? I'm assuming it would be something intelligence based?