Language Pay?

Fozzdogzz

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity

I'm fluent in Spanish and Portuguese, do the Royal Marines offer any benefits (such as additional pay) to Officers for maintaining a proficiency in other languages?

I have a friend in the US Army who's getting paid an additional ~10k a year for fluency in Russian and Thai but I haven't been able to find any information on this for the Royal Marines

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Placeholder comment, I'll dig out the language JSP when I'm back in the office but it does attract extra pay

DhobiWanKenobi

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Fairly sure you do get paid extra, but only for the days you are actually in a role using your language skills.

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Chapter 9 Section 11 – Language Awards of JSP752 details everything.

Basic premise is as follows;

Two schemes are recognised;
The Defence Basic Languages Award Scheme (BLAS)
The Defence Operational Languages Award Scheme (DOLAS).

Entitlement - Three awards.

Initial Awards. All eligible Service personnel may take a MODLEB
examination to establish proficiency. the military will not pay for training prior to initial reward unless your job requires it.

Incremental Awards. If you resit the MODLEB examination and achieve a higher level, that'll attract a further award.

Re-qualification Awards. Every three years or more, you'll be entitled to a re-qual award provided you reach the required level. If you happen to achieve a higher MODLEB than before, you'll also receive an incremental award on top.

Pay

The languages are grouped into 3 groups, Portuguese & Spanish will likely fall into group 3 (the lowest band) but you can contact DRACL to confirm.

The pay for that varies from £144 to £1152 for bog standard languages.
If you know an Operational language then the rewards are higher.

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Once you have passed out you will need to sit and pass both a Spanish and portugese listening/vocab/translation examination.

Once you pass you will be eligible for extra pay, as mentioned above you will only be paid when/if you are in a role that would require you to use the language(s). You will be paid on a daily rate basis.

So unfortunately it's not a case of your basic rate of pay increasing because of your language skills. However, say for example you go on a 6 week defence engagement exercise with the Spanish marines, you would be paid an extra £15 per day for those 6 weeks before reverting to your normal pay. (£15 was just an example figure I'm not sure exactly how much it would be).

To be honest I can't see many employment opportunities where your language skills of Spanish and Portugese would warrant extra pay, the most saught after languages tend to be Arabic, French and Pashto.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Just seen @Illustrious post above. Probably best off disregarding most of what I mentioned I think that the information I have provided particularly the part about daily rates of pay only refers to operational languages.

Fozzdogzz

Reaction score
Thank you all for the info, I'll make sure to look into this further if I make it through CTC

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Grey man Language course. Jollies Bar 23
Caversham Understanding the Language Parents & Partners 4
whatwillbewillbe! language! Royal Marines History and Knowledge 5