Language Training.

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
Sir,

I'm off to university next year after a long delay. I'm fully aware my current 'CV' wouldn't stand me in very good stead as a POC at the moment. At university, I intend to remedy this. Sports, OTC etc. I'm also looking at language courses to study along with my degree - specifically, Pashto.

A couple of questions:

What sort of stead would an ability to communicate in Pashto stand me in as a POC? Presumably, I could also do further study with the Corps? If I'm able to achieve any sort of fluency in Pashto, what sort of role would I be likely be able to move into in the Corps after the initial troop command?

Thanks in advance for your time.

MT6690

Reaction score
i dont even know what the fork that is lad..i can tell you this tho, i can speak arabic but want to take it further, i thort about doin a course before the marines but i havent got the time. if you do it before the marines theyll love you, the love anyone who can speak more than one language and theyll always push you to become better in it etc. Im not too sure about *text deleted* language tho, arabic's obv usefull because of the the current state in the middle east. hope that helps.

MT

MUFC

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
i dont even know what the fork that is lad..i can tell you this tho, i can speak arabic but want to take it further, i thort about doin a course before the marines but i havent got the time. if you do it before the marines theyll love you, the love anyone who can speak more than one language and theyll always push you to become better in it etc. Im not too sure about *text deleted* language tho, arabic's obv usefull because of the the current state in the middle east. hope that helps.

MT

MUFC

Pashto is the language of the Pashtuns, the group which make up the majority of the population in Helmand...

Reaction score
It would he helpful to have a learning of Pashto but you need the basic qualities to be an RM Officer first and foremost. You may be completely fluent in every language in the world but ultimately you won't get it to the Corps unless you have strong leadership potential, determination and are physically fit and robust.
I would concentrate on developing your leadership ability and positions of responsibility first. Unfortunately, you may not even get in to the Corps, in which case learning Pashto would have been a waste of time!
Stick to the basics mate,
Best of luck.
RMRO

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. Makes sense. If I can fit it in around various responsibilities etc. which I intend to get involved in, I'll do it - if not, it isn't as important as developing and showing the qualities of an RM officer.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Obviously you wont get in on the strength of your language skills, but it can be a nice filler for your CV, gives you a bit more character and make it seem less bland. I'm taking lessons on German, though mainly because I just want to learn German.

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
Languages are something I've always been interested in, mainly for cultural reasons. Ever since reading a history of the Taliban, I've been really interested in the Pashtuns. They're brave, fierce and loyal people. Their code of honour, the Pashtunwali is admirable and they quite often live up to it.

I wouldn't study it purely in relation to a career as an RM officer, but like you said, I'm sure it couldn't hurt as long as all the other aspects of being a good leader are there. I'm sure - thinking way, way ahead here - being able to talk to some of the locals in Helmand without going through an interpreter couldn't hurt the hearts and minds thing. Like when you go to France, you'll find that the French are a lot more open and friendly if you can speak even a little of their language. It shows respect. But like I said, I'm thinking way ahead here.

Even if I fail in my ambition to be a RM officer, I wouldn't say I'd wasted my time studying it. Knowledge and education is never a waste.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Grey man Language course. Jollies Bar 23
F Language Pay? General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat 6
Caversham Understanding the Language Parents & Partners 4