Last minute panic!!

Tarod

Reaction score
Right guys i need a bit of support!! getting really worried about my score on the upper body exercises! i am ok for the running as that is something i have alwayas been reasonably good at ( i can get a time of 9.46 at the mo for the return best effort) my scores are press ups: 40 Sit ups: 70 and pull ups: 3 or 4. Some of the guys on here get some really big press up scores!
I have prmc in 5 days, starting to think maybe i booked it a little too early! im going to give absolutely everything i have on the day to improve my scores but does anyone see a huge problem with them? :confused:

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
not great as such but if you really push it and want it you should pass, you just *text deleted* show 200% determination to pass. but with them scores i feel you should pass.

matty630

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
agreed with above, but watch out on your pullups, the grip on the bar down at lympstone is sh*t, some lads on mycourse coudnt get one. and they say you need a minimum of 3 to pass course. Good luck mate. give it everything!

Woody

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just go balls out on the day mate. The staff will be a lot more convinced you are potential Marine material if you just go balls out on everything and show grit and determination.

I noticed somebody recently posted their PRMC results HERE and he just scrapes in with the running time and doesn't achieve huge amounts of push-ups and press-ups and he passed.

Just think theres no point worrying about it now and just focus on giving a cracking performance on the day.

robigunner88

Reaction score
Also the adrenaline on the day will give all your results a massive boost, as this will be deciding whether they think that you have what it takes to be a Royal Marine.
So I wouldn't worry to much. Just make sure your as physically fit as you think you can be be for you go.

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
im going to give absolutely everything i have on the day to improve my scores but does anyone see a huge problem with them?
Thats the stuff, give it absolutely everything then a bit more and you will do well.

Best of luck to ya!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
In brutally honest terms your press-ups & pull-ups, ie: upper body, are going to be your weak areas & there's not a lot that is going to make them better in 4 days. If you cannot comfortably achieve 4 pull-ups, after running 3 miles, completing the bleep test, completing the press-ups and sit-ups you will struggle.

You have a couple of options:

1. Continue & hopefully, as suggested, you will get an adrenalin rush on the day. If you don't you will possibly have to wait 3 to 6 months or thereabouts before re-taking PRMC and face the psychological barrier of having to do it all again.

2. Postpone until confident of passing & re-booking in a few weeks.

Best of luck.

sooty795

Reaction score
i wouldn`t get hung up on what other people say they can do on here mate, in my opinion you`ve left it a little late at 4days to go, if your don`t think you`ll pass then postpone, you need to go down there confident of passing.

smithy85

Reaction score
Trying to sneak past me eh Dan *text deleted*. Don't worry so much, like the guys have said what other people get is good but should be of no concern for you. I'd be surprised if everyone goes down to ctcrm feeling 100% confident on every evolution, you will always have some doubt. You just have dig as deep as you can and smash it when you are there giving the best representation of yourself as you can. Also remember its a POTENTIAL royal marines course, thats what they are looking for not the finished product. So chin up and run like a mother f*text deleted**er and go balls out on everything you can!

Josh

Reaction score
hi i passed my prmc on the 9th may. by the time you get to the press ups *text deleted* upper body is hanging out already so you need the stamina. just give everything you can and you will pass but if you dont thn the crpls will have you balls on a plate.

Point

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
The way i look at it is there is nothing you can do about it now so just go all in and see what happens. I sure you'll be fine, but if not you know exactly what to expect next time when you repeat it and what you must do to improve.
Yeh you'll have to go through the prmc again but you want to be a royal marine right and its not the last time your going to feel like a bag of *text deleted**text deleted* in phys! Best of luck mate let us know how you get on!

Iago

Reaction score
You'll be fine mate, don't underestimate willpower on the day.

Best of luck.

Tarod

Reaction score
Last workout before PRMC

Thanks for the great replies guys and for the honesty. I managed to do 50 pressups today on my last work out, 66 sit ups and a clean 3 pull ups. Feeling more confident as i did them without any rest in between whatsoever, only the 2 seconds i took to jump up to the bar!
I think the low press up score was due to the intensity of the training, i now know that i needed a few more complete upperbody rest days.
Thanks again guys i will post my results next friday in the relevant section.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The very best of luck to you- be sure to take rest days before you go, just keep it ticking over-don't aim for personal bests at this stage, save them for Lympstone!

South

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You'll be fine mate, don't underestimate willpower on the day.

Best of luck.
Thats damn true... i passed on 9th may... its all about determination my friend, your scores dont sound much different to mine so just GO FOR IT!!!

Good luck mate.

Globe-Trotter

PRMC Passed
Reaction score
I noticed somebody recently posted their PRMC results HERE and he just scrapes in with the running time and doesn't achieve huge amounts of push-ups and press-ups and he passed.
That was me!*text deleted*

I will just add theres a lot more to the PRMC to just the result of your gym test ie determination test,high obstacle,swim test,attitude etc.If im honest I think recently too much focus has been put on the fitness side of the PRMC and not enough on the mental side of the course on the forum

Youve got to get a good Pull up score because if you dont get the 3 good pull ups at least then they wont let you on the high obstacle course-instant fail I think,Thers now good being able to be a racing snake with high score on abs and press ups when you can only struggle to do 3 pull ups-you WILL be tired after the 3 mile,bleep test,press ups and situps done BEFORE the pull ups,plus the pull upsd are full stretch with a pause and hang before each one at the timings given by the PTI-not just banging them out quickly,if you havent trained like this then you might not get through.On that high obstacle course youve got to show confidence at height (walking/jog along some scaffolding boards with no safety net to catch you about 30ft up in the air)Loads of people were getting sent back to do this over and over again to show confidence to the instructors.

Same with in deternation test.On this you will really be hanging out and even the fittest will be struggling,if you quit then that doesnt look good at all-so this is a true test of how much you want it.

I think a lot of people have gone down to PRMC thinking about the scores you need to pass without the other bits such as the high obstacle course etc you need do-fail on one of there then youre out anyway regardless fit you are.You will be tired due to lack of sleep,running everywhere,marking time,listening out for orders-this all drains you constantly so train accordlingly.When I was down there there were fitter people than me (ran quicker times etc) but failed because they wrapped on the determination test or couldnt do enough good pull ups.

I guess what im trying to say is you can train nearly anyone to the fitness for PRMC put you cant train someone to not have a fear of heights or determination when it gets tough-you either have that or you dont.

Yes I think I did scrape through with my scores but doing all the other parts of the course correctly and not drawing attention to myself with silly behavoiur or not listening to orders and getting punishmernts from the instructors probably helped me through

Just my 2 pence

Gtlaau

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Good luck with the prmc mate.

keep your chin up and dont quit no matter what.

Just keep saying to yourself

"Royal Marines Commandos Never Quit"

Woody

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Wonder how he's getting on.

Pull-ups seem essential to get a decent score on. I sure hope i can crack a few out after all the previous exercises.

Tarod

Reaction score
DO NOT GO TO LYMPSTONE WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO DO 5 OR MORE CONFIDENT CLEAN PULL UPS WITH SLIGHT PAUSES!! This is what i have learned and now i impart it to you. You are so knackered from the warm ups and the 3-miler and bleep test, press ups and sit ups that you will have no juice left in your arms and will be mostly relying on that muscle memory to get you through this bit. I managed 2 and 3/4 and failed. I stayed on till the end of the course to earn a four month return time though. The morning after i got back and every single part of my body is saturated with lactic acid and i can hardly move:embarrest:

Point

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
Gutted mate! Well done for giving it your all and battling through till the end though. I guess you know what to expect and how to train for it aye!