Last minute PJFT tips?

sbradb

Reaction score
Got my PJFT booked on the 11th. Any last minute tips?

Just been very focused on running intervals on the treadmill since booking (e.g. 6x 18kmh 400m/200m rest 2% gradients) after the 12min 1.5mile warm up run so I can get more comfortable with speed on the dreadmill. What else can I do now to help me feel more comfortable and confident on the day?

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Lots of stretching, keep picturing yourself leaving the gym with a tick in the box and the day before fill up on carbs and water.

sbradb

Reaction score
What would anyone recommend eating/how much to eat and how much water to take on before the test itself?

MF 1195

Reaction score
All depends on what time of day your test is. Although don’t eat anything heavy 2 hours prior, and 30mins before I’d suggest a banana - keep topped up on water too. Good luck anyhow, go and smash it!

OldmanL

Reaction score
How confident are you on the second run ? I had to do 2 PJFT's as my first one expired, i was pretty nervous first time round but just had a healthy/ energy rich breakfast and lots of water! I only ask how confident you are on the second run because second time round for me i just wanted to get it over with as i wanted to do my PRMC, set it anywhere between 14.6kph - 15kph for the majority and speed it up within the last few 100 meters and you'll pass it no worries. Gets you done in about 9:40 seconds, nothing special but running outside and focusing on the BFT run is the big one! ( Just pass your first PRMC so you don't run the risk of expiring the PJFT results -vomit--banghead- )

corvus

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
It's honking but don't stop. Don't press that big red button and don't stand on the side. Grit your teeth and the faster you run it the faster the pain stops.

sbradb

Reaction score
I confess I’m not confident and I’ve never had consistent results practicing it (sometimes scraping through, sometimes failing) and I’ve even thrown up a few times. Outside I have a lot fewer problems and feel so much more comfortable. I find the treadmill a dark and miserable place- makes me want to pass that much more so I hopefully don’t have to go near one again o_O

"Crikey mate"

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
the faster you run it the faster the pain stops.

Spot on in my opinion ^

End of the day don't overthink it mate, its a very basic run and simple test of your fitness. If you can do it on the road, its the same on the treadmill. If you've put the training in, your body can do it.

Coming in under 10 minutes shouldn't be too difficult, most people of a very basic fitness level are capable of it even if they barely train, have had plenty of clients of all shapes, sizes, ages and levels of fitness manage this.

It's honestly just about gritting those teeth and enduring the pain when it starts to get hard on the second 1.5.

It's meant to hurt, learn to get comfortable in that hurt zone because in RT you're going to be there a lot and wanting to jack it in many times a day, its all about fighting those negative thoughts and pushing through. The mind controls the body.

For the first 1.5, just concentrate on relaxing and focus on your breathing. Shake the arms off a bit, take a couple of sips of water throughout, wipe your sweat off and remind yourself its just the warm up for the actual run.

In the break between the two runs, get off and walk around, keep the legs moving. Really concentrate on re-gaining your breathing and trying to settle the body down. Either hands on head, or on chest as they'll have you do at CTC, to open up the lunges and focus on breathing.

On the second 1.5 don't start too fast, build it up as you go along, as was said above, getting faster and faster towards the end.

Keep your arms going back and forward, not across your body, keep your head up as this helps the airways open up and more oxygen can get in

When it starts to get 'unbearable' I find mental distraction is a great technique when it starts to get really painful, put your mind somewhere else like your happy place, weirdly i like to think of sex haha, or imagine yourself on the 30 miler and tell yourself how absolutely nothing a pissy little treadmill run is compared to what you're going to go through.

At the end of the day the treadmill is going at a set pace, as long as you just keep moving those legs you can't fail. If you can do it on the road, the only reason you're going to fail on the treadmill is because of your mind.

If your minds failing you at this stage I'd say you've got work to do hardening it up before PRMC and RT.

Don't have any caffeine on the day, keep hydrated, big carby meal the night before, light but nutritious breakfast and as said above get a banana in about 30-45 mins before.

Not a hero story just wanting to show you it can be done. At one point I hadn't trained at all for 6 months, I'd just been binge drinking, partying about 3 nights a week and living off junk food, woke up hungover one morning, went to the gym with a mate and managed a 9:23 return. Largely in the mind.

You've got enough time before the 11th to get another practice in, if you fail this practice, ring your AFCO and delay the PJFT.

Best of luck for it and let us know how you get on bro!

P.s I almost always throw up, you're going to have headspins and feel generally rooted no matter how fit you are.

sbradb

Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies! I done another practice today and managed a pass. I know it’s in me (and everyone) to do it and I totally agree with the above- it’s a mind game and just got to be comfortable feeling uncomfortable.

Just got to keep this consistent now.

"Crikey mate"

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies! I done another practice today and managed a pass. I know it’s in me (and everyone) to do it and I totally agree with the above- it’s a mind game and just got to be comfortable feeling uncomfortable.

Just got to keep this consistent now.

Really good to hear mate!

I'd say you've even got time to get another mock PJFT in before the actual one to increase your confidence even more!

You've got this :)

sbradb

Reaction score
Quick update to this thread:

Thank you everyone who gave me advice on here and Pm’ed me! All your advice helped me massively! I can happily say I passed with a 09:30 return :D I know nothing to write home about but I’m well chuffed none the less! If anyone has any questions about their upcoming PJFT for me don’t be afraid to ask on this thread or private message me!
Thank you all again!:D

Last edited:

Latest posts

New Threads