Last minute technique tips to gain a rep or two.

HelmundOfWest

Reaction score
PRMC is next tuesday and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips that has helped them save a bit of energy on the gym tests or run, which managed to get them a few extra reps or seconds shaved off?
For example, having empty lungs on the way up on sit ups. Thanks.

Trooper149

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
In the days before my PRMC I did the following:

- from 4 to 1 day before PRMC I had very little/no carbohydrate, and then I carbed up on the journey down. I felt that this gave my muscles more energy.

-the 2nd and 3rd day before PRMC I focused less on reps and sets and more on just sheer effort. I did some beast circuits and runs. At the end of the day PRMC is all about effort so might as well get into that state of mind rather than technique, reps and other mental masturbation.

-that said, on the day before I went down to PRMC, I did some 3rep maxes on weighted pull ups and weighted press ups as well as deadlift (I caution this if you arent experienced in weight training)

-while on PRMC, stretch mate and here is the rationale. If your muscles are tight and tonic, they will resist eachother when you try to move. For example: biceps and triceps (google them if you dont know). When you perform bicep curl, tricep has to stretch. When you perform tricep extension, bicep must stretch. All exercises are the same. For every muscle being worked, there is another being stretched. The tighter your muscles, the more the opposite muscle needs to work in order to move. Not handy. Also If you are trying to sprint, but your stride is limited due to tight muscles, then you won't achieve a good a stride as you normally would, with loose muscles.

-focus on the count. When doing the gym test, you are going to have a bleep. When you are doing those tests, the bleep is the only thing that matters. Yes, follow the technique they prescribe, but after that, the bleep is the only thing that matters. Don't think about anything else. Only the bleep. You have to either be beating or in line with the bleep.

-lastly, is squeeze your hands really tightly. When I am about to max out at something, squeezing my hands into a fist, as tight as possible for a 1-2 seconds, somehow gets me an extra rep every time.

Beyond that dude, it's preparation. Could offer alot of cool, small things you can do in training to boost your performance, but there are no short tricks.

Good luck

HelmundOfWest

Reaction score
In the days before my PRMC I did the following:

- from 4 to 1 day before PRMC I had very little/no carbohydrate, and then I carbed up on the journey down. I felt that this gave my muscles more energy.

-the 2nd and 3rd day before PRMC I focused less on reps and sets and more on just sheer effort. I did some beast circuits and runs. At the end of the day PRMC is all about effort so might as well get into that state of mind rather than technique, reps and other mental masturbation.

-that said, on the day before I went down to PRMC, I did some 3rep maxes on weighted pull ups and weighted press ups as well as deadlift (I caution this if you arent experienced in weight training)

-while on PRMC, stretch mate and here is the rationale. If your muscles are tight and tonic, they will resist eachother when you try to move. For example: biceps and triceps (google them if you dont know). When you perform bicep curl, tricep has to stretch. When you perform tricep extension, bicep must stretch. All exercises are the same. For every muscle being worked, there is another being stretched. The tighter your muscles, the more the opposite muscle needs to work in order to move. Not handy. Also If you are trying to sprint, but your stride is limited due to tight muscles, then you won't achieve a good a stride as you normally would, with loose muscles.

-focus on the count. When doing the gym test, you are going to have a bleep. When you are doing those tests, the bleep is the only thing that matters. Yes, follow the technique they prescribe, but after that, the bleep is the only thing that matters. Don't think about anything else. Only the bleep. You have to either be beating or in line with the bleep.

-lastly, is squeeze your hands really tightly. When I am about to max out at something, squeezing my hands into a fist, as tight as possible for a 1-2 seconds, somehow gets me an extra rep every time.

Beyond that dude, it's preparation. Could offer alot of cool, small things you can do in training to boost your performance, but there are no short tricks.

Good luck

This is brilliant mate thank you for putting this up. Its a big help, this time next week RMFA and BFT will be smashed

Trooper149

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
This is brilliant mate thank you for putting this up. Its a big help, this time next week RMFA and BFT will be smashed

Cheers dude. Just an extra note: when I said I was 'extra phys' some circuits and runs, I made sure to include all the gym tests I was going to be doing aswell e.g. 1.5mile return, bleep test, pull ups, etc. I made sure to practice those to exhaustion. I.e. 3 max effort attempts on each.

Peace