Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Last PRMC 2017 “A strong course this week!” Diary

Discussion in 'PRMC Diaries' started by greymanx, Dec 17, 2017.

1. greymanx

greymanx Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Hi Lads - A breakdown here of what happened on my PRMC 17-030 (12th - 15th December 2017)

Arrived at Lympstone Commando for 13:00 with several guys who I’d met at Exeter St Davids. We were led up to the PRMC grots (marine bedrooms) and asked to unpack our bags into the wardrobes, get changed into gash pt (sports kit) with a numbered bib on and stand in the corridor to wait for our next detail. We were then told to go to the boot cupboard and pick out a matching pair with laces and insoles intact, which turned out to be a pain in the *text deleted* as the majority are looking for 9’s or 10’s of which there aren't many. The next couple of hours was spent sat in the courtyard, polishing these boots waiting for everyone else to arrive. In the end our course was quite full consisting of 34 people. After this everyone headed to the classroom where the corporal who made the evenings lectures very enjoyable and boosted moral considerably, went through all the info and admin we needed.

An early start at 05:30 on the official Day 1 of our PRMC.

We were told to shower, shave and get into suits ready to head down to scran (the canteen). As most people will tell you, my advice with the food is to eat as much as possible, you will always have at least an hour before any phys happens to let it go down. Our group was then told to change into combats which for us consisted of a rugby shirt, combat trousers and boots and head to the drill shed. We learnt the basics of drill and marching. Practicing this a few times before going to a bigger lecture hall where the chief instructor ran through what was expected of us and the events which would take place over the next two days.

After changing out of combats back into gash pt, we were ready for our 3 mile run. 1.5 miles out as a squad, and then the same back as a best effort. 11.15 - 10.30(1 point) 10.30 - 9.46(2 points) 09.45 - 9.00(3 points) 09.00 8.15(4 points) Under 8.15(5 points).

After lunch we had our gym tests. The bleep test is first, for some reason I found it much harder than in training, I’d been averaging 11.5 but on the day only got 10.6(1 point) which really knocked my confidence. Things did pick up though press ups I managed 53/60 (5 points), situps 85/85 (5 points) and pullups 11/16 (4 points).

The swimming test which immediately follows your gym tests is very relaxed, don't worry about this at all, you have to jump of the board swim up and back and pick up the brick. For the rest of the day we got to see the foundation block and speak to some recruits on week 32.

Again up at 05:30 on Day 2.

We started with a jump into the net which is very simple just listen to what you are told no need to worry lads. After this we were shown how to safely cross each obstacle on the assault course and then lined up in 3’s at the start ready for our timed run. Again no need to worry just try your best. This is the last time you can earn points towards your score and I believe if you don’t have at least 16 (grade C) by this point you will be asked to drop out.

The bottom field 'extra phys' starts now and guys it’s pass or fail just keep going, it will end quicker than you think. Initially we did bunny hops up the hill which personally I was dreading, make sure you don’t start walking as the PTI’s will send you straight to the back. We did 3 different carries and drags up the hill too and then were told to fully submerge ourselves in the tank and complete the same bunny hops as we initially did. We ended by playing it pays to be a winner, sprinting up the hill and back with the first 4 being able to rest and everyone else continuing this cycle over and over. If you are at the back (like me), use this to your advantage show them that even though you didn’t come first you still have the determination to do it again and again. When this ends you will head back to the grots to warm up, shower and go get scran. Eat as much as possible again now lads, you will be exhausted by this point but all you’ve got to do is hang on.

After quite a long rest we got on a coach which took us 15 mins to Woodbury Common (The Endurance Course). Think of this as a cross country route, they will be telling you things like if you don't work hard enough you will run back and that they will do the route over and over again. Don't worry they are just trying to test your mind. You will follow a PTI around the course stopping at different sections such as Peter’s Pool where you have to hold your breath as a group for 5 seconds under the water, this lads is probably the hardest bit. Despite what you have heard when you get to the sheep dip it’s not as bad as you think, again just do as you are told and you’ll ask what all the fuss was about.

They will do a few more carries and drags before taking you round several tunnels making you crawl across and through the mud. It’s normal at this point to feel like you are at your limit, that’s the idea your legs will be cramping and running will be tough but if you feel like quitting, I certainly did, just give it 5 more minutes (literally) and you'll be sat on that coach again eating the best mars bar of your life.

I was with a very strong group of lads with 29/34 passing, one of the highest pass rates they’d seen. I have to thank everyone there as we all pulled each other through. I think that might be my best advice, look out for everyone else, and you will be looked after too.

Merry Christmas all!!

• Like Like x 27
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  2. Fibonarchie

Fibonarchie Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hoofing effort mate. Is there anything you wish you had done/had done less prior to going?
    How are you changing your phys prior to RT?

• Like Like x 1
  3. greymanx

greymanx Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I wish I'd have worked on more leg endurance, perhaps doing hill sprints or box jumps to make the second day a bit easier. I'll definitely be doing more of that!
    Cheers though, good luck on your prmc buddy!

• Like Like x 1
  4. 12Will12

12Will12 Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Great effort mate, I remember mine like it was yesterday! Now keep up the phys over Christmas (you know what’s in store for you!) and get ready for the challenges that lie ahead!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. greymanx

greymanx Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Thanks man! I can't wait to get back down there, this is going to be a good year!!

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  6. 12Will12

12Will12 Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Keep that enthusiasm, you’re going to need it! Give me a buzz if you’ve got any questions, good luck!

7. pedders19

pedders19 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Congrats!!

I have a question...

The press ups, sit ups and pull ups, are they timed or to a beep? If so, does they beep increase speed like the beep test or stay at a constant pace?

Cheers

8. JWJ

JWJ Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    You need to watch the youtube videos done by the Royal Marines channel.

• Like Like x 1
  9. westy

westy Well-Known Member

Lads, are you using an app for the press up, sit up and pull ups with a bleep? I’ve looked all over the App Store and can’t find nothing

10. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    They're all on youtube!

Think there are a few apps you can download to download youtube videos to your phone if you wanted to.

• Like Like x 1
  11. westy

westy Well-Known Member

Yeah I’ve seen the videos but just wondered if there was a proper app!!

The other way is a bit technical for my brain haha

12. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Look up a metronome app. Just set it to a rhythm and away to go.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cuzza22297

Cuzza22297 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Use a youtube converter and download them as an mp3 onto itunes

• Like Like x 1
  14. kilofoxtrot

kilofoxtrot New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    What time did you get on your return? Do you think your vo2 suffered because you focused more on your BFT in training or was it just being tired from the other phys do you think? Also how did you perform in comparison to the mocks you had done on all gym tests and the BFT?

Apologies about the 101 questions, just curious as to how people perform down there in comparison to training.

15. greymanx

greymanx Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I did my return in 9:26 which was a pb for me, so running with a group of lads down there really does help you. I honestly couldn't tell you why my v02 suffered, I had been consistently getting 11.7ish in training so my only guess would be tiredness. My other gym tests were pretty much what I was expecting apart from getting a few more press ups.

Good luck mate!

• Like Like x 1
  16. kilofoxtrot

kilofoxtrot New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Cheers for the response and well done pal! Good luck with RT!

17. tommy123

tommy123 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Great insight! Good luck with your training fella,

I passed my RT almost a year ago, I listened to friends and changed my mind on joining and regretted it all year, I’m going to my AFCO on Monday to continue my application, how long was your fitness test after the interview and medical? I’m relatively fit, but after Christmas etc I need to lose some weight and gain some fitness *text deleted*...

Tommy

18. greymanx

greymanx Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Personally I wasn't in any rush to complete my application. I had my interview and medical in June before going on holiday and then my PJFT at the end of August. I'm sure you could do it all much quicker than me though.

Best of luck with it all man, hope to see you down there!!

19. tommy123

tommy123 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview

Champion, yeah good luck to you pal

Tommy

20. greymanx

greymanx Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    When you hoping to start training?