Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Leadership advice.

Discussion in 'RM Officer questions' started by YellowBelly98, Jun 5, 2018.

1. YellowBelly98

YellowBelly98 Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Hi guys,

I’d appreciate some advise on leadership experience and how people have gained experience before.

I’m 19, just finished my second year of uni, and I’m about to do a ‘year out’ doing a marketing placement in London. After I finish uni (July 2020), I have the goal to join the RM as a YO in the September 2020 training batch.

At the minute, I’m worried about the leadership experiences I can give in an interview. I have had some at university involving group work etc, but not much else. I won’t be applying until next July (due to medical issues), in which time I hope to spend the next 12 months working, and doing voluntary work in places such as the ACF, and Princes trust with the aim of gaining any experience relating to leadership.

I would love to hear some people’s advise about other things I could do as I’m determined to meet my goal, and willing to do anything to get there.

I think it’s worth noting I can’t do anything like UOTC due to the medical issue which prevented me from joining (until next July)

Thank you!

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Just a few observations from me:

Think about leadership in a broad sense. It's not just about leading a sports team to victory against overwhelming odds.

Fundamentally, think about the definition of leadership and then begin building a portfolio of experiences. I could easily list several everyday opportunities but that would rather defeat half the benefit which is understanding what leadership is.

Consider 'stepping outside of your comfort zone' (I loathe the phrase but it's still a good idea.)

Identify leadership failures—in others as well as yourself—because arguably one learns more from failure than from success.

Hopefully others will contribute with their own ideas and experiences. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Buster

Buster New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I have always found that the best leaders are the ones who can back up their claims with actions. "Actions speak louder then words". *text deleted* the best leaders are the ones who put the team before themselves. In my experience, people will always give their 110% if their leader/boss is totally committed and professional with them. However if the leader cuts corners,... people are much less incline to giving it their best. I don't know if it is like that for you guys?

4. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    You seem to have a good idea about what is required and I would echo @Chelonian in that it is not all about 'sports teams and prefects'. During your year out try and broaden your life experience; travel is a good way of doing this but think about what you can do...back packing in Australia probably won't add any value, but taking part in a conservation project in Africa would be seen in a good light. On your POC you are required to talk about why you are interesting... more challenging if you haven't actually done anything.

When in London there are loads of opportunities to add value to the community; helping out coaching a kids sports team, helping the homeless, elderly etc. Also, the UOTC is not the only Uni Society, can you get on the committee of one of the other societies, organising functions, fundraising etc? Get a gang of friends / colleagues together and do an event for charity. All these are valid examples of situations where you have shown initiative and taken the lead.

It is not all about standing at the front shouting 'follow me', by getting yourself out there leadership opportunities will present themselves and when they do grasp them with both hands. The Sandhurst motto 'Serve to Lead' is still pretty relevant.

5. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

@YellowBelly98 The comment by @dodgyknees about sports teams and prefects is definitely worth thinking about.
    Sports teams in particular have a hierarchy and a common goal in which every team member invests. Team members are usually—but not always—compliant to leadership; it's a given. Leading a sports team is arguably an easy option. Compare this to, say, the leadership required to persuade and coerce a group of youngsters who are hostile to authority into achieving a group goal.

6. YellowBelly98

YellowBelly98 Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    @Chelonian @dodgyknees @Buster
    Cracking advice guys, thank you. I completely agree on the standard headboy or sports team leader examples, however I haven't had those experiences anyway so I couldn't use them. After having a think and taking in your advice, I'm definitely going to search around for roles I can do which involve leadership in slightly more adverse situations. I will definitely be aiming to partake in the Cadet Force as an adult volunteer, and get some voluntary experience in at the Princes trust though, and anything else will be an added bonus :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. CHUB!

CHUB! Careers Adviser

As already suggested it is often the way you 'sell yourself'. I know people who have extensive leadership ability but can't convey it verbally. My outrageous analogy I use is;
    I led the world for a week............
    Most people would just put that now,
    Did I sit fat dumb and happy on a throne or did I chair meetings, solve problems, advise other leaders, was it logical and planned, how did I adapt and overcome when it went wrong, how did I deal with discipline or dealing with challenging people? The hardest decision you will ever have to make is always the opposite to the one you would prefer.
    It is the detail that matters, best examples of leadership are when it goes wrong....................devil is in the detail. So don't be fat dumb and happy, it is not a good look!. -banghead-

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1