Leadership experience

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by donko733, Nov 5, 2018.

1. donko733

donko733 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Hello all,

Plainly put, I have essentially no leadership experience outside being a leader of a prefect team during secondary school. I'm in my third year of university and have applied for the 2019 officer intake. I had intended to go and work in something completely different before deciding about a month ago that I couldn't work that kind of job and needed something like the Royal Marines. Am I dreaming if I think that this is worth a shot with such little to show my potential? Would it be recommended for me to take a year to gain leadership experience, or would squeezing in sufficient experience quickly before interviews be possible?

I have been eagerly spending almost all of my free time over the past two weeks researching, and my confidence took a tumble today when I came to read what people have said about the AIB interview.

Thank you

2. cc1

cc1 (former RM)

I suppose a question I can extrapolate from what you've said already is: What have you done that makes you think you're a leader and have the right leadership qualities?

Answering this should lead you towards examples of leadership you can already demonstrate and expand upon. If not then there's plenty you can do, but you'll be hard pressed to cram that into such a tight time window.

Your 3rd year of university doesn't end until summer next year so now would be the perfect time to plan an expedition or similar that can openly demonstrate teamwork, planning, communication and coordination of multiple assets towards a singular objective.

3. donko733

donko733 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    It's something I'm not sure about. I'm physically fit and have usually been the most intelligent of my peers for most of my life and even now at university - it's the leadership qualities which I'm not sure of.

I suppose that I've always been the leader of my friendship groups (even when having multiple groups and moving between them), and tend to manage things when people shirk responsibilities - for example corresponding with landlords when the other tenants leave it to someone else. I'm not the head tenant where I live right now, but I'm the one who is always making sure people pay rent on time, are aware of landlord agent visits, keep the place clean and tidy, sort repairs with the landlord. etc. I'm usually the one people come to when they want help with that email to the council, or that advice on that person who's someone is struggling to get along with, or how to fill out that form, etc.

I'm also the one who tends to know how to do things. I'm the one who is best in the kitchen, and teach others how to cook things better than they do. I'm the one people come to when the internet is down and nobody knows why, or when a computer isn't working.

I know these are all insignificant, but I've never viewed myself as less of a leader than any of the people around me who did the kind of things that you can put on a CV.

4. allye

allye Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Queries not having leadership experience, gives brilliant example of leadership experience!

I think you’re muddying the lines of what being a good leader is, the example you’ve given is a perfect one. Managing people, relationships, deadlines and paper work.

5. donko733

donko733 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    None of it seems like the kind of thing I could use in an interview. It all seems like the kind of thing anyone could make up to try and blag having leadership experience.

6. allye

allye Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    You’ve missed my point I guess. The example youve given is a great example. Just because it’s not a appointed position of authority or a uniform doesn’t make it any less relavent.