Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Leadership Skills

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by tdudley, Apr 18, 2008.

1. tdudley

tdudley New Member

Improving Leadership

Hi,

I've been looking at the forums for a couple of months now and researching various bits and pieces and am considering the marines as an officer after university at some point. I'm currently in my first year and the only society I'm in is the climbing club and I'd like to join a few others (probably next year). In mind I have: OTC (Officers Training Corps), Duke of Edinburgh Gold scheme, Rowing Running (I know the OTC is army but I think it'll do me good, and probably will be doing DoE. I might also do some volunteer work somehow).

Anyways, I'm probably not the most confident of people and would like to know how to improve leadership potential, I feel out of the societies listed above OTC would probably be best. Any recommendations?

2. Duffy1

Duffy1 New Member

Hey mate,

i've been in London OTC for 2 years and without doubt it has been the best part of uni. I would recommend it 100%, t will certainly give you leadership experience. The 1st yr is basic stuff like weapons handling, fieldcraft etc. and then in the 2nd yr you are given command apointments on the training exercises. This yr i've had crack at doing everyting at 1 stage or another, section commander, platoon sargent and platoon commander etc. The other stuff sounds li it cud b useful as well but get involved with *text deleted* OTC.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Eloquently put Duffy, clearly you have benefited & I'd certainly go along with the OTC idea.

Having been 2i/c at one of the Tri-service Oxbridge University Royal Navy Units (URNUs) - which, for the uninitiated, is the RN equivalent of the Army Officer Training Corps (OTC) and the RAF University Air Squadron (UAS), from a potential RM Officer candidates' viewpoint, there is probably more to be gained from the OTC than the URNU.

Whilst at the co-located URNU, our budding potential RM Officers who had joined the URNU managed to involve themselves with OTC exercises as well, which enabled them to gain their Military Training Qualification (MTQ) 1 & 2 which they claimed greatly helped them for POC with regard leadership & fieldcraft skills. Similarly their URNU involvement, they said, helped them prepare for passing AIB & they gained leadership experience, navigation skills & RYA powerboat qualifications to boot. Involvement in any of the university military sections will undoubtedly greatly enhance your chances of passing selection and indeed improve your communication skills.

4. Point

Point RM Officer Recruit

I'm in in final year at university and have been in Wales URNU since my first year. i can see the benefits of the OTC given that its more related to the RMs so I'd definitely recommend it. Although i think i would have joined the OTC if i wasnt grabbed by the URNU first, I would not change the last three years in the URNU if i could. Its given me a great insight into the Navy and I have had some awesome deployments, from NW scotland all the way round to amsterdam! Whether you do OTC or URNU its going to give you the opportunity to develop your leadership and confidence, and will help you no end in passing your POC/AIB.

5. Adz

Adz Royal Marines Commando

Hmm well I thought the OTC would be great to get involved in when I first got to Aberdeen Uni, but after four months of giving it a chance I came to the conclusion that it was more of a drinking club than anything else!

I had been in the ATC for four years previously and got to cadet sergeant, and in my opinion it was far more valuable to me than the OTC turned out to be. Compared to the ATC parade nights the equivilent OTC parades were a joke - no organisation, a lot of sitting around doing nothing and a lot of repetition of the same things where there was clearly no need. I have to admit that the OTC does provide more exciting and challenging opportunities (because of course all officer cadets are over 18 and so there are less legal restrictions), but these were few and far between and more often than not poorly implemented.

Now I do not want to make the blanket statement that all OTC's in every uni are like this; because I know for a fact they are not(some of my friends were very suprisied when I told them of my experiences), but on the other hand I also no that Aberdeen is not the only one that has been criticised in a similar way. I suppose I was a little dissapointed really as I had heard such good things about other OTC units, and I really wanted to be part of one of the best organisations (*text deleted*) that you can get involved in when at uni. It's not so bad now as I have found some other clubs and activities to get involved with - toffing around in the tennis club and having a laugh with my band mainly.

Just wanted to share my personal experiences with the OTC.

(Takes cover from angry pro-OTC characters!):bully:

6. Duffy1

Duffy1 New Member

I think the quality of your experience with OTC will vary depending on which one you join. I'm at London OTC and have had sum quality training because it's the biggest and best OTC in the country. The training they provide for the cadets depends on the funding they get-London receives over half the funding for all OTC's (there are almost twenty) I've heard form mates that at Sheffield OTC for example that they hardly even do training weekends whreas we cud do something every wkend if we wanted.

7. RC

RC Active Member

Alright Mate.

If there's an RMR unit fairly local it may be worth considering. You'll get plenty of opportunities to lead a section during training whilst under pressure, particulary if you make known your future intentions. Also, you'll gain an insight into how RM Officers lead - most, in my experience, are ex regs.

Also, it may be worthwhile going to your learning centre at Uni and getting a Social Psychology text book, most will have a section on leadership. This will give you a basic knowledge of some of the qualities which are related to effective leadership. This basic understanding should give you some idea's for further, more in depth research. From this you should be able to emphasize important aspects of your personality and demonstrate to the AIB you have the qualities required to be a effective leader.

Hope this helps.

Rich.

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Again, I agree with considering joining the RMR whilst an undergrad, but you must remember your primary aim at Uni is to achieve your degree & the RMR, unlike the URNU & OTC, is an operational organisation from which you can be compulsory mobilised once trained. So far all operational RMR deployments have been met by volunteers & the situation has not yet arisen, but don't think it can't. The URNU, UAS & OTC are List 7 reserves for the purpose of pay but cannot be mobilised as they are not trained.

The other issue is that to complete Commando training whilst at Uni is a huge commitment & the balancing act is far from easy- very few succeed in gaining an honours degree & a green beret simultaneously.

9. Charlie S

Charlie S New Member

Ninja, i am not at uni, i am in my final year of 6th form, i want to join as an officer and make it for the Sept 09 intake, would it be possible for me to join OTC to improve my leadership skills and prepare for the POC/AIB etc. or would i have to be an undergrad??

10. Duffy1

Duffy1 New Member

You have to be an undergrad with at least 2 years of study remaining to join OTC

11. tdudley

tdudley New Member

Cheers for the help guys, I'll definitely attempt to join the OTC with next years intake.

12. Duffy1

Duffy1 New Member

Which OTC will you be looking to join tdudley?

13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Charlie S, there's you answer. The URNU is similar.

14. tdudley

tdudley New Member

I'm currently at Swansea University but not entirely sure how things are run so it may be just students from this university or maybe local ones also (such as Swansea Institute), but nevertheless the OTC in Swansea.

15. Point

Point RM Officer Recruit

Swansea boy aye! I'm at Cardiff Uni at the moment. I think you join swansea detachment of Wales Company. Good to see another Welsh boy on here!

16. MeridiaNx

MeridiaNx New Member

Hi there.

I'm also in the process of applying for Officer training, so I thought I'd just whack a few things on here that I've done in the past/that are on my CV that I believe have some application in 'leadership' skills. Just in case you haven't thought of some of them.

CCF/OTC - I must stress I did the former, so a lower level than OTC I guess. Nevertheless I found it gave experience both at some basic 'military' skills (weapon drills, section/platoon attacks, fieldcraft, drill etc. etc.) and, seeing as I did it for many years and went up the ranks, experience of basic command. Classroom instruction, leading drill, organising exercises and so on.

Teaching - Taught in China for a year. Quite extreme I know, but I think any sort of teaching experience could come in handy in terms of giving you practice at classroom discipline, creating lessons that fit into the long-term goal of a syllabus, learning the different ways to interact with those you are 'in charge' of i.e. motivational, encouraging, praising, punishing and so on. Not sure where you could get this in the UK, but I'm sure something volunteer-realted could be found if it floats your boat.

Drama - May sound stupid I know, but I've done it for years and I find it's invaluable in terms of personal confidence and voice projection. I suppose of use if you find yourself somewhat nervous when called to stand up in front of large groups and need practice at it.

Sport - any team game gives practice/shows an ability to work well within a team, particularly if you take on an organising role. I just graduated and, though I don't know what it's like at other unis, at Durham all collegiate sport was student-run. So if it works similarly where you are, getting on the exec for the team and being the fixture organiser or the club secretary can't hurt in terms of proving organisational skills.

No idea if some of these seem a bit stupid but I feel they've worked for me and I'm going to be mentioning them, among others, when required at interview. Hope some of it helps.

17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

To be honest, all the above points, (yes drama too) tick all the correct boxes.

18. Mitch

Mitch New Member

The cadets organizations have been the best thing for me. Where I used to be a quiet person and quite nervous when speaking in front of people I am not as shy now and I find public speaking comes almost naturally!
    I have been in the cadets for a long while now; was in the Army Cadet Force for just over 2 years and am in my second year of RAF section CCF at school now, turning sergeant this Friday (woohoo!).
    I have not done teaching like MeridiaNx has but i have taught a lot in cadets and actually done this to a very tight schedule, teaching new sixth formers to my school what would normally take 3 years for new cadets!
    Again with cadets I have taken leadership courses, one of which was at Frimley which is a big cadet training center, which, though not teaching me an awful lot about leading or teaching etc., gave me bucket loads of confidence when I got back to my detachment.
    I have just realized that this post sounds a bit like I am blowing my own trumpet but it does highlight how much you can get out of cadets (and I am guessing the OTC being fairly similar) as long as you put in the effort and show some dedication.

Mitch

19. TJ08

TJ08 New Member

I'm in CCF at the moment ive got up to colour sergeant. Ive done loadsa good stuff and its really improved military skills, weapons handling, fieldcraft etc,
    also climbing, abseiling and other AT activities.

When i went for an interview, pre-psychometric test, they told me i should have other areas that i have displayed leadership. Other than CCF and DofE.
    what else do they mean? when i go to uni and hopefully join an OTC what else can supplement my leadership background?

20. Point

Point RM Officer Recruit

you can get alot out of the societies you join at university. Have you travelled at all, could be some leadership in that?
    A lot fo my examples came from being apart of the URNU, if they question that you havent got a variety of examples then you can always say that the OTC (if you joined) took up alot of your time and didnt feel you could do anything else. The way you re-word it to work in your favour. does that make sense?