Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Leading as an Officer or Marine?

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by greycarpet47, Nov 13, 2018.

1. greycarpet47

greycarpet47 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi everyone,

Been milling about on this forum for a while and reading the threads about officers. Got the typical question between the two. I've done RMC for 4 years now and absolutely love being IC of my detachment and leading section attacks and teaching etc etc.. Naturally the leadership side of an officer appeals to me however I get the image that it doesn't last when you get drafted away from the field. In short would being a corporal or above be better for leading from the front as it still incorporates the soldiering side.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

The leading from thr front evaporates as you go up the ranks, regardless of OR or OF. You wont see many colour stripeys assaulting a position as the commander, nor will you see many Majors doing the same.

The Officers cadre will naturally be better suited to those with a high level of intelligence and emotional intelligence as they'll often be dealing with politically sensitive situations and people.

Think of it this way; OR = tactical, OF = strategic. That is a very simplistic view of it, but that's what it boils down to.

• Like Like x 1
  3. greycarpet47

greycarpet47 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yes, see what you mean. Thanks for the reply

4. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    You need to think of Officers as managers.

The higher you go, the more the paperwork and less “action” you see. But you get a decent wage.

Being a Cpl is still getting “dirty” with the lads.

Have you got the qualifications for it? Does University and people management appeal to you?

• Like Like x 1
  5. greycarpet47

greycarpet47 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I think the people management appeals to me and Ill have the grades but university certainly doesn't.

6. greycarpet47

greycarpet47 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I much prefer the practical elements so an OR will be best probably, thanks for the advice.