Leading as an Officer or Marine?

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by greycarpet47, Nov 13, 2018.

1. greycarpet47

greycarpet47 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi everyone,

Been milling about on this forum for a while and reading the threads about officers. Got the typical question between the two. I've done RMC for 4 years now and absolutely love being IC of my detachment and leading section attacks and teaching etc etc.. Naturally the leadership side of an officer appeals to me however I get the image that it doesn't last when you get drafted away from the field. In short would being a corporal or above be better for leading from the front as it still incorporates the soldiering side.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

The leading from thr front evaporates as you go up the ranks, regardless of OR or OF. You wont see many colour stripeys assaulting a position as the commander, nor will you see many Majors doing the same.

The Officers cadre will naturally be better suited to those with a high level of intelligence and emotional intelligence as they'll often be dealing with politically sensitive situations and people.

Think of it this way; OR = tactical, OF = strategic. That is a very simplistic view of it, but that's what it boils down to.

• Like Like x 1
  3. greycarpet47

greycarpet47 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yes, see what you mean. Thanks for the reply

4. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    You need to think of Officers as managers.

The higher you go, the more the paperwork and less “action” you see. But you get a decent wage.

Being a Cpl is still getting “dirty” with the lads.

Have you got the qualifications for it? Does University and people management appeal to you?

• Like Like x 1
  5. threadpigs

threadpigs Royal Marines Commando

The way I’d look at it is; an officer will be in the office as soon as they pass out, expected to do the office admin and go out on the ground when required.

Corporal is more hands on with the lads and usually provides the core training to the blokes day to day, which is organised/given the go-ahead by the troop stripey.

6. greycarpet47

greycarpet47 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I think the people management appeals to me and Ill have the grades but university certainly doesn't.

7. greycarpet47

greycarpet47 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I much prefer the practical elements so an OR will be best probably, thanks for the advice.