Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Leaving an apprenticeship

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Lew5, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Lew5

Lew5 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Alright lads just a quick one, I’m currently a year into a 3.5 year apprenticeship in a dieing trade (toolmaking) and thinking about just packing it in and training 2x a day and applying sooner instead. Or should I just see this apprenticeship through?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Is toolmaking a dying trade? :confused: Plenty of portable skills there I'd have thought.

From a practical aspect I'd suggest that you consider remaining where you are (earning a wage) and train in your own time. If you haven't applied yet perhaps 'get yourself fit to apply' and then crack on with an application. There are numerous hurdles in an application:
    Recruit Test (university graduates have failed it); Medical; PJFT; and of course PRMC.
    Once PRMC is passed you'll be in a better place to make a properly informed decision.

Just my personal opinion though. Hopefully others will chip in with their own. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Lew5

Lew5 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yeah unfortunately in this day and age it’s become obsolete. Thanks for the advice I’m definitely going to get myself fitter and get further along the line of application before leaving my job.

4. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

You’ve got to put yourself first for now. Keep getting paid, finish the apprenticeship and apply. You have youth on your side

5. Lew5

Lew5 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks for the reply I’ve been told the longer I leave it the harder it will be as I would be 21 when my apprenticeship finishes and if I got lucky and passed the application process coming up to 22 am I just going to narrow my chances of passing? Cheers.

6. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

I would say that at 22 you would be the perfect age for joining. A few years younger and you have a high risk of injury, similarly anyone in their mid to late 20s is at a higher risk of not passing out.

My advice is to finish your apprenticeship. There are plenty of transferrable skills with what you are doing. Thinking of Armourer and Vehicle Mechanic to name two.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  7. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

On the contrary, you'll be just about hitting the age sweet spot where probability of successfully completing RT is at its optimum.

Older Recruits aged about 30 and younger Recruits aged about 16 have their own issues to contend with.

Beaten to it by @Caversham :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Lew5

Lew5 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks for both of your reply’s will definitely take it into account.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Corona

Corona Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I'd say stick with it, at least until you're post PRMC as if you leave before the medical and get PMU'd, thatd be a bummer. It also helps with time management skills, extra income etc. As stated above there are many pros to keeping the apprenticeship, at least for now.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Absolutely.

I would strongly suggest, that you get your apprenticeship cracked. Don’t compromise your education.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Steeplejackb

Steeplejackb New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I've not long finished an apprenticeship and I now have a very good trade to fall back on should anything unexpected happen. Stick with it mate.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Trooper149

Trooper149 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    If not doing the trade, I would get something under your belt, even if its management running a restaurant, or another trade. Bottom line, is these days I get the impression that the forces or Marines at lease, want less the boy solider. They want someone who has some options and can bounce back if they don't get in or worse take an injury.

13. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

Why not keep the apprenticeship while training? Hedge your bets, then if you feel ready you can go for your PJFT and PRMC and if you pass you can bin the apprenticeship off and go into Recruit Training?

• Like Like x 1