Leaving RT - Week 22

ADAMERITH

Reaction score
Used this site alot before I joint so thought I'd drop a update.

Leaving RT after 22 weeks as a orginal.

I lost the itch of wanting to pass out and wasn't finding what we was learning intersting. (Excerises, etc).

Mind set on achieving other things from civi life which I have always wanted to do.

Haven't ruled out joining back in a few years but for now this is it.

Any questions, feel free to ask away.

Shadow Frog

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score

I lost the itch of wanting to pass out and wasn't finding what we was learning intersting. (Excerises, etc).

Mind set on achieving other things from civi life which I have always wanted to do.

10 weeks left !! WTF ! Pull your self together mate you will regret it TRUST ME !

"Crikey mate"

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Don't do it mate, everyone comes back and everyone regrets leaving. End of story. If you've put your chit in you can still take it back up until you leave the gates. Yes you're going to get back trooped, but think of it as a few weeks of mental and physical recovery.

What ever reasons you've got in your head now are absolute BS, I promise you. You've set yourself a goal, you have to finish it. Whatever you think you'll achieve on civi street you won't, you'll feel disappointed in yourself and have self loathing until you re-join and that green lid. I swear to you mate, don't do it.

Leaving RT was one of the biggest regrets of my life and I had a seriously ill family member, still wish I didn't leave,

Im a recruit re-join, left after hunters moon in 2014 and been trying to get back in ever since, only just got my PRMC next month, the re-join process is a nightmare.

I know I sound harsh mate but someone's got to tell you its not worth leaving at this point. Stick it out. Get your green lid. Then re-assess. you really want to come back in a few years and do that whole 22 weeks again? Doesn't seem like an issue now but if the future you'll also be hating yourself for that.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score

Sorry to hear of your decision but you seem determined to take that step, as many do, toward the closure of the 'Week 26 opt out' window.

Far better to have tried and left than to have never given it a go in the first place.

Typically, the time of year, (crap weather & just after a good Christmas) leaves everything looking a bit bleak. A couple of outdoor exercises & the prospect of another 4 years of the same can very often tip the balance.

Best of luck wherever life takes you, we hope to see you again in the future. If ever you do come back and utter the words "I should never have left", I'll be the first to tell you "I know" :D

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
You’ve gone so far, your signature says you submitted your application in 2015 and you passed the medical until 2017, you kept yourself motivated for all this time and your now within touching distance of your Green lid.

I always read on here when guys ask “what’s unit life like?” That’s it nothing like training, and you want to achieve things in civi life perhaps you can ask if you can do it whilst in the Corps.

It’s your decision at the end of the day, but part of it may be that youve comeback after Christmas leave.

Best of luck in whatever you choose to do.

Chelonian

Reaction score

I won't present arguments persuading you to remain in training because you've almost certainly made an informed decision based upon your own personal circumstances and aspirations. There's no shame in doing that. And it's appreciated that you've posted here about your decision as it gives those who follow a perspective.
Very best wishes for wherever life takes you.

BlackCat

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Myself and another lad from Hunter were in a similar situation back in 2016.

We'd both been in RT for 5 months. Fed up of our injuries, we were sat in the grots just thinking about how good civi life would be...
Driving
Lay ins
More money
Nights out (without a curfew)
Seeing our friends
Non-Sodexo Scran
Women
The list goes on...

We were really psyching eachother up to leave. And despite always hearing "you'll regret it" we were having none of it. We both had good opportunities lined up on civi street so we didn't care what anyone said.

Eventually though, the novelty wears off. And in less than 3 months time you'll see your troop with their green berets and that's when it will hit you...

Food for thought. But either way, it's your life. Best of luck with whatever you choose man.

"Crikey mate"

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Bit before you, the infamous 180!

Ah good stuff! Bet hes very happy with where he is now. Which is back to my original point, don't do it bro, you'll regret it, I promsie you.
Not for me to persuade you, just try and see reason! You're 10 weeks off that green lid. Parts of training are going to be boring no doubt! Its boxes that have to be ticked! Please for your own sake, stick in there mate

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score

Fair play. Sorry to hear. Exercises are meant to be sh!t. That’s what they are for.

Unit deployments are a lot different. I have had some good *text deleted* ups in several different countries after some hard exercises.

Hopefully you will get back to it and smash it up. All the best with your future endeavours.

D

Deleted member 20902

Best of luck on the outside mate, you say you want to do things in civi life you have always wanted to do?
Why did you not achieve them before joining?

It just seems a bit of a waste going through 22 weeks graft to leave when realistically you only have to serve 4yrs and have a massive sense of achievement from getting the green lid and with the Bootneck state of mind you can achieve achieve anything you want after.

m2013

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Dont think anybody enjoys exercise. If they say thry do theyre lying

Pendo

Reaction score
Stick it out. Get your green lid. Then re-assess.

See I've always thought this was a bad idea.

Once you hit 26 weeks in, barring some exceptional circumstances, then that's you for another 4 years. 4 years is a long time to be in a role that after a re-assess you find you still don't like. I've known lads to do this and then get themselves into all sorts of trouble to get out early, and that's not a route worth taking

If there is a genuine disinterest there then I think he's making the right decision. If he's not interested in learning the role, then chances are he isn't going to be interested in operating in the role.

I'm in the complete opposite boat. I thought everything was the absolute bees knees and I spent nearly 2 years living in a bunk bed trying to get there in the end and it absolutely broke my heart to be told that it was time for me to accept it wasn't possible - But I get where he's coming from and think he's making the right decision

"Crikey mate"

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
See I've always thought this was a bad idea.

Once you hit 26 weeks in, barring some exceptional circumstances, then that's you for another 4 years. 4 years is a long time to be in a role that after a re-assess you find you still don't like. I've known lads to do this and then get themselves into all sorts of trouble to get out early, and that's not a route worth taking

If there is a genuine disinterest there then I think he's making the right decision. If he's not interested in learning the role, then chances are he isn't going to be interested in operating in the role.

I'm in the complete opposite boat. I thought everything was the absolute bees knees and I spent nearly 2 years living in a bunk bed trying to get there in the end and it absolutely broke my heart to be told that it was time for me to accept it wasn't possible - But I get where he's coming from and think he's making the right decision

Fair enough pal! Everyone is different I'll happily agree to that. But is it really a case of genuine disinterest? if it is happy days

Some people have goals they are set to achieve by their own will, but also some don't want to achieve it after they realise how hard the work is to achieve it and bail

If you don't mind me asking, 2 years living in a bunk where? If hunter, why couldnt they fix you and why'd you leave?

Everyone wanting the green lid starts at CTC for a reason, cant imagine not wanting to finish it, especially after 22 weeks of hard training with 10 weeks until finishing just because 'the training is boring' ? Go try 98% of other job on civi street and it'll be much more boring.

I also think theres no need to go and get in 'all sorts of trouble', if you say you don't want to serve anymore and don't feel up to serving in a combat zone i imagine its not too much of a hassle to get out? as the corps dont want liabilities serving among them they'll get rid of you in a flash?

Its not for everyone thats a given, if you really don't think it is, no stress man. But if you had you heart set on it and now the going is getting super tough and you're looking for a way out 'because the training is boring' you 'lost the itch of wanting to passout' and thats the only self justiciation you can give yourself should you re-assess?

End of the day its no worry to me in the slightest, without sounding like a d!ck I honestly couldnt care less what you do dude. I just know if its what you really want you're *text deleted* be beating yourself up in 3 months at the max for not finishing it. Not the first person id know to do it.

As serving RM have said in this thread, why didnt you achieve what you wanted on civi street before joining?

Best of luck whatever you decide to do mate!

average123

Reaction score
If you really do want to leave, why post on a website that you know is going to advise you to do the opposite?

Seems like you’re still battling the two voices in your head mate

Pendo

Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking, 2 years living in a bunk where? If hunter, why couldnt they fix you and why'd you leave?

I also think theres no need to go and get in 'all sorts of trouble', if you say you don't want to serve anymore and don't feel up to serving in a combat zone i imagine its not too much of a hassle to get out? as the corps dont want liabilities serving among them they'll get rid of you in a flash?

Basically Hunter yeah. Got an injury, tried to fix it, nearly did, but then it came back again and that was the end of the road for me. Wasn't my choice to go, but the medical boards. I'd of happily stayed longer trying to get there but I don't think that would of really been cost effective.

I would of been able to hand in my chit to leave after 4 years almost the day I would of got to a unit, so there was a potential of 1 years return of service out of all the money and time they would of pumped into me.

Knowing what I know now, I never would of joined in the first place as I don't really think my body would of ever been ready for something like the Marines. Even now nearly 3 years later my injury stops me doing things. If I got the chance to go back in time I would of went Raliegh instead of CTC.

I've PM'd you about the getting out bit, don't really think it's something that should be discussed on an open forum

Chelonian

Reaction score
If you really do want to leave, why post on a website that you know is going to advise you to do the opposite?

It's not my place to speak for anyone else but my interpretation was that the OP was sharing some aspects of what is an informed decision based upon his experience and his aspirations.

Advice is a funny old thing. None of us truly understand the circumstances of others so perhaps all we can do is to throw our ideas and comments into the mix in the hope that some will be of help?

Seems like you’re still battling the two voices in your head mate

The OP probably is. And may well do so for some time. That would be understandable and perfectly natural. I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that he hasn't totally ruled out a return at some future time. :)