Leaving University

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by Captain_Frog, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Captain_Frog

Captain_Frog New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Last year I attended a university in the south of England and decided it was not for me (Family issues, money problems etc) so I decided to drop out. However a few months after I left last year I applied again for this year because my situation in life was much better and I'm currently at university in London I think I've made another mistake.

I wanted to join the Royal Marines as an officer after I finished university but I can see now I just don't have my heart set on further education. I fear that my chances of being accepted are extremely slim considering I left university the first time. I'm 20 (21 in February) and would just like to ask if I have a chance?

2. PotentialToff

PotentialToff Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    How many UCAS points and across what? (Go on the Royal Navy Website to see if you qualify)

If you're under 26 years old (which you are) and have enough UCAS points and across the right things everything will be fine for you to attempt the selection with or without a degree.

If you are completely against University then I would suggest, leave university and begin the application process but it is a long winded process so you must have a plan B to tie you over until September. Also you must be near or at the physical standards to pass POC as they will put you on one as soon as possible (considering they are running as of this month it may be very soon).

You will need to also think of a good reason why you have left uni twice as they will ask about this to test if you are the kind of character they want.

Other than that crack on!

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  3. Captain_Frog

Captain_Frog New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Yes I've got 380-400 UCAS points (From a Level 3 Extended Diploma BTEC in ICT) with 5 A*-C GCSE's.

Thanks for the reply! The thing I am worried about as you said is the fact I left twice, I do believe in myself that I can actually get through it though. However if I do fall short during the interview stage I will try my best to join as enlisted.

Can I ask when the next intake is? I've heard the last date is in May 2017 although I don't know if that's accurate at all.

4. PotentialToff

PotentialToff Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    You will have the Recruitment Test, Medical then the PJFT to worry about followed by a SIFT so depending on how smoothly it goes it will probably mean you'll be about 2 months away from being on the POC. However you might glide through at the speed of light. Which means you could be on a January POC.

However after re-reading your question I realised I answered your question wrong.

There is one Batch a year and it is in September.

5. BoxSwallow

BoxSwallow Active Member

Definitely as PotentialToff says think of a good reason why you left Uni twice and some kind of reassurance that you won't do the same in RMYO training. What leadership experience do you have?

• Like Like x 1
  6. PotentialToff

PotentialToff Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I think it is about convincing them to believe in you regarding you leaving uni. If you go in and say you left Uni because it was hard etc... you may aswell not apply as they'll be thinking YO training will chew you up and spit you out.

I think you just need to find a way to put in words how you feel about the RM and how you feel higher/further education wasn't for you (be very careful as it is common for a head teacher to sit on the board of AIB).

7. Captain_Frog

Captain_Frog New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Yeah I'll do my best.

I have been head boy back in my school days and I've been captain of a few football teams and was team leader whilst working at a theme park. I can see what you're saying about experience, starting to think I should go for the enlisted rather than officer.

In your opinion would there be a way for making up for it in a different area? Say physical fitness or determination while on the course?

8. BoxSwallow

BoxSwallow Active Member

They assess your Physical fitness and determination mainly at POC I think but at AIB they will be looking explicitly for your leadership potential/leadership skills and in the interview portion they will be asking about your leadership experience. You might get on alright with being captain of a few football teams and team leader at theme park so by all means give the Officer route a good go but just to properly manage your expectation there will often be loads more RMYO applicants than there are places for the one batch per year so they can afford to be very picky and choose only the best guys so even if you pass AIB you may not be chosen for the batch. If you believe in yourself and your ability and think you can do it then by all means give it your best try!

9. PotentialToff

PotentialToff Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    As swallow says you must be physically fit to pass POC so everyone in AIB for RMYO is a determined and fit individual. AIB is about teamwork, personality, experience, commitment and intelligence. Not a huge emphasis on fitness there.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  10. cc1

cc1 Royal Marines Commando

If you think the AIB would take a dim view on dropping out of University once - what do you reckon their view will be on doing it twice?

As much as you sugar coat it: repeatedly jacking things in because you lose heart isn't going to make them jump out of their seat with enthusiasm.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  11. Ryko

Ryko Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I was in the same situation mate. Went to Uni, dropped out and was going to apply for officer but I decided last minute to go back to uni. I made the best of it for 4 years and got a decent degree, although I wanted to jack it in a lot but I stuck it out and it was worth it when I went for officer. They did ask me about dropping out once and why I changed my degree etc. Anyway in the end I actually decided I didn't even want to be an officer and now I'm going other rank route so didn't even need uni in the end. But it's nice to know I stuck it out and got a good degree even though I hated it.

My advice would be stick it out. I saw that you had money issues. In Ireland Uni is free at the moment so I didn't have any excuse to drop out but I'd still say if you can afford it stick it out.

Otherwise just be totally honest at AIB and let them know that Uni wasn't for you. It's boring, you're surrounded by *text deleted*s and it's a four year commitment for something you're not really interested in, that's how I felt about it anyway.

Either route you choose mate I hope it goes well for you. I know the stress.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

If you do choose to bin your university course I'll wager that you will be asked the following question at AFCO and at AIB:

"We see that you dropped out of two university courses. If accepted, what makes you think that that you won't drop out of Royal Marines training?"

Consider giving the question serious thought. The answer should be honest and credible. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 2
  13. H01ty

H01ty Active Member

I seriously wouldn't recommend dropping out again. Nothing wrong with dropping out once and picking a new path - there's a reason you get funding for up to 4 years undergrad because it's so common for people to switch after a year due to change of heart - but dropping out twice will potentially screw you over. You may fail AIB due to it reflecting poorly, but even if you get into the YO batch there's no guarantee you'll pass out; you could get discharged with injury or professionally. Then you would find yourself with RM not an option, and ineligible to fully fund another degree (a third uni course may even look at your track record and say no).

I despised my degree at times - never made it known to my lecturers but discussed dropping out with family and friends more times than I can count. But it went quickly, and I drew the positives that I could out of it (e.g., freedom greater than you'll find anywhere else, unrestricted social life, my own place, chose a dissertation I was genuinely interested in and therefore enjoyed writing which was reflected in getting a 2:1, made a range of close friends outside of the RM world). Now I've graduated and, even though I'm finally starting regular training as an OR which I've always wanted, I'm still a bit jealous when I see care-free students about.

To paraphrase a Corporal on my first PRMC when I was 18, which ultimately lead me to start uni, "the Corps has been here around 350 years, we will still be here in 3-5 years' time, but certain other opportunities might not be. If you have any education left to get, from BTEC right up to a degree, get that first as you are more use to us and yourself with an education".

• Like Like x 1
  14. DutyWretch

DutyWretch Royal Marines Commando

From a mere grunt, I'd suggest you finish uni this time.

A Royal Marines officer has an extremely bright future after he completes his service, a RM enlisted rank (without a degree and without a half/full pension) Not so much. Trust me on this.

Employers are always impressed by my service undoubtedly, and a glowing testimonial from the Royal Marines is great, but leaving as I did with zero transferable skills (career GD Marine) is very very tough.

I was extremely lucky to get my current job, but that was through who I knew not what I knew, and a uni degree would be a great leg up.

The AIB is tough, RM officers training is really tough, and there is a very real possibility even if you do pass the preliminaries, you will not become an RM officer, many fine, intelligent and highly fit motivated young men, do not achieve it.

Finish your degree, you're young, but need to start sorting your life out in a ordered fashion, then enter the system older, stronger and wiser with a decent education to fall back on.

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

There's an imaginary word we seek evidence of...stickability.

If you can demonstrate it elsewhere in spades, then that may help mitigate a couple of false starts.

With regard being head boy in school,good at sports, etc, that demonstrates you can excel in things you are good at but wrapping from uni twice could could also indicate the opposite with regard things in which you may not excel.

To meet the September 2017 YO entry, you need to get your application underway before the end of next month (December 2016).

Best of luck.