Leaving

Discussion in 'RM Officer questions' started by 400th_FakeMcNab, May 18, 2016.

1. 400th_FakeMcNab

400th_FakeMcNab New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    For this I am assuming that the AIB is the last stage before initial officer training or am I wrong can someone please explain what happens after your AIB (pass/fail, how long...)?

Anyway, this probably sounds stupid as it would be uncommon, I think, but what if someone (aiming to be an officer) was to pass every stage including the AIB and the POC and then wanted to leave even before actual training started. Obviously it would be hard getting that far to be accepted for initial training but what if someone thought that they are just really making a bad decision. Can they just say no and not go to the training and then carry on with their life like they didn't even get that far.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Yep.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Longer version:

AIB is the last bit. The selection board sits 3rd week of June & announces the final cut for the September intake.

Those who don't make the cut can either re-apply for the following year if still eligible, join as an other rank or jib it entirely.

With regard not joining or leaving as a Young Officer in training, it makes sense to let them go because a leader who doesn't want to be there is a dangerous waste of training space.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 400th_FakeMcNab

400th_FakeMcNab New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks Ninja, i'm trying to find out all of my options as I am thinking of applying for the RM young officer course but i'm not 100% confident on making a big decision like that as i'm worried that it might not be the right career for me and also as it would change anyone's chances of success if they are more confident that they actually want to be there doing it.

5. VerlorenHoop

VerlorenHoop Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Based purely on what I've heard and read, if you get to the point where you're being considered by the board, you have clearly decided you want it. There's a long and difficult process to get to that point first.

6. blacky

blacky Member

@Ninja_Stoker is it correct you could as a YO pass the commando phase of training, earns the green lid and then resign?

I have always wandered how it is possible due to funding etc but understand they don't want leaders who don't want to be there but is there any clause etc of paying money back etc?