legs stiffening up.

lewiss

Reaction score
hey all.

have just started getting fit and prepearing for the mariens.

i've been running for about 2 weeks now (3 times a week) for about 2 miles on the road.

just recently my legs seem to have gotten stiffer and not realy work so well. they feel fine when i stretch them, but when i run i can't seem to go nearly as fast as i used to, and my legs arn't as flexible so i get no 'pop' when i run. (if that made sense)

could anyone shed some light over this? i've had this problem ever since i can rember, but it normaly takes about 4 months for my legs to get back into normal working order.

why does this happen?
how can i avoid this/fix it?

thanks alot, lewis.:rock:

Dodger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
when you say your legs...
Is it your hamstrings? calf's? Quads?

lewiss

Reaction score
Mainly my quads, but my hamstrings aren't great either.

Sorry, should have said.

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Tightness

Lewis: Firstly check your training shoes to be sure they're the right type for running and that you are getting enough cushoning from them.

Secondly take more time over stretching your muscles. You should hold each stretch for no less than 20 seconds. Additionally, its best to do some sort of mini warm up before you stretch as muscles stretch better when they're warm. Stretch before and after your runs.

Thirdly, look at how often you are running, you may need a break. Also, try and run on tracks, where posible and not on the roads as roads are harder surfaces which will have a bigger impact on your legs.

All the very best

Steve

Latest posts

New Threads