Length of joining process ?

robinhood97

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Just wondering roughly how long the joining process is from first applying to completion of the ROP. I reckon I'm about 3-4 months of being comfortably fit enough to complete the vpjft, any advice on whether I should apply right now or just wait till I'm fit enough and apply then? Any answers back are much appreciated.
Cheers

OddPikeFromCrimsonCity.

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Just wondering roughly how long the joining process is from first applying to completion of the ROP. I reckon I'm about 3-4 months of being comfortably fit enough to complete the vpjft, any advice on whether I should apply right now or just wait till I'm fit enough and apply then? Any answers back are much appreciated.
Cheers
Apply now. The wait times are very long and you will get a ROP date very late on in the year. In fact I wouldn’t be suprised if you got an ROP date for 2022, if you look at another thread someone is on the September ROP. applications have surged During lockdown.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
It's a bit subjective, but if applying before ready to take & pass the vPJFT, it doesn't mean you will join any sooner, it just means your application will come to a grinding halt sooner.

Already people are being offered entry dates before they have successfully completed selection and it seems kinda counterproductive to be allocating start dates before people are ready to join & who are then bitterly disappointed because they can't complete before their provisional entry date. Not a great introduction to the armed forces.

Curql

Reaction score
Honestly it’s hard to even give an estimate as to how long the application process is as there’s so many different things that vary on like how your AFCO is dealing with things and if they’re busy or not. I applied and took 13 days for me to get a call from the AFCO, day later I got a call about scheduling my interview and there were dates for literally the next day.

J9R4W

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
For anyone interested, I called my AFCO in the Bristol area about this a few weeks ago and the recruiter said that after making the initial online application it was roughly:

(2-3 weeks) > Interview > (x2 months) > Medical triage > (x1 month) > PJFT > (x2 months) RT.

I don't know how this compares to other AFCOs around the UK but he did say there was a delay built up in the system.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
Apply now. The wait times are very long and you will get a ROP date very late on in the year. In fact I wouldn’t be suprised if you got an ROP date for 2022, if you look at another thread someone is on the September ROP. applications have surged During lockdown.
Not quite correct - applicants who have completed Triage and VPJFT are being allocated for June / July intakes as of now.! - these parts of the process can be done in 4-8 weeks if bit,s done swiftly by the individual and AFCO, and as we have been in this COVID processing on 1-year AFCO processes are now not any slower than prior to COVID overall.

When you apply and how quickly you can progress often can depend on the applicant, If you get an applicant that does all their paperwork in the space of a few days, and replies to communications when sent promptly they will get through the process quicker as the AFCO will quickly pick up on this. Unfortunately, more than a few applicants take ages to do and complete basic requests from AFCO,s. Also as alluded to by @Ninja_Stoker many apply and they are not in any way ready, you should be fit and ready to apply when you do, the application period is not there for a time to get fit!. Also as COVID relaxes so timings may speed up for things such as eye tests which are slower at present, but you still move along the process with this issue & face to face medicals will also become more available.

The few aspects the AFCO can di little about and is an issue due to reduced manning is medicals & medical appeals - and this can be so open-ended for a variety of reasons m but if you do not get stuck in this an application "can" go through in 4-5 months even with COVID.

r_yh__n

Reaction score
Should somebody like me who's 15 apply now then, to get a place when I'm 16?

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
You cannot apply until 15y 9 m - and then only apply if you are physically ready to apply. The failure rate for 16-year-olds in training is high!! and some age and possible maturity will help, but at the end of the day it is your choice.

OddPikeFromCrimsonCity.

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Not quite correct - applicants who have completed Triage and VPJFT are being allocated for June / July intakes as of now.! - these parts of the process can be done in 4-8 weeks if bit,s done swiftly by the individual and AFCO, and as we have been in this COVID processing on 1-year AFCO processes are now not any slower than prior to COVID overall.

When you apply and how quickly you can progress often can depend on the applicant, If you get an applicant that does all their paperwork in the space of a few days, and replies to communications when sent promptly they will get through the process quicker as the AFCO will quickly pick up on this. Unfortunately, more than a few applicants take ages to do and complete basic requests from AFCO,s. Also as alluded to by @Ninja_Stoker many apply and they are not in any way ready, you should be fit and ready to apply when you do, the application period is not there for a time to get fit!. Also as COVID relaxes so timings may speed up for things such as eye tests which are slower at present, but you still move along the process with this issue & face to face medicals will also become more available.

The few aspects the AFCO can di little about and is an issue due to reduced manning is medicals & medical appeals - and this can be so open-ended for a variety of reasons m but if you do not get stuck in this an application "can" go through in 4-5 months even with COVID.
sorry my bad

OddPikeFromCrimsonCity.

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You cannot apply until 15y 9 m - and then only apply if you are physically ready to apply. The failure rate for 16-year-olds in training is high!! and some age and possible maturity will help, but at the end of the day it is your choice.
also one thing to point out is that having a levels is good when you leave RM

dolly

Reaction score
For anyone interested, I called my AFCO in the Bristol area about this a few weeks ago and the recruiter said that after making the initial online application it was roughly:

(2-3 weeks) > Interview > (x2 months) > Medical triage > (x1 month) > PJFT > (x2 months) RT.

I don't know how this compares to other AFCOs around the UK but he did say there was a delay built up in the system.
Missed out the F2F Medical - aka, the hardest part of selection...that can add anything from a month to a year or more depending if made TMU or not

J9R4W

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Missed out the F2F Medical - aka, the hardest part of selection...that can add anything from a month to a year or more depending if made TMU or not
Yeah good point. I don't remember hearing about the F2F medical from speaking w/ my recruiter, but I read elsewhere on the forum that that happens when you arrive at CTC, is that not the case? Cheers.

dolly

Reaction score
Yeah good point. I don't remember hearing about the F2F medical from speaking w/ my recruiter, but I read elsewhere on the forum that that happens when you arrive at CTC, is that not the case? Cheers.
He might have accidentally left it out or meant that the medical triage also included the F2F perhaps? And no mate, all medicals are conducted by a doctor working for Capita; you'll conduct one at the nearest Capita medical office prior to joining.

J9R4W

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
He might have accidentally left it out or meant that the medical triage also included the F2F perhaps? And no mate, all medicals are conducted by a doctor working for Capita; you'll conduct one at the nearest Capita medical office prior to joining.
Okay cheers mate.