length of service

miramira

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i was wondering whats the average time that most marines do? also whats the minium time you can serve? I was told its about 4 years.

Simmoinshoes

Reaction score
I think the full career is 18 years or until the age of forty, which ever is later, but once in RT you can't quit for the first 4 weeks. After that you can quit anytime during training with a weeks notice. Once you've passed out you must serve a minimum of 2 and a half years before you can hand in your notice witch is a year. So 3 and a half years from passing out is minimum.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I think the full career is 18 years or until the age of forty, which ever is later, but once in RT you can't quit for the first 4 weeks. After that you can quit anytime during training with a weeks notice. Once you've passed out you must serve a minimum of 2 and a half years before you can hand in your notice witch is a year. So 3 and a half years from passing out is minimum.

Pretty much spot on!

If you don't submit your notice in the first 6 months- After you complete training it works out as follows:

RT: 8 Months (assuming you aren't back-trooped)
Return of Service: 30 months (after which point you can submit notice at any stage throughout your career)
Notice: 12 months

Total minimum service: 4 years 2 months.