Length of time at new unit (2nd Split - First day in your unit?)

AsdaOwn

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I managed to do just short of 2.5 years but lots of people did a lot less
Do you get to apply for certain units. For example if I end up in CLR can I apply for 45 commando after? Or if I’m 45 Commando can I apply for the Royal Marine police for example?

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Do you get to apply for certain units. For example if I end up in CLR can I apply for 45 commando after? Or if I’m 45 Commando can I apply for the Royal Marine police for example?
You can apply to transfer Unit or sometimes swap a 1 for 1 with another lad who wants to go to your unit.

RM Police will be different as you may need to go for a training course beforehand.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you Rob20. When I search on here for recently passed marines a lot say they are going to the CLR? Is this seen as a bad posting and if so why?

Never been CLR so can't comment. Although I know new lads are getting drafted to 42 now which hadn't been happening for some time previously

B11

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
You apply towards the end of training, I don’t know about clr, lads weren't going there when I passed out but it sounds like it’s slightly different now. MP you had to be a Lance Corporal for so you wouldn’t get that straight away.
My advice would be to get your preference in for unit, but not get too caught up about it. Get your head down, learn as much as you can wherever you go, get your spec in (although they look like they are changing the way things run) and get on as many courses as you can.

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
A lot of the questions being asked completely vary really...

Me and one other lad joined my coy, I was lucky to stay in that troop for 4 years, some other lads didnt even get 2!

I'd say the baseline average to go for is pass out, 2 months of driver training at CTC, get to your unit, 2 years there before you move on.

Tegridy_terry

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
CLR is mainly SQ based so you won’t normally go there straight from training unless you go as GD(D). 42 is busy (at the moment) and on a rotation so you’ll stay with your COY for the two years but your job role will keep changing every 6 months.
RMP is an SQ so have a bit of fun getting to know the Corps before signing your life away to something you might not enjoy (spec wise).