Life after pass out and MMA

Vermilionleech

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I've been doing alot of MMA style training in the past few months to prepare for the marines. And if I'm honest, it's something I really want to continue after the 32 weeks. I'm aware that they've got re-org, but I was wondering what opportunities would I have to train MMA? Of course I'd be a soldier, first and
foremost. But it's something I'd like to pursue as a secondary thing on top of it all.

I don't hear much about life after pass out, when you're on tour or on a ship or something similar you'd be working, so there wouldn't be much of a chance to do it. Not in the conventional sense at least. So I was curious as to whether I'd be able to pursue this hobby?

Secondly, how much leave would I get a year? and how much time would I get to spend at home? I don't expect to come home alot, and thats not an issue.

I'm not sure what would happen when it comes to living arrangements either. I'm 18, and single so can't go for the married partner route. Would I be living on base when on leave? If so, what is it like?

I'm basically just asking what it would be like day to day in the marines? whats the fitness training like post 32 weeks? whats the living quarters like? etc etc. Hopefully this doesn't come across as an unstructured mess, just would like a greater understanding of it all, and does MMA fit into it.

Thanks guys

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I've been doing alot of MMA style training in the past few months to prepare for the marines. And if I'm honest, it's something I really want to continue after the 32 weeks. I'm aware that they've got re-org, but I was wondering what opportunities would I have to train MMA? Of course I'd be a soldier, first and
foremost. But it's something I'd like to pursue as a secondary thing on top of it all.

I don't hear much about life after pass out, when you're on tour or on a ship or something similar you'd be working, so there wouldn't be much of a chance to do it. Not in the conventional sense at least. So I was curious as to whether I'd be able to pursue this hobby?

Secondly, how much leave would I get a year? and how much time would I get to spend at home? I don't expect to come home alot, and thats not an issue.

I'm not sure what would happen when it comes to living arrangements either. I'm 18, and single so can't go for the married partner route. Would I be living on base when on leave? If so, what is it like?

I'm basically just asking what it would be like day to day in the marines? whats the fitness training like post 32 weeks? whats the living quarters like? etc etc. Hopefully this doesn't come across as an unstructured mess, just would like a greater understanding of it all, and does MMA fit into it.

Thanks guys

There’s numerous martial arts clubs and if there isn’t a club for it, there’s usually a few lads with an interest that get together of an evening.
Whenever you are on camp and have downtime, you can pretty much do nearly anything you can think of.

There’s a thread on here about day to day routine.

Living quarters on camp are either 1 man rooms or 4 man rooms. Depending on where you go. You can stay on campnduring leave if you want, there’s usually a few camp orphans kicking about.

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
There is nothing to stop you joining an MMA club in the locality of wherever you maybe based. The downside is you would have to pay to use any civilian facilities, whereas anything done on base is usually free.

Whilst your day is structured, it is much less so than at CTC. Think laid back and then some.

Alan

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If you wish to contact myself or @CHUB! we can pass on the contact details of the Corps Martial Arts guru, a fellow careers adviser. He is so in tune with the martial arts and zen, he doesn't actually sit on a chair, he hovers 5 cms above it and can make buttons vanish off shirts by the power of thought alone. Gen.

He'll be happy to give you specific details of what's available, where and to what standard. But, as you rightly observe, you need to be in it to win it, so the first priority is Kings Squad.

Vermilionleech

Reaction score
There’s a thread on here about day to day routine.

Would you be able to point me in the direction of it? I had a look prior to making this post, couldnt seem to find it. Perhaps I missed it.

Whilst your day is structured, it is much less so than at CTC. Think laid back and then some.

I just imagine alot of training? Training exercises, running drills, that kind of thing. Just staying on top of it all.

If you wish to contact myself or @CHUB! we can pass on the contact details of the Corps Martial Arts guru, a fellow careers adviser. He is so in tune with the martial arts and zen, he doesn't actually sit on a chair, he hovers 5 cms above it and can make buttons vanish off shirts by the power of thought alone. Gen.

He'll be happy to give you specific details of what's available, where and to what standard. But, as you rightly observe, you need to be in it to win it, so the first priority is Kings Squad.

Yeah that would be awesome to get an email or something. I'm not a marine yet, but just thinking about what I hope to achieve in the career.

RM2977

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Most of the guys I know who compete in MMA usually train with the corps BJJ and boxing teams during the week, and at weekends/leave train at whatever MMA gym they fight out of at home.

Vermilionleech

Reaction score
Most of the guys I know who compete in MMA usually train with the corps BJJ and boxing teams during the week, and at weekends/leave train at whatever MMA gym they fight out of at home.

Sound perfect to be honest. The gym I'm with now do a fair amount of sessions on the weekends, and I work with a couple coaches, so I'll hopefully be able to continue that during the weekends.

The closest base at the moment is Somerset, do I get any choice in what unit I become apart of? Of course I'll be happy to based anywhere in the country, but Somerset would be my preference.

RM2977

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sound perfect to be honest. The gym I'm with now do a fair amount of sessions on the weekends, and I work with a couple coaches, so I'll hopefully be able to continue that during the weekends.

The closest base at the moment is Somerset, do I get any choice in what unit I become apart of? Of course I'll be happy to based anywhere in the country, but Somerset would be my preference.

You will put in your preferences towards the end of training and it gets taken into consideration, but ultimately you go where the corps needs manpower.

TritoMarine

Reaction score

Making shirt buttons vanish is a good skill for a night out with the lads

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pumber21 Life advice post pass out Jollies Bar 15
Bella88 Life after pass out? Parents & Partners 13
M Life after you pass out? RM Officer questions 6